Stupid question about a Ranger recessed trolling motor pedal tray

On the new Ranger boats they have a pretty slick trolling motor tray with a cup holder and accessory holder. This tray looks longer than anything else on the market. Is this molded in the hull or is it an add on piece? Why don't anyone make a longer tray like these ( or does someone make one that I don't know about).

2. Banned
    from the other pictures looks like they are a part of the mold.

3. Member
    They are part of the mold. Most of the boats put out in the last few years have it in the mold. You can cut them out and buy the black ring to cover the edge

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos H View Post
    from the other pictures looks like they are a part of the mold.
    They have been in the mold since 2005 when they came out the the Z series boats.

5. Member
    I got the template from ranger and done mine myself. It was on a 2005 z21 and was a little scary cutting a hole out of my deck. I drilled holes and used knife to cut carpet then jigsaw to cut fiberglass. You need to use a good blade doing this once I got the right blade it wasn't hard to do.

Is it only in the mold for the Z boats, or would my 198VX have it also? Thanks!

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger 519, Mercury 225 Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Motor Guide Tour Pro, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega chirp on console, Helix 12SI up front, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    On the new Ranger boats they have a pretty slick trolling motor tray with a cup holder and accessory holder. This tray looks longer than anything else on the market. Is this molded in the hull or is it an add on piece? Why don't anyone make a longer tray like these ( or does someone make one that I don't know about).
    All is fine as I would be cutting today if I had a 2004 or higher. But I have an old 2000 Ranger 520 DVX, I am sure it does not have a recessed mount built in. I was wondering if anyone manufactures a tray that is longer like the Ranger tray, the only aftermarket trays I see are smaller. If I could get a longer tray I could make a cup holder and tool holder out of marine starboard.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diveshades View Post
    Is it only in the mold for the Z boats, or would my 198VX have it also? Thanks!
    No the 198 does not have it built into the mold.

I do not know of another product that offers a longer recess like the built in one from Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    No the 198 does not have it built into the mold.

I do not know of another product that offers a longer recess like the built in one from Ranger.
    my 2008 178 vx had the mold under the deck...call ranger and they will tell you. then if they say yes you can order the trim ring. i posted the the how to and carlos posted it in the maint thread.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Thanks Rodney, I thought as much.

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger 519, Mercury 225 Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Motor Guide Tour Pro, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega chirp on console, Helix 12SI up front, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

11. Member
    I have an 06 z19 Comanche and was trying to confirm recessed pedal is already molded in fiberglass..do I need to pull carpet back or just cut out

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcokid34 View Post
    I have an 06 z19 Comanche and was trying to confirm recessed pedal is already molded in fiberglass..do I need to pull carpet back or just cut out
    i would call ranger with you hull id number before anything else
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    That boat model absolutely has the molded-in recess for trolling motor pedal. Ranger Parts and Ranger dealers have a template for cutting out the deck above this recess. With the appropriate template, you can cut without peeling back the carpet. If I were you, I’d contact a Ranger dealer for advice/help. Doesn’t need to be a dealer in your area, if you don’t have a dealer you’re comfortable with.

In cases like this, I believe it’s always preferable to talk with a dealer tech person, who has probably done that exact procedure many times, rather than a parts department person at the Ranger facility, who very likely has only ever seen the schematic on a screen. Parts that simply bolt or screw in place, doesn’t matter whether dealer or Ranger Parts. Procedures that get a little more complicated, talk to the person who’s done the task.
    Last edited by Jbass123; 02-07-2024 at 09:40 AM.

14. Member
    My 2008 198vx had the mold built in. Ordered the ring and template from Ranger. Did it myself. Just need the right tools.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    All is fine as I would be cutting today if I had a 2004 or higher. But I have an old 2000 Ranger 520 DVX, I am sure it does not have a recessed mount built in. I was wondering if anyone manufactures a tray that is longer like the Ranger tray, the only aftermarket trays I see are smaller. If I could get a longer tray I could make a cup holder and tool holder out of marine starboard.
    I had a longer aluminum tray built by a local metal shop way back when I cut mine in. I did this almost 20 yrs ago when there were not many good recessed tray options on the market.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

16. Member
    ConforTroll has a recessed tray with cup holder and utility tool holder already built in it. Check it out here. If you dont have a mold and are wanting to cut it out yourself, I recommend this. Worked and looked great in my 2001 Ranger. No matter what tray you use, you will be cutting the back wall of your center compartment in an older Ranger to fit one of these trays. It worked out fine for me.

https://comfortroll.com/ols/products/comfortroll-d-lux
    Last edited by Chico and the boys; 02-14-2024 at 09:24 AM.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

17. Member
    Thank you so much for your help I bought the beauty ring for it..just trying to find where to get the template

18. Member
    Thank you so much for your help I bought the beauty ring for it..just trying to find where to get the template
    Ranger sold the template. its just a piece of cardboard like paper but definitely worth it. Mine had the tray hidden under the carpet. Ranger told me it didn't but when looking into the front storage I saw it protruding into the compartment.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...