Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1. Member
    I've just gone through a couple months of my life in time lapse for you guys just in case you didn't have anything better to do. I have it down to where my hull is back to where it should be, I hope. I have have built up a suspension system and temp installed my new transom and an old stringer just to see if things are going to line up, and where they should line up.

So if you could make it through 20 posts worth of pics, thank you.

2. Member
    Wow, This is awesome. You sir are one for the details. I completely enjoyed the step by step photos. Will be watching this thread and how it turns out. I have been wanting to get a project boat and do a full restore. With being gone so much and moving where the Army wants me puts a damper on being able to do something like that right now. Keep the pics coming

3. Member
    Thank you Okiekid. It's been a lot of work. Frustrating sometimes, but it really must be worth it because I just keep goin. There have been a number of occasions that I thought I was just going to hook it up and drag it off to the junkyard.
    Sorry I didn't put any details along with the pics. I figured I would just throw the pics up there and if anyone had any comments, I would just try and answer to them at that point.

And you sir are the one who is awesome. That comment goes out to you and all of our current and former servicemen and servicewomen! I've been in your shoes. Or should I say "boots"?

4. Member
    Wow! Talk about taking the bull by the horns. This is a huge project. Great stuff so far. Can't wait to see more. Good luck!
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

5. Member
    Hey alright PowellsixO. Thanks for joining us. I hope to have a bit more done by tonight. I'd like to get the transom installed but I've got a bit more prep work, so I'm not sure if I'll get there.
    I'll keep you guys posted.

6. Member
    I've been wanting to build a gantry crane in my garage for sometime now, so that I can lift my Triton and paint the bottom of it with some of the Hullspeed F-Series Coating to add a little durability. I have also wanted to be able to redo the bunks on the trailer. I was a little scared honestly. I may have to give it a shot after seeing your handy work.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

7. Member
    I was really surprised how easily it lifted the cap off. I just used 2×4s but I wouldn't even hesitate to lift my entire combined hull now. Only I would use 2×6s instead.
    You should give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

8. Member
    Well I didn't get the transom installed. There was just too much prep work to do. I had no idea, but plywood really soaks up resin. I will still have to add a few coats before I can add any glass to it.
    I did get my glass cut for the transom and started wiping it with resin.
    When I did my grinding on the hull, I had to grind a large amount of PB and glass away from underneath of where the transom will go so I would have a smoother layup suface. So I added to it one 4 inch strip of CSM , one 4 inch and 8 inch layer of 1708.

DSC_0140.jpgDSC_0143.jpgDSC_0147.jpgDSC_0148.jpgDSC_0149.jpg

And that was all I got accomplished.

9. Member
    I got one layer of CSM and two layers of 1708 laminated to the transom. This isn't the way it's usually done, but this isn't really a normal style transom. And with the entire skin missing and the bottom of the hull transom area all chewed up, and after a lot of back and forth with opinions and ideas from some more experienced guys, I decided to try it this way.
    I layed-up the entire outboard facing area of the board with one layer of 1.5 oz CSM. Next I traced a general design of the damaged hull bottom onto two peices of 1708 and laminated them directly to the board as well.

DSC_0164.jpgDSC_0162.jpgDSC_0163.jpg

10. Member
    Ithen I wrenched to the hull back to where it should need to go(I hope), smeared a thick layer of PB onto the bottom of the transom and on the hull where the transom will sit, dropped the transom into place and shimmed it up a bit so that the wood isn't resting on the hull. Then I used two peices of angle iron and claped the transom to the outer transom sections. Then I drilled about six holes along the bottom of the hulls transom area that is damaged and tightened down the screws pulling the transoms bottom into the back of the hull to help glue it into place. And then smeared PB on the inside bottom and sides to also help glue it in and create a filleted joint between the hull and transom.

DSC_0165.jpgDSC_0166.jpgDSC_0168.jpgDSC_0167.jpg

11. Member
    After the PB got unintentionally real hot and set up. I removed the clamps to see if I could notice any shift. After that I took some more measurments to see if they matched right with the way they the cap should fit over the hull on the transom and then just set my peice of cut out splashwell over the transom to see how it will line up. So next for the transom, I have to trim and fill some areas on the hull where they now meet the new transom, tab it in and lay up 2 more layers of 1708 on both the inside and the outside.

DSC_0175.jpgDSC_0172.jpgDSC_0176.jpgDSC_0178.jpg

12. Member
    I managed to get a rough cut out of one of my new stringers done tonight. It still needs some work though. It needs to be shaved down a half inch in both the center and stern area to bring it down to the measurements I took of the floor height dropping down from my cross braces before demo. Because my original stringers were 143 inches long, I am going to sister joint 2 peices together using 16 inch joints all laminated together with titebond 3 wood glue, wait for about 24 hours and then seal it in polyester resin and glass it in. But the challenging part about it so far has been getting the right cut.
    Hopefully I will be able to get my stringers and ribs all cut and glassed in by the start of next week. Hopefully.

13. Member
    I really like all the pics really let's me know what I will ever get into if I decide to do a restoration on an old boat.

14. Member
    I will try and keep the progress posted. I just about decided to scrap the whole thing this weekend and go with something different. But I think that if I make a few changes to the way I have done the transom up to this point, I will be able to bring her back safely. I will need to add a few beef ups to the transom area aside from one thing I probably should have done before installing the transom. But for now I think I will just try and concentrate on cutting the new stringers and ribs so I can fit it all to the bare hull.
    Thanks to all for posting.

WOW YOU GO BOY.

Just gotta ask and maybe I missed it but how come you cut the back of the boat out? I feel for ya bud I did the transom in my old hpv170 and it was enough that I don't want to ever do it again. But awesome work keep it up.

17. Member
    Hey monsterman thanks and God Bless America!

Everydayangler. The answer to your transom skin question is, I didn't cut it out. When I was trying to seperate the transom from the skin, it came right out with it. Ya, I know. Really crappy! The transom had been rebuilt prior to my owning it. When the rebuild was done, they had decided to cut the skin of right at the adjoining angles and on the bottom.
    So I'm having a heck of a time fabricating a repair for it. I have had many different opinions on the way I should go about doing it. It's gonna take some time and a little bit of re-work from where I'm at with it right now, but I feel confident enough that with the fiberglass repairs I will do, some added support where the flotation pods join into the transom and adding a knee of sorts to the stringers, it should work out just fine. I nearly scrapped the entire project yesterday becuase of that terrible prior repair.
    I guess I will just have to work at it one peice at a time. I took a break from the transom and now i am trying to re-fabricate my stringers. I successfully ruined my first one today as a matter of fact.

18. CHAMPMANBILL
    I am loving the detailed photos. I have a 1989 CHAMPION that is getting some new color and a few up grades this spring / summer. I thought I was looking at a lot of work until I saw your posts, now mine seems like a walk in the park, so to speak. Can't wait to see the color prep and process. Love the lifting system too, WOW, great idea. Keep us posted.

19. Member
    I agree with these guys.... Awesome job!!! I love seeing projects like this and wish I had the time and patience to tackle something like this. Looks like you've got a good game plan so keep up the good work. I will be sure to keep a check on this thread to see more progress and pics....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast