How to Store Freshly Poured Soft Plastics

Guys,

How are you laying out your freshly poured soft plastics to cure? I thought of using a big aluminum sheet pan lined with parchment paper to lay out the soft plastics to cure. How are you guys doing it today?

Second question: How do you keep the soft plastics from sticking together once you bag them up? Are you applying worm oil and if so, what is the best method? My buddies and I are going to start pouring our own worms and not sure of the best way to keep them from sticking together.

Thanks in advance for your insight and Merry Christmas!

2. Member
    You shouldn't need parchment paper. I used to have about 20 cookie sheets on a rack and I just laid out the baits when I took them out of the molds. They will come right off of those cookie sheets. I recommend rolling them in fine ground salt. I used a small coffee grinder and got the salt almost to a flour consistency. The worm oil is a mess.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

3. Banned
    Thanks for the info!

When I pull my baits from the molds and their still a little warm and soft , I throw them in a pail of water for about 30 seconds , then let dry on a towel ditto on the ground up salt

2009 ELITE 210

I don't make my own, but I do have some hand poured worms from a SC company. They did not come with any lubricant and got a tad sticky over the years. I added a dab of mineral oil to the bag and it did a great job of keeping them from sticking together. If you want, you could also add a touch of anise while you're at it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    When I pull my baits from the molds and their still a little warm and soft , I throw them in a pail of water for about 30 seconds , then let dry on a towel ditto on the ground up salt
    Good idea on the water. Do you pour the baits with salt in them and then add the ground up salt on the outside? When do you apply the salt on the outside of the bait? After they have cured or right after they come out of the mold? Sorry for the novice questions.

7. Member
    Let them sit on a flat cookie sheet over night. I use a bit of worm oil to lubricate them when putting them in packages.
    Inner peace for world peace/

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docirv View Post
    Let them sit on a flat cookie sheet over night. I use a bit of worm oil to lubricate them when putting them in packages.
    +1 on what Doc says. Don't put them in water... Let them cure over night, too.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

9. Goby King
    My buddy let's them sit on a pane of glass over night and rolls them in floured salt to package.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    My buddy let's them sit on a pane of glass over night and rolls them in floured salt to package.
    I tried that today and worked great. The issue is that it dulls the color of the bait real bad. Any ideas?

11. Goby King
    Once you put it on the hook and drop it in the water, the color goes back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Once you put it on the hook and drop it in the water, the color goes back to normal.
    I guessed as much. Thx