Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tilt/trim seal replacement job done.

Ok, yesterday I did my seals and replaced the fluid on my outboard. The seals themselves weren't too bad of a job but bleeding the air is a b*#@h!!! Just some hints, the two smaller rods will have some mushrooming on the ends, this has to be removed. When the old seals pass over them without any snagging they are good. The seals that sit inside the caps can be hard to install, use some grease to help it slide in place. On the main rod, I found it would not come out while the trim unit was still inside the bracket. I had to remove the unit. When you go back in with it, the lower mount won't fit back down in there. You will need a large flat blade screwdriver to help it slide back down, and make sure the plastic spacers are still in the holes. On the main rod, the valve on the base has to come off, watch the way it goes, and there are 4 springs in it. Watch the nut that holds the valve on, its a SAE size, 15/16"(check the size on yours). After it is off there is a lip on the shaft that is sharp that the seals have to pass over. The top seal is a hard seal with a lip that faces up and the inner seal is a thick o ring. To help prevent cutting the seals on this lip, take a fine file and going down, lightly file the edge of the lip so it has a slight bevel and then take a sandwich baggy and cut one of the corners off so that it goes past the lip about 1/2". Use plenty of lube, on seals I use petroleum jelly, and just gently wiggle and twist the seal head(cap) down over the lip. On the fluid reservoir, the cap is plastic as is the reservoir threads, mine started to not go on right after awhile. Watch this and get a new one after you are done. I have one on order from the shop. The fill port is a huge O.D. and has a small I.D. hole in which nothing fits as far as tubing to fill the reservoir. Go to any farm and ranch supply store and get a large syringe to fill the reservoir. I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Kevin R.; 05-17-2014 at 07:06 AM.

2. Banned
    Great info, thanks I need to replace mine and I just have not done it yet. I need the spanner wrench to help it along as well.

Sent you a pm.

A few pics of stuff.20131221_094852.jpg20131221_100802.jpg The rod ends cleaned up and what I used to do it with.
    20131221_101131.jpgthe old seals pulled out of the cap.
    20131221_102629.jpgnew seals installed with the old dust seal ontop to show direction it goes in.
    20131221_112206.jpgpic of the main rod lower valve and springs.

20131221_110442.jpgI had to pull the whole unit out to get the main ram out. Its very easy to get out.
    20131221_090846.jpg The uglyness of leaking seals.

6. Member
    How did you turn the mushrooming on they rods Kevin? Y'all have a lathe at the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    How did you turn the mushrooming on they rods Kevin? Y'all have a lathe at the shop?
    20131221_100802.jpgUsed the grinding disk to knock off the lip then the polishing flap to smooth out the edges. We have a cheap lathe at work but it sucks as far as chucking things go. I didn't take the two smaller rods out all the way. Did those while still in the unit.

8. Banned
    Good info, thanks. Need to add this to the sticky at the top!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    20131221_100802.jpgUsed the grinding disk to knock off the lip then the polishing flap to smooth out the edges. We have a cheap lathe at work but it sucks as far as chucking things go. I didn't take the two smaller rods out all the way. Did those while still in the unit.
    I think mine are too far gone for that. They look more like a mushroom cloud.

I have a course pad that'll knock it down.

Carlos,

I have the wrench. Let me know when you want to do the trim and I'll get it up to you (on loan of course...lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
    Carlos,

I have the wrench. Let me know when you want to do the trim and I'll get it up to you (on loan of course...lol).
    Should have my set to him today or Saturday.

13. Banned
    TANKS fellas!!! Muchly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    Should have my set to him today or Saturday.

Lake tested today and the tilt worked like new! I also did my steering ram and it felt like new! Should of done this job 2 years ago!

16. Banned
    Ttt

17. Member
    Ops..... where to get the special wrench to remove the cap ????

Talk to your dealer or you can make ones like I did.

19. Member
    I would like to see a pics of the wrench ...... Thanks ( donchicho71@hotmail.com )

I'll get some when I get back off of spring break next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast