Help with battery/ electronics.

I have a mercury 200 efi. Cranking battery is dead. I was going to replace with what was in there which is a stowaway 27dc180. But I realized that my electronics are running off my cranking battery. I have three other batteries running my 36v trolling motor. Should my electronic be running off my cranking battery? And if so then should I stay with a straight cranking battery or go back with a dual purpose?

Yeah...keep the electronics on the cranking battery, but get the biggest battery you can fit in that space....

Buy a good battery and be done. AGM type.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...27-212282952-2
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

4. Member
    I like the idea of the dual purpose (deep cell/starter) starting batteries are not made to be drained. I personnally like the Optima yellow top for this. Had one in my truck and lasted over 8 years. Had the blue tops for trolling and had more power and lasted years longer then the average deep cell. Just make sure you get a decent one. dc27 or 29 if it fit.

I'm curious why they run all electronics off starter? Personally, I do not like the idea of this. I added adeep cell just for electronics, keeping starter as freed up as possible. my thought is I rather have 60 lbs extra then dead battery. lol
    2010 Nitro Z7 w/ 200 Pro XS. I work to fish!

sears platinum pm-1 ,,,end of discussion

6. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Ac drlco acdm27dc. 750 cranking amps. Plenty of juice for electronics. Its basically dual purpose. I use 2 on my tm one a a starter $96 at ac delco dealer. My last tm set was 10 years old. Went bad cause i left em outside n they froze over
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

7. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyconelli View Post
    I like the idea of the dual purpose (deep cell/starter) starting batteries are not made to be drained. I personnally like the Optima yellow top for this. Had one in my truck and lasted over 8 years. Had the blue tops for trolling and had more power and lasted years longer then the average deep cell. Just make sure you get a decent one. dc27 or 29 if it fit.

I'm curious why they run all electronics off starter? Personally, I do not like the idea of this. I added adeep cell just for electronics, keeping starter as freed up as possible. my thought is I rather have 60 lbs extra then dead battery. lol
    Or 60 lbs less and jumper cables. I had to jump my 2 year old everstart 2 times this year. Got a new ac delco today! Always keep jumper cables. My 150 also has a pull cord lmao! Good thing bout my ac delcos is the 750 ca. Even after a day of wind and current they will start your boat if you jump.
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 187 View Post

DieHard Marine Battery : Buy High-Performance Battery at Sears
    I use these and I can go up to 4 days without recharging. Best battery made

9. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    This it will run it all live wells included all day and still have plenty of power at end of day.
    Big Bass

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 187 View Post

DieHard Marine Battery : Buy High-Performance Battery at Sears

Quote Originally Posted by Cyconelli View Post

The electronics, (pumps, lights, and graphs) don't use much juice and the cranking battery gets charged when you run the engine. Get a 27 or 29 series starting battery and you'll be fine. The best advise is to check the water level in the batteries from time to time and charge them up overnight before you go out. Adding an additional battery for elect's is great, but most do not have a place for the xtra battery.
    '96 Astro S-18 FS Merc 135 w/beat up Laser 21p...NEW PB 7 lb 5oz 6/13/14

12. Member

This!

14. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    This you never run out of juice for electronics,live wells, and starting power.
    Big Bass

15. Member
    I am hooked on Interstate Batteries. have had them all

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daley View Post
    The electronics, (pumps, lights, and graphs) don't use much juice and the cranking battery gets charged when you run the engine. Get a 27 or 29 series starting battery and you'll be fine. The best advise is to check the water level in the batteries from time to time and charge them up overnight before you go out. Adding an additional battery for elect's is great, but most do not have a place for the xtra battery.

pumps and graphs use a ton of juice. the battery only gets charged if you make constant long runs. get the largest battery you can fit in your boat. i chose AGM so i didnt have to worry about checking or adding water

yes thats a pm1 for the starter

17. Member
    How's that Duracell working out? I had one a few years ago and it crapped out two weeks after the 12 month warranty expired

Just a guy tryin\' to get to the next level...at everything I try.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebosst127 View Post
    How's that Duracell working out? I had one a few years ago and it crapped out two weeks after the 12 month warranty expired
    that's a 5 year old post you're referencing, and he hasn't posted for almost a year - if that battery is still kicking, I'd say it's doing exceptionally!