Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2013 250 SHO - Intermittent Miss

Maybe some of you have run across this….

Bought the boat last march and performed the proper break-in procedure and had my 10 hour service…they said I made a little oil, but wasn't bad. Soon after that I developed an intermittent miss. While idling every once in while it would miss and when I try to get on pad it would miss really bad…I would bring the boat back to idle, put in neutral and rev it up a couple of times put back in gear and then would run great. I took it to the shop and they put it on the computer and found nothing wrong with it. They checked the fuel, changed filters, checked water separator, performed a factory recall of some sort…something with the flywheel i think.

I pick it up and it runs great, fish two or three tourneys put about 20-30 more hours on it and it performed great until last weekend…you guessed it, it started it again. I have only run non ethanol premium fuel and honestly the boat has not sat long enough for any of it go bad. Also the weather was hot and humid the first time it happened and this time it was cool with low humidity.

Have any of you guys experienced an intermittent miss like this. I will be taking it back to the dealer this week to have them run a diagnostic check on it, but for some reason I suspect they will not find anything…again.

Thanks for any feedback you have.

Steve

2. Member
    Do you know where your oil level is at? I would pull the spark plugs and look for anything different. This will tell you if there is a cyclinder problem as in oil fouling. If oil level is high this may also cause a miss due to fuel in oil causing a rich mixture.

3. Member
    Chek battery connection's. Deep six any wing nut's you may have on the starting battery and replace with hex head lock nut's. If problem persist try a new cranking battery. If you need to replace go with a 29 series. Thank's Martin

4. Member
    The fact that after they serviced the filters, it ran great.... I would look at the filters again. Maybe you are getting bad gas with water in it. Good Luck and post back the solution if you get one.

I will change the oil in the morning and double check the oil level before draining it. I checked it last weekend and was just a tad over full..not even a 1/16" over. I do have a couple wing nuts and will deep six those as well. The boat is under factory warranty so if the items you guys suggested don't straighten it out I will take it back in.

Appreciate it the feedback.

I will check the fuel as well.

When you say "premium fuel" are you running higher than 89 octane in it?

8. Member
    I really didn't mean for you to run out and change the oil unless it's due. If it's not over full due to excessive fuel contamination then that's not the problem.

9. Member
    my sho kinda did the same !!!!! I was told to run Yamaha ring free every time I put gas !!!wow!!!!! its exspensive .in seem to have fixed my problems .. the sho is a sensitive beast

I appreciate all the comments. I have been running some 91 octane thru it and use ring free every tank and yup they are proud of that stuff. I will plead ignorance on the octane as I was told today that I need to run 89. It is not time to change the oil but if it is over full from making oil I will change it. Will follow up with y'all when I find out more.

11. Member
    I had almost identical symptoms with my 250 HPDI & it turned out to be the idle sensor switch. But the reason it did it with the HPDI is because it idles on 4 cylinders. Not sure if it could be the same deal on the SHO.

12. Member
    I have a 2012 250 SHO and mine was doing exactly what you described. I pulled a plug and the insulator was cracked. Installed new plugs and everything was perfect. I am not saying that is what yours is but it was my problem.

JRBjr, Was your miss constant or would it appear to clean up? While I have the cowling off I may pull the plugs and check them. I haven't had it on the computer lately but I suspect I have less than 40 hours on it.

I really appreciate all the responses!

Checking the plugs and the caps on the plugs may not be a bad idea. I had a similar issue on my old Yamaha that drove me crazy. One of the members here told me to check the caps that snap on the plugs and sure as the world, one was loose. Checked them all and made sure they were all snug and never had another issue.

15. Member
    The miss was not constant but intermittent. When I showered down on it, I felt no miss usually. At idle I could hear it and feel it. It was getting worse every trip until I found the cause. One of the insulators of your plugs may be cracked.

16. Banned
    Ringfree Plus is something like 7 cents per gallon to use as it dilutes to 1280:1. SeaFoam is different stuff, but it's 34 cents per gallon @ list price. Sea Foam's just too expensive to use every day.

Just an update and again I appreciate all the help.

1) Pulled all the plugs and checked the gap, cleaned them with a little emory cloth, inspected porcelain and insulators, and checked the plug wires. I have never seen plug wires like these as there is no clamp that snaps on the plug…it is basically a spring that touches the end of the plug. There is no positive feeling of hearing it "snap" on. On another note and not sure what you guys SHO plugs look like, but my plugs had very little color. This thing must run extremely lean.
    2) Checked all cable connections.
    3) Oil - Warmed it up, checked the level and it was basically in the middle of the two marks. Drained, tilt/trimmed several times to make sure I got it all drained and refilled.

Really the only thing left, that I can do anyway, is to check/change filters. Oh, and I do use ring free plus and keep my tanks topped of.

I had planned to run it this weekend but installing new graphs instead. Again, thanks for the input and will post back when I get this thing figured out. It's really pissing me off as I just bought this thing last March.

Do you have a 10 micron filter in the bilge area between the main tank and the engine? If you do I would check it, remove it and pour the contents into a glass jar and see if you have any debris or water in the fuel. Possibly look at the connections to it and make sure you don't have a hose that is a little collapsed or soft. If I couldn't find anything with that then I would be on the phone with the dealer or maybe even a call to Yamaha? It seems as though you have gone through all the basics.

What kind of graphs are you installing? I only ask because if it is Lowrance you can get an adapter and monitor some of the engine statistics on the info screen.I have mine linked and it's a nice feature to have.

I had planned on pulling all the filters and doing that. When I had the exact problem before the dealer changed the filters and said they were perfect…but I will do it again. I have tried to work this through the dealer and although they have been good to deal they don't know what to do with it either. My next move is to call Yamaha like you suggested.

I currently have a pair of HDS 8 Gen2's and replacing them with 12 T's. I think all I need is the engine interface cable P/N 000-0120-37…not exactly sure. Is there additional NEMA items I need to purchase as well to connect it all up???

The best I can tell with the basic kit (or the one cable) it will monitor; RPM, voltage, engine hours and temp. But for fuel pressure, fuel rate, oil pressure, and water pressure I will need to purchase additional items.

Which ones do you have interfaced with HDS?

20. Member
    Yamaha requires a 10 micron filter as Stratos21XL states in his post and there is also a small filter on the motor. Filters should have been replaced after first 20 hours and then every 100. I change mine at end of every season regardless, as I do with oil/filter on motor and lower unit. I do all maintenance myself and purchased a service manual. I purchase all supplies, oil, ring free, treatment from Shipyard Island Marine in Washington Island, Wisc. I purchase by the case and prices are much cheaper than at my local dealer. Keep a detailed record of all purchases and a log when I do maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast