Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boatdoctor View Post
    Ops..... where to get the special wrench to remove the cap ????
    Its called a spanner wrench and you can buy one at Sears and other locations. They have an adjustable model so it fits a variety of applications.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by boatdoctor View Post
    I would like to see a pics of the wrench ...... Thanks ( donchicho71@hotmail.com )
    Sorry, forgot to post pics of the wrenchs I made. I just use drill bits in the holes. Worked great for me.
    20140409_194816.jpg

3. Member
    great info- I have two that I need to do! Took one to our local marine shop and guess what, still leaking when I got it back from them a month later!! Figure I can do just as good of a job as they did, or at least try.

4. Member
    I'm having serious issues with bleeding the air. Any tips or a process on how to do this effectively?

Go to a farm supply store and get a mid size syringe for shots in cows/horses, and a carb vent hose for lawn mowers, sold in one ft lengths at most hardware stores and fill the syringe with fluid, purge air out of the end of the hose, stick the tube into the fill port, push the up button on the trim, and push the fluid in, hold switch at full tilt for 5 seconds, let rest for a few, repeat until full. Go full up and down a few time to help self purge.

I'm currently going thru this with my 2000 OX66 VMAX 150. One thing that I don't believe is mentioned here, is taking a good hard look at the ram rods themselves. I've taken both of mine out due to seal leaks, and they have some nicks and marks in them. I've been told to sand them out the direction they're going, which is around the shaft, not down the shaft, if that makes sense. I took one out, sanded it down, installed it with the original seals, and it doesn't seem to be leaking at this time, but we'll see how it does this week. Working on the other one tonight as it has some marks in it as well. The tops of mine aren't mushroomed as what's been described on here previously, but they need smoothed out nonetheless. Hope this helps, and I'll update the leakage situation. Would be nice not to have an oil slick behind me on the lake like the Exxon Valdez. Jeesh.
    2002 Lund ProV 2025 Magnum /Yamaha 200 HPDI

7. Member
    I just had one of the small trim rods replaced, seals and all by my mechanic. I'm not sure I have all the air out. It is still squealing on up cycle. I have trimming up and down several time and while it is all the way up I have been loosening the fill plug to release the air. Did you have to do this several times.

Not too much. It says its self purging on all the reading I did. Mine still makes alittle noise when its at the top of the stroke.

9. Member
    looks like I have leaking seals now. made arrangements to get them replaced while I am in Louisiana next month. tried to add fluid this past weekend with no luck. looks like I have to find the syringe mentioned above. thanks.

10. Member
    Great post
    Last edited by Smiffster76; 09-28-2015 at 04:10 PM.

11. Member
    Just an addition for what I found with mine after fighting a leak and replacing seals and still leaking. Check the play on the piston in the caps. My caps were worn and allowed the Pistons to move enough during the trim cycle that is was allowing seals to leak. Since motor is 14yo, I just went ahead and got the full piston sub assy's and replaced and all is good with the world again. Piston caps would have probably worked, but the Pistons had some knocks that I had cleaned up and figured I should just replace it all.

12. Member
    This may help someone, the o-rings on the trim cylinders are -221 for the cap seals and -218 for the piston seal. Looks like they are $6 each or so from Yamaha and about .10C each from a good hydraulics store. I have not taken the time yet to cross the rod wiper and seal for the rod cap yet but for almost $60 dollars with shipping I just may have some built. The rods are a weird size [I am sure that is done for a reason!] CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd 450r View Post
    I'm having serious issues with bleeding the air. Any tips or a process on how to do this effectively?
    I struggled with trap air for 2 hours yesterday. I was just about ready to through the wrench in! I only replaced the trim seals as the tilt seals were fine. What I found out was, there was trapped air in the trim assembly causing the internal cavitation or air pockets. I loosened the tilt cap, added a little fluid to the cylinder and tightened it all back up and BOOM, that fixed it.

14. Member
    Guys I have a 2013 HPDI 150, I had to replace both power cylinders on my trim 6 months after I bought the motor due to seals blowing out no problem it was under warranty. So last week they the seals went out again allowing water to get in. only rebuilding this time due to its on my dime. Is there anything I’m doing wrong or should be doing or is just bad luck. The boat only is used 10-15 times per year.
    Thanks

I replaced both my piston sub assemblies after seeing an oily sheen trail behind my boat while fishing. It was still there after spending that time and money so I took the entire unit off again and put it in a tub of water to find the leak. It was coming from the reservoir connection to the big unit. Replaced the little o rings on both sides (trim motor and reservoir) six total and no more leaks! Hope this helps someone.

16. Member
    Did you have to remove the engine off of the boat to take off the unit ?

17. Member
    I am in process of getting parts together to do my leaking port seals. Hope to complete in the next week.

18. Member
    My tilt make a awful grinding sound until it clears the 2 lift rams. After running for about 30 minute notes it stops trying figure
    what needs Tocqueville?

19. Member
    Have you checked your fliud? Could be air in the system. What does the ends of the Pistons look like, are they mushroomed, seals leaking?

20. Member
    I’ve have it in the shop being winterized so I will mak it part of my spring thing Thanks for the insight.
    its 66 here today in va! Why I’m I winterizing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast