Thread: Playcraft 8.1l

Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

Playcraft 8.2L

playcraft inboard.jpg8.2 l olaycraft.jpg8.2 liter lifting fins.jpg
    Check out the lifting fins,this is where the speed comes from.Along with U shape logs for ride.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 12-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.

2. Member
    I don't like U shaped logs at all, I understand the reasoning behind that type of construction as to having a flat top, easier and cheaper production wise to bolt the cross braces on but the flat sides are not nearly as strong as the round tube. That's why most all U shaped tubes have to be filled with foam, closed cell hopefully to give them some strength.....and that's why 98% of pontoon builders use round tubes. The lifting strakes or "fins" as you call them have been around for quite some time and yes they do allow the boat to ride up out of the water at speed, have them on all 3 tubes on my boat.100_1223.jpg

I'm with you Cyncby, on the U shaped tubes, I just dont like the looks. Looks cheap

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Problem is U shaped logs seem to be the norm at LOZ and being its the roughest lake around they must workOn the U shape logs they are double walled and baffels ,so if you broke say 6 ft off the front it will still float .If you ever go to the shootout at Loz you will see rounds come apart trying to run 100 mph.For 40+ years they have built toons so they must know something.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 12-18-2013 at 08:50 AM.

5. Member
    Well sure if you building a race boat and make the U shape tubes out of .125 or .187 then they will survive, but just how much weight does that add to the boat? Some outfits have even experimented and built flat botton tubes for the lift it gives, can't even imagine how crappy it must ride at "Normal" speed. I'm talking about your everyday production pontoon using .080/.090 material. Using this thin of material the U shape flat side just doesn't have the lateral strength w/o foam inside. This has been discussed a bunch on the Deck/Pontoon Boat forum.

6. Banned
    I have a 2 toon Starcraft with the U shape toons. It's the best riding, most efficient two toon boat I've ever ridden in.

Playcraft is just about the only manufacturer making U tubes now. The advantage of them is essentially cost, as they're much easier to make--requiring much less welding and skilled labor. They must be foam filled to provide structure. The round tubes are actually more structurally sound.

I also have a new Bennington tritoon with round toons--with lifting strakes. Round tubes take substantial investment in high tech automatic seam welding equipment and it takes large rolling machinery. The nosecones must still be made by a highly skilled person hand TIG welding, however.

The whole trick to getting speed and efficiency from any pontoon is the lifting strakes. They add 5 or more mph to any boat, and are best with boats of 90 hp, 115 hp or more. Two toon pontoons with strakes will outrun tritoons with strakes, but they don't have the weight carrying capability or handling that a tritoon provides. The 22-24' tritoons with 150 hp and strakes run about 40 mph, which is plenty fast. Try to go much faster than 40 mph, and it'll require sheer horsepower--which is expensive.