Thread: Home grown

Home grown

Second post.

Looks like fun, you built it? Any additional pictures? Tell us about the steering, it looks like a joystick???

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh* View Post
    Looks like fun, you built it? Any additional pictures? Tell us about the steering, it looks like a joystick???
    It is a joystick. The steering is by linear actuator (electric ram). I designed and built all the controls. The basic hull is from Custombilt Boats in Geneva, Al.

Click on my picture and it will link to photo bucket for more pictures.

The boat is a blast to drive and is exceptionally stable. It is a tunnel hull, but I partially enclosed part of the tunnel. The tunnel fills with water when stopped and the water dumps out as I accelerate.

4. Banned
    Now I LIKE that. Can you expand more on that steering system? How responsive is it to input? I would expect that the limits to port and starboard were a little tricky but I figured if you figured out the rest of it, then the limits were no problem

5. Banned
    Oh and I noticed that heat sink in the box too.

6. Member
    Well, I measured the travel of several cable steering boats. The rod travel thru the tilt tube vaired between 8 1/2 to 9 inches. I chose a a high speed linear actuator with a 8 inch ram based on the mentioned measurements. I chose the speed of the actuator based on how I could turn my cable steer boat. It took about 4 seconds for me to go lock to lock in steering direction, so the actuator speed was selected based on this time. The actuator full load speed is about 2 inches per second. Close enough.

The Joystick has a 4 tap potentiometer which I use to control the speed and direction via a PWM circuit which drives a FET Hbridge that provides the control voltage to the linear actuator.

Steering is linear. If you move the joystick a little, the engine moves a little via the PWM control circuit, etc.etc.

Pretty simple circuitry and application.

I built my own engine position gauge using a automobile voltmeter. I called it the YAW gauge. It tells me the relative position of the engine with respect to the bow. Fun project for an old man.

7. Member
    That heat sink is a filtered dc/dc converter. It get me 12 volts@5A from the 24 volts on that side of the boat. Voltage sources are isolated. 12v on the right side and 24v on the left.

8. Banned
    Cool stuff man. and people thought I was smart (or smart something or other LOL). 10 yrs USAF, 24 law enforcement and 15 in computer networks. But that's pretty dang cool. I work on my toon a lot (always doing something). Its now getting a facelift (new fencing skin, getting rails powder coated and replacing/rewiring accessories with new Bluewater LED stuff). Yep, so for you its simple - for me NOT. Give me a computer network, with radios and television network to make it all talk to each other with apple junk - hey I'm a Microsoft/Cisco/Sonicwall guy whatta expect

Yep, cool project thingy you got Cane Pole. Say is Pumphouse TN up near Maryville - north of Chattanooga? Kinda on the north end of Watts Bar lake?

9. Member
    I live (stays) on KY Lake, West Sandy Creek. I am about 10 miles from Paris Landing Tennessee by water. I fish the Big Sandy River a lot.

I have a Mac. ha

10. Member
    Way too high tech! But very cool!
    Born to fish, forced to work.

11. Banned
    Fly by wire, just like the F-16s I worked on.

12. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Awesome!
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!