Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1982 Glastron Hpv165 complete restoration

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Last spring I picked up a 1982 Glastron Hpv165 powered by a Johnson 115. I spent some time getting the carbs on the motor cleaned up. I also had to rebuild and seal up my fuel line system so the motor would run strong. At the end of the summer I was really begining to enjoy the boating thing so I really started to ask a lot of questions and learn about motors, hulls etc..
    I spent some more time de-carbing the motor and bringing up the compression. I managed to bring the compression up a substantial amount and also pick up a few mph too. I also picked up a head gasket leak in the process so I'm planning to put a new powerhead gasket kit in the motor once I get further along with the restoration.
    Somewhere along the line of messing around with the motor, I started noticing some gelcoat cracking and the top motor mount bolts appeared to be sunken into the splashwell as if they were either way over torqued, the transom was soft allowing the motor to stress the glass in or both.
    So the real digging began. I degreased and cleaned every area on the transom and found some small but deep in appearance cracks extending out from underneath of the motor mount bracket where the mount bolts were. I then decided it was time to core sample my transom. Using a small diameter drill bit I drilled into the transom next to the upper mount bolts and toward the bottom of the lower transom. The results were deteriorated, wet and sponge like shavings. It was time to replace the transom.
    What I thought would be just lifting the cap and replacing the transom turned into a complete rebuild and restoration from the now ground and bare fiberglass hull out.
    I'm in the middle of the restoration and just this week at the end of a deconstruction process that I began last October. I have now just laminated and cut out my new transom board to fit the empty space in the hull where the transom and outer skin just completely fell apart during demo.
    I have learned a lot on the web about this process, and I have to say that I pretty much wouldn't be where I'm at without it and all of the people who have offered what seems to me to be priceless advice right now.
    So I guess if there is anyone willing to help out, I would really appreciate it.
    And thanks in advance!

Here's a number of posts with pics of my process so far...

20131021_221041.jpg20131023_151412.jpg20131023_160432.jpg20131023_172001.jpg20131023_201911.jpg
    Last edited by maryhannaj; 01-15-2014 at 04:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast