Thread: 2003 Odessy

2003 Odessy

would like to change the skin on my pontoon how hard is that?

2. Banned
    Not hard at all, well, then again depends on you. I've done it twice now. I've got new skin to put on but I've got no help this time. Gonna let the new owner do it, skin is already pre-cut. But figure out how you're unbolting the fence rails from the boat, after you've removed the bimini frame. Some models its just a matter of removing the rub rails, the front and rear being the hardest because of space/obstructions and other hardware.

After getting your fence off, then its a matter of taking a drill bit that's just big enough to drill out the rivet heads to remove the skin (if its riveted on). Others styles have this bead that's folded over. For that style you'll want to carefully bend the edge (lip) at the bottom. This releases the tension so you can slide the panel out. To replace, put the same size replacement skin in. Depending on the places you get replacement skin from, it might be necessary to cut it down. To do that, take a helper, mark the skin with a razor knife, and bend it to snap it off (flex at the line), and carefully slide it back into the track. Then carefully tap the folded lip back into place. For riveted types, you'll need 2 tools that'll prove handy. Power drill with the proper size drill bit for the rivets you're going to use (blind side rivets), a rivet gun. If you have an air compressor, then I highly recommend the rivet air gun at Harbor Freight or similar discount store. Hand riveting hundreds of rivets is tiring to say the least. You still might have to cut the skin to size it to your fence rails.

Rivets are placed every six inches except for corners, then its just prior the the corner, in the middle of the corner and at the end of the corner or whatever makes it look good. Use aluminum blind side rivets available at most box hardware stores but if you get colored skin, then I'd suggest getting rivets that are also colored near as to color you're installing so it'll make it look very neat and won't notice the rivets.

If you drill/rivet your fence, it'll make it easier to bend in the corner without a wrinkle. Small clamps or grippers can really help keep it aligned straight. Restore Pontoon has custom fencing that can really make your boat look good. Newly Restore Pontoon Boat - RestorePontoon.com. For that fencing, you would need to call Restore Pontoon and talk to Ryan/Andrea.

any questions? Pontoon Seats, Pontoon Boat Seats, Pontoon Chairs, Pontoon Parts, Restore Pontoon, Pontoon Accessories, Marine Grade Carpet, Pontoon Deck, RestorePontoon.com, 32 Custom Color Pontoon Seat Options - RestorePontoon.com I go by AirForce on that forum.

3. Member
    Thank you that really helps.