Florida fishing in January

Hi everyone, I am taking my family to Disney for a few days in January and want to include a day of fishing. I need to first decide between ocean fishing and bass fishing (most likely on Lake Kissimmee, due to proximity to Orlando). We typically fish for bass and pike at home and have never fished in Florida before. Being from Canada, I don't have a good sense of the conditions in winter down there. It's -4F outside today, better for ice fishing than taking out the boat!

Recommendations? Will the weather be warm and calm enough out on the ocean?

Thanks,
    RocketRob

08' Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha 225hp 4-stroke

Mississippi Lake, Ottawa River (Canada)

2. Member
    Rob,

Not to sound like a smartass it but it depends, and could change at any second down here. Case in point...it was calm and 80 degrees yesterday, but today the wind is howling and it's in the mid 40s. Like anywhere else, January can be a bit unstable---but if you get it on a good day...look out, because the fishing can be awesome.

You could also book a Disney Fishing excursion at one of their lakes. Ask for Eddie (from New Jersey) if you decide to go that route.
    Last edited by FishinCustody; 12-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.

3. Member
    I would suggest freshwater ... Lake Toho is a good bet in January. It is closer to Disney than Lake Kissimmee and it is a VERY good lake to fish upon.

As noted, we were sweating yesterday in shorts. Today, we are freezing in jeans. Weather is always unpredictable in Florida and winter is the least predictable of all. No telling what you will get.

Haha, you local boys have a hard time when it gets below 70 don't you. ;) I just bought a place in Kissimmee and we are down from NC. Yeah, it's cooler today but I'm still shorts and a t-shirt. I could do without the wind though.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Haha, you local boys have a hard time when it gets below 70 don't you. ;) I just bought a place in Kissimmee and we are down from NC. Yeah, it's cooler today but I'm still shorts and a t-shirt. I could do without the wind though.
    Hey,

it gets below 65 and it's time for the 100mph Gear...

They have guided bass trips on the Disney property.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

7. Member
    Its really tough to get offshore in Jan. Normally only 3-5 fishable days

8. Member
    The weather does not impact the fishermen. Cold fronts have a very negative impact on the Florida strain bass. You will find that out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinCustody View Post
    Hey,

it gets below 65 and it's time for the 100mph Gear...
    Heck, it's gonna be 47 tonight!
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice, everyone. Sounds like bass fishing is the right way to go.

Next question: any guide recommendations? We'll only be staying on the Disney property for 3 days, then finding a condo to rent.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope y'all get what you asked for (me: Shimano Stradic CI4).

08' Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha 225hp 4-stroke

XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRob View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice, everyone. Sounds like bass fishing is the right way to go.

Next question: any guide recommendations? We'll only be staying on the Disney property for 3 days, then finding a condo to rent.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope y'all get what you asked for (me: Shimano Stradic CI4).
    if you decide to fish the Disney property (I have, and I will do it again) ask for Eddie from New Jersey and ask to fish the Epcot ponds.

13. Member
    Would be some fun time.
    Last edited by GamblerAl; 12-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.

14. Member
    Sent you some info to look at in a PM.

15. Member
    Well, my son and I had a GREAT fishing trip in Florida, thanks to Hugh Crumpler's excellent guiding. We started out on a very cold (by Florida standards) Thursday morning at 8am, being a balmy 35F when we hit the water. Considering it was -15F back home at the time, we weren't complaining! Hugh brought us to a great fishing hole, baiting our lines with wild shiners. It didn't take long until I landed my personal best 8lb largie, soon to be followed by my son's personal best 7lb'er! We regularly caught decent size fish throughout the day in this one spot. We tried some other locations with less success but, as we left, we saw to VERY large gators sunning themselves. I did not expect that!

Gotta send kudos to Hugh for showing us a great time and some great fishing! His website is Hugh Crumpler - Florida Trophy Pro Bass Fishing .

P1010002.jpgP1010004_small.jpgDSCF0178 sm.jpgDSCF0199 sm.jpggators sm.jpg

08' Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha 225hp 4-stroke

16. Member
    Glad you guys had a great trip while down in Florida.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRob View Post
    Well, my son and I had a GREAT fishing trip in Florida, thanks to Hugh Crumpler's excellent guiding. We started out on a very cold (by Florida standards) Thursday morning at 8am, being a balmy 35F when we hit the water. Considering it was -15F back home at the time, we weren't complaining! Hugh brought us to a great fishing hole, baiting our lines with wild shiners. It didn't take long until I landed my personal best 8lb largie, soon to be followed by my son's personal best 7lb'er! We regularly caught decent size fish throughout the day in this one spot. We tried some other locations with less success but, as we left, we saw to VERY large gators sunning themselves. I did not expect that!

Gotta send kudos to Hugh for showing us a great time and some great fishing! His website is Hugh Crumpler - Florida Trophy Pro Bass Fishing .

P1010002.jpgP1010004_small.jpgDSCF0178 sm.jpgDSCF0199 sm.jpggators sm.jpg
    If you do that good locally around Tampa this trip, send me a private message letting me know where.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Bent Pole Mafia!!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Bent Pole Mafia!!
    Most of them I think go to Tenoroc. They see you bring a bass in the boat they come on over and throw all around you trying to get one. Some pits have small areas where you can't help but getting near others. And some don't care regardless. I am used to it.
    But if someone tells me of a local place that is as good as Stick Marsh Farm 13 I will give it a try. I don't need their exact locations of where they boat fish. Just tell me it's better than Stick marsh Farm 13 for big bass and point me to the boat ramp. I will give it a try. I want to be lucky enough to put another big bass in the boat.