What really makes a boat a multi-species?

Just wondering. I have a Viper Coral 202 that I would contend is actually a multi-species boat. This is my second one and like the first I removed the rear bench for greater fishing room and I am working on setup purely for fishing. Vipers/Cobras/Legends are known for their rough water ride which is also an important multi-species attribute. Front rod lockers hold 7ft rods easily and plenty of them. I fished some truly nasty water in Puget Sound and Neah Bay going after early season lingcod and this boat really shined. Even impressed a game warden when he pulled up to check our gear and catch. So what makes a multi-species? What are their most important attributes?
    Beater boats catch fish too... It's what I have to tell myself right now...

2. Member
    I would say the ability to mount a kicker for all day trolling would be at the top of he list. The added weight on the back of most bass boats would be too much even if you could jury rig a kicker. The ability to do some back trolling without getting swamped as you would in a bass boat rates up there also.

3. Banned
    Higher freeboard and a deeper V-hull to handle rougher water.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Higher freeboard and a deeper V-hull to handle rougher water.
    thus being able to get to, and fish for, other types of fish beside (and including) bass, making it a "multi species" boat.

multi species boats can have just as "fisherman friendly" of an interior layout as any bassboat.
    My alumacraft has a center front rod locker that hold 8 rods up to 7-1/2' long (with a NICE quality built in rod rack system) and a side rod locker that'll hold 6 more rods up to 7-1/2' long, also with a built in rod rack system. It'll fish in 12" of water if needed, yet handle Lake Erie when needed.

Maybe they should be called " multi talented" boats!
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 01-18-2014 at 07:20 PM.

I agree with the comments. but if yours is doing what you want it to then by all means its what ever you want it to be. Multi species i believe is more a type of fisherman than boat.

My ride....

Mylund.jpgcrappie5.jpg
    Lund Pilot

6. Wanabe Engineer LiveToDrive76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    I agree with the comments. but if yours is doing what you want it to then by all means its what ever you want it to be. Multi species i believe is more a type of fisherman than boat.
    Agreed, fisherman>boat

I've contemplated mounting a kicker but I've never really trolled all that much. I was saved buy the kicker once on a friends boat, big motor quit while fishing Puget Sound. I mostly walleye fish but I also bass fish on occasion and I'll also salmon and lingcod fish with my boat. Can't wait for the hard water to go away.

7. Banned
    I say I own the only real multi species boat.

8. Member
    Hey Guys,
    Most boats are either a "bass boat" or "multi-species", unless you add in the fish-n-ski, which is not in the discussion and a class of its own also. It seems that a guy should pick his rig depending on what you do. I own a 186TFX Yar-Craft and fish and guide for several species of fish on my home lake. A bass boat is typically designed for two persons, and set up for optimal casting type fishing. A multi boat has the walk around room for 3 or 4 persons and can cast, troll, and be comfortably fished by several people. Just my observations. Whatever type boat you run, it is the best boat for you and your kind of fishing. Its great that there are options for all of us to match what we like to do. I also like to pull my kids on the tube with the Yar!!! (and so do they)

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The bigger livewells ,baitwells,deeper interior to stand up .when the northern winds pick up you dont want to be standing on the decks.But you can do the same thing in a bassboat just more comfy in a multi speices boat.

10. Member
    You should be able to hit all of these for a multi species boat. Walleyes , deep v and ability to troll is a must, muskie you need a big live well 50". Bass you need a deck to cast off of. Ability to mount A downrigger on the side walls for trout.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    You should be able to hit all of these for a multi species boat. Walleyes , deep v and ability to troll is a must, muskie you need a big live well 50". Bass you need a deck to cast off of. Ability to mount A downrigger on the side walls for trout.
    I rest my case

12. Wanabe Engineer LiveToDrive76's Avatar
    Got it covered. When spring thaw gets here I'll have the multi I've always wanted. Still got a crap load of work to do but she'll be ready. I'm hoping to get out to Washington and do some lingcod fishing this spring also.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    I rest my case
    so YOURS is the only one!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    so YOURS is the only one!

Could be worse. I could have bought a go fast boat. Then I would be a real *****

BTW had your boat come in a 20 foot model I would have considered it

Think it just depends how you set it up. You can put rod holders on a bass boat and troll too. Mine has the rod holders coming and terrova on front for pulling spinners for walleye.