Marine Stabil vs. Evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner

Hi guys,

I've been trying to do as much research as I can regarding a good fuel additive for use with my 2005 225hp Etec but have gotten so much conflicting information that I think I'm more confused than when I started.

I know that Evinrude has their own brand of fuel conditioner, but I've read that it contains alcohol which is something that should be avoided when treating ethanol containing fuels....is that correct that any alcohol containing conditioner is bad?

I think I might end up going with Marine Stabil, as its non-alcohol and has a good reputation, does anyone have any thoughts on MS?

Thanks!

The old 2+4 formula contained isopropyl alcohol which is different than ethanol.

the new formula 2+4 is different and contains more anti-corrosive ingredients plus has some carbon cleaning properties.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The old 2+4 formula contained isopropyl alcohol which is different than ethanol.

the new formula 2+4 is different and contains more anti-corrosive ingredients plus has some carbon cleaning properties.
    Thanks Seahorse....do you have any thoughts/recommendations on additives for a 225 Etec?

Thanks again!

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    In dealing with condensation waters on tank walls getting into gasoline and into a motor....using E-10 containing ethanol (ethyl-alcohol, CH3CH2OH) or adding its' near twin, isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O or C3H7OH) or BRP 2+4 conditioner new formula, or Stabil Marine version all can successfully result in them reacting with water molecules in the fuel and each accomplishes the same task, keeping water from accumulating especially in the bottom of a stored tank of gasoline.

Grabbing an electron from a water molecule to share keeps water safely within the fuel where it can pass quite diluted into the motor which keeps water from accumulating in the bottom of a boat's fuel tank and reaching the level where being still concentrated, it could reach a motor.

Yes, it is somewhat confusing how the marketing arms of the additives try to spin their products as if they are doing something magical and somehow making condensation water in every boater's fuel tanks vanish up into thin air.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 10-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.

5. Banned
    I have a Johnson but use the name brand 2+4from dealer. old days I had evenrudes.. figure its like Chevy/GMC trucks, same, just a different badge lolo.. no problems. but if that stuff gets on hands better wash it off quick. that crap burns! $8.00 a 16 oz bottle. but it does both tanks on the ol bass boat.