Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am using a Lowrance HDS-8 to monitor mine. You will need a NMEA 2000 starter kit and the Yamaha adapter cable 120-37.

Okay…an update on the miss in the SHO.

I checked plugs and plug gap, change all the filters, checked everything…still missed.

I checked, and re-checked my oil level and the best i could determine it was a little over full. What I mean by that is that I would check it with motor level (or perfectly vertical) after sitting all night and checking…it was over full, but the dealer had instructed me to run it for a few minutes to warm and wait a few more minutes then check. Using the dealers method I could never get a consistent reading.

So, I changed the oil myself and drained it and tilted the engine up and down 5-6 times to make sure all the oil was completely drained. Honestly I probably got another 1/2 quart or so by raising and lowering several times. I then added 6.75 quarts and a new filter. The dealer only vacuumed it out and added 6.75 quarts…I honestly don't think they ever got all the oil out of it then inadvertently over filled it.

The engine has not missed one time since then….I can't answer why but the engine does not miss anymore.

Question…am I the only that has had this issue and could some of the "making oil" issue be due to the fact that all of the oil is NOT drained to begin with. I am not boat engine mechanic but used to race stock cars and build my own engines back in the day…so I would think that i could at least check the oil properly. Maybe not.

Confused

3. Member
    If the oil was heavily diluted with fuel it could affect the cam timing. The cam timing is adjusted with oil pressure and if the oil is thinner than spec it may not adjust the cams correctly.

Thanks for the response BM. I hope this dude quits making oil. Not sure how many hours I have on it but suspect it is somewhere in the 40-50 range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12