1996 javelin SE set up

I have a1996 Javelin 379 SE with a johnson 150 on a 5.5 power lift (manual) jack plate. I have it set @ 4" prop to pad. I wont get to try it until monday or tuesday. The motor was set at about 7-8" prop to pad when i purchased it 10/02/2013. Im also running a 14.5X24 ranker ss prop. Any setup help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new boater and I'm looking for a setup that will help with chine walk.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Set the center of the nose cone of the lower 3.5" below the pad of the hull. Make sure both are level.

Thank you. That's what I've done so far. I'm actually out of adjustment on my jack plate and i'm at 4'' below the pad. If i need to go up anymore, I'll have to take the boat in to have the motor mounted in a higher bolt hole. I'll test it this coming week. I'm hoping 4" will work. I'm not so much looking for more speed, just want the speed that will produce a safe and fun ride.

So, go out today with my daughter and try my new set up. Here is what I've noticed. I came out of the hole much quicker which seems odd from amount that I had to raise the motor. I also noticed my water pressure came up. At WOT before the adjustment I had 16-18 water psi. Today, 1/4 throttle I had 20-23 water psi. I noticed the steering was very light ( huge plus). The boat seemed to be a lot smoother. I'm currently at 4" (from 8.5") under pad. I'll prob just stay right here for a while. Can anyone explain the water psi and holes hot inprovment? Thanks
    you may beat me to the spot, but you still have to catch the fish

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Water pressure picked up due to less drag. Hole shot, the Raker doesn't like to be 7-8"s below pad. 4 is good. Less drag on the lower unit the lighter the steering. Next we'll need your RPM range. At the new setting. The Stratos board will have some good info.

Ok

Ok, I spent some seat time at the lake which is an hour away. I found out that my boat doesn't like 4" below the pad. When I turned the wheel it would feel very light and the prop would cavitate. Also the boat felt like it wanted to lean to the left more than it used to. I'm going back tomorrow and taking my tools. Any suggestions on what the problem may be. I lowered it 3/4 of an inch after I got home today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I guess we need to make sure you are measuring prop to pad distance. In most cases 3.5" below is a good starting point.

This is the best way.

http://www.bbcboards.net/champion-bo...ne-harper.html

3.5" setup
    for a tri step hull?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes.

This my first test run with about 4.25" prop to pad. It was horrible way too high

test ru
    n 2 was still too high bu much better

ok,I'm so confused about the 4'' prop to pad 3.5'' prop to pad set up. As you can see in my videos I'm 4'' below the pad and im still getting bad prop wash it's really bad when i turn left or right even at the slightest turn. i've since moved to 5'' with the same results. when my boat is perfectly level i measure 15'' then with my cav plate leveled to match im at 10'' 15-10 is 5'' I dont understand what's going on when everybody is running 4'' or less prop to pad. i'm running a 24'' raker. look at my videos and notice the 4' rooster tail that my transducer causes when the boat is on plane. Could that be causing prop wash? its set up about 8'' to right of moter on the middle step of the tri step hull.

14. Member
    Yes. Get the transducer out of there. Transducer anywhere that low ahead of the prop is a no no

bottledgt thanks. I have no clue where to put it. It's a hummingbird 998 si combo and I cant see a place to where it'll fit.

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    If anyone can help from experience with these boats/motors, ChampioNman can. And, bottle is right, that transducer can cause all sorts of performance problems when it interferes with the water flow to your prop.

17. Member
    I'm not very informed on OMC motors, but if you've got 23-24lbs of pressure at 4" below pad, you should be able to come up quite a bit and gain some RPM's and speed.
    Rooster Tails
    Sprint 275/200 Mariner
    Central Louisiana

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You need to find some one to show you how to drive that boat. Not picking but I watched both videos and I never did see any indication of you applying positive trim (up) when you took off the motor is so low in the water that you are submerging the exhaust relief ports of the motor. You need to set that motor on the plate correctly. That entails removing it from the plate and re-installing it.
    Bring that plate up to the center of travel. Then unbolt the motor and raise it up to the second bolt hole from the bottom on the top set of bolt holes. You should be fine there. At least you will have plenty of UP/Down travel on the plate. But the best thing to do is set the plate and then leave it alone and learn how to drive the boat at the setting I described.
    That transducer cannot be within 18" of the centerline of the gear case. It will cause the incoming water to be turbulent. The SI doesn't read at any speed over 6 MPH anyway so just attach it to your jack plate.

19. Member
    I had the same boat ,I bought it new in 97 . It's still my favorite boat I've ever owned. I think my prop shaft was 3.5 to 3.75 inches below the pad .the boat really likes to cruise at 4- 5000 rpm .it does like positive trim and bowlift .if your prop is stock it probably needs to be tweaked as in a little rake taken out and added cup to carry the bow in turns . Set up right the boat will flat out fly . It will get kinda squirrelly around 5700 rpm but it handles like a dream. The trick is to take your time and learn your boat.next time out get it on plane around 4000 rpm and trim up till you feel it sit back on the pad and go from there. With all the drag your motor is creating makes it harder to drive . Good luck, have fun learning and be safe.

20. Member
    I had one of these boat and they are pretty fast with the 150. Mine was at 3.5 below with 24p Raker that Mark Croxton worked for the boat. After prop work, boat picked up almost 4 mph but prop was pretty rough to begin with. My boat would lean to the side as well at low trim angles, but once prop was right and trimmed up boat ran nice and level. I have seen a couple threads on here where some of these boat and the stratos have a tendency to lean sometimes. 3.5" below is the magic number with the OMC engines on these hulls.
    Thanks, Nate

91 20xrd
    2000 225PMX SM
    0G980806