Solix12 vs Apex13 side imaging

Anyone run a Solix12 G3 and Apex13 and have comments on the side imaging quality? I got super nice side imaging quality on my Solix 12 on my previous boat. Trying decide on Solix12 or Apex13 on the new rig. The current $500 rebate on the Solix is hard to pass up, is the Image quality of the Apex noticeably better? I thought the Solix G3 was great.

The APEX 13 has about 9,000 more pixels per square inch than the SOLIX 12 so the APEX is more HD.
    The APEX 16 has a higher pixel density than the SOLIX 12.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Yes, the Apex image quality is much higher than the Solix. I had a Solix 12 G3 and replaced it with an Apex 13 G3 and the difference is definitely noticeable. I also replaced my Solix 15 G2 with an Apex 19 and I would say that the image quality on the Apex 19 is even better than the Solix 15, even though there is a considerable screen size difference... It would be like comparing the pixel density and image quality of a Solix 10 to a Solix 15.

With that said, there are things where this higher resolution really shines and things where it doesn't make much of a difference. It really shines on SI, DI, and Mega 360 where fine details can make a difference. For 2D and Mega Live, I can't really say that the higher screen quality makes much of a difference. They just aren't high resolution imaging with fine details like SI/DI/360.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Yes, the Apex image quality is much higher than the Solix. I had a Solix 12 G3 and replaced it with an Apex 13 G3 and the difference is definitely noticeable. I also replaced my Solix 15 G2 with an Apex 19 and I would say that the image quality on the Apex 19 is even better than the Solix 15, even though there is a considerable screen size difference... It would be like comparing the pixel density and image quality of a Solix 10 to a Solix 15.

With that said, there are things where this higher resolution really shines and things where it doesn't make much of a difference. It really shines on SI, DI, and Mega 360 where fine details can make a difference. For 2D and Mega Live, I can't really say that the higher screen quality makes much of a difference. They just aren't high resolution imaging with fine details like SI/DI/360.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Agree 100% with Slydoggie - the 360 imaging in particular looks amazing on the Apex
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

6. Member
    I went Apex and can agree with image clarity but another reason I went with Apex and about to put the Apex 16 on console to go with two 13's on bow is to have everything connected to depth finders themselves and eliminate the 5 port switch. I know they came out with a new one but one less piece of equipment to fail IMO.

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar76 View Post
    I went Apex and can agree with image clarity but another reason I went with Apex and about to put the Apex 16 on console to go with two 13's on bow is to have everything connected to depth finders themselves and eliminate the 5 port switch. I know they came out with a new one but one less piece of equipment to fail IMO.
    I also have my 3 Apex units, Mega Live, and Ulterra Quest, all networked through the dual Ethernet Ports on the Apex units.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    For those of us that don’t need more units, with the switch being equal in speed I went with the $300 switch.(actually $236+ tax on Amzn)
    Last edited by bobcoy; 02-06-2024 at 04:37 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    I have the units the OP is asking about and I can say with certainty, my Solix getting the SI through the Mega 360 is much better than what i get with the Apex. It doesn't make sense but that's the truth for me.
    Last edited by Tone357; 02-06-2024 at 05:59 PM.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I have the units the OP is asking about and I can say with certainty, my Solix getting the SI through the Mega 360 is much better than what i get with the Apex. It doesn't make sense but that's the truth for me.
    Then something is definitely amiss somewhere. That definitely doesn't make any sense.

I would imagine the increased resolution of the Apex would make mega views shine for sure. As one considering adding Mega 360 in a standalone config, it's hard to justify a 4K Apex when now the Helix and Solix are offering a $500 rebate. The Apex would be sweet I am sure, but for me it's going to come down to a Helix/Solix decision. The screen resolution is the same for those two so best I can tell.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 02-11-2024 at 10:02 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Then something is definitely amiss somewhere. That definitely doesn't make any sense.
    You're right, it doesn't. The next time I'm out, I'm going to take a few screenshots with both units and discuss with the Mothership.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO