Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Been there done that! Its hard to downsize tackle. Im always thinking to myself if I decide to use it Ill be pissed if I dont have it or never know when I could use that haha. Ive had the same stuff on board for quite awhile now tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I tried to do some boat cleaning of stuff, mainly tackle, spread it all out on top of deck, ended up with one small box of mainly soft plastics that I took out but organized rest of boxes, what is it about old tackle some of which you haven't used in years but leave it in your boat ?? Kinda like shoes to a woman.......

Thats no joke.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    If I can help you just PM me, I did this about 2 years ago but I think I can remember most of what I did, basically piece of wood across attached to sides ( SS nut/bolt ), notched out top 3 so they would fit in wood for stability and then used clamps for 2 pipes on bottom of wood and was able to mount piece of wood and then slide pipes in. If I had to do over I might try to slide all pipes in but attach large strap just after all pipes are in together and then slide rest of way...
    I might be PM'ing you before long. I will undertake this project in a week or so. What length did you cut the pipe to?

Quote Originally Posted by cmayes View Post
    I might be PM'ing you before long. I will undertake this project in a week or so. What length did you cut the pipe to?
    Well first you have to understand the way I am..... "cheap" and decided to see if I could do this project with what I had on hand, the top 3 are 40" and bottom 2 are about 30" from pieces of PVC laying around. If I had to do it over I would use the maximum length that would fit by just placing pipe in until it wouldn't go any deeper & holding it at about position I wanted them and marking where to cut, I know there is room to go on all the pipes that I have put in. Pipe is 11/4 inch diameter water pipe not the thicker electrical stuff. They work for me but might go back and install longer pvc on the bottom ones but the dog might have to not eat for a day or so .....

Well first you have to understand the way I am..... "cheap" and decided to see if I could do this project with what I had on hand, the top 3 are 40" and bottom 2 are about 30" from pieces of PVC laying around. If I had to do it over I would use the maximum length that would fit by just placing pipe in until it wouldn't go any deeper & holding it at about position I wanted them and marking where to cut, I know there is room to go on all the pipes that I have put in. Pipe is 11/4 inch diameter water pipe not the thicker electrical stuff. They work for me but might go back and install longer pvc on the bottom ones but the dog might have to not eat for a day or so .....
    By the way, the ends ( grey ring ) is just for dress mainly even though it will stop the pipe from sliding forward which they have not done, this was my only expense and it hurt about $12.00, they are called Box adapter's 1 1/2 inch and they are found in the electrical section of Home Depot....

7. Member
    By the way, the ends ( grey ring ) is just for dress mainly even though it will stop the pipe from sliding forward which they have not done, this was my only expense and it hurt about $12.00, they are called Box adapter's 1 1/2 inch and they are found in the electrical section of Home Depot....
    I understand, as I am cheap as well. That was my next question about the ends. Those look like they would keep the PVC from scratching up the rods. I can't wait to get started!

I understand, as I am cheap as well. That was my next question about the ends. Those look like they would keep the PVC from scratching up the rods. I can't wait to get started!
    They might do that but it just looks more finished and easier to see when putting rods back in, keep in mind I have a 185 so it's a foot longer than the 175 and the foot difference is all up front, I went back and found some notes of when I did this and I was wrong with my the first measurements I gave, my top pipes are 55" long and bottom are 50". Not sure how much open box area you have but I have about 33-34 inches of open length so all in all I have about 7'3" for top poles and 6'9" for bottom, I have some 7' and 6'9" poles which I keep in top pipes and my 6'6" and down got in bottom pipes and of course this is on both boxes 10 poles in all...... Both taking out and putting in you still have be careful and guide them in and out watching your rod eyes and of course with longer poles a little bending is needed to get in and out....
    Last edited by rtlgator; 11-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.

9. Member
    They might do that but it just looks more finished and easier to see when putting rods back in, keep in mind I have a 185 so it's a foot longer than the 175 and the foot difference is all up front, I went back and found some notes of when I did this and I was wrong with my the first measurements I gave, my top pipes are 55" long and bottom are 50". Not sure how much open box area you have but I have about 33-34 inches of open length so all in all I have about 7'3" for top poles and 6'9" for bottom, I have some 7' and 6'9" poles which I keep in top pipes and my 6'6" and down got in bottom pipes and of course this is on both boxes 10 poles in all...... Both taking out and putting in you still have be careful and guide them in and out watching your rod eyes and of course with longer poles a little bending is needed to get in and out....
    I was planning on putting the tubes in and seeing how much I have to cut off. I'm anxious to see how it is going to look. My rod box has a smaller opening at the end than the 185. I hope that it works out as good as yours. Only one way to find out.

11. Member
    rtlgator, I took some pics of the work I did on my rodbox. I can't post them because I don't have the capability. Could I send them on my phone to you? You can PM me your number. Thanks for your help.

rtlgator, I took some pics of the work I did on my rodbox. I can't post them because I don't have the capability. Could I send them on my phone to you? You can PM me your number. Thanks for your help.
    Sure you can, I will PM you my info...........

Thank you so much for those pictures. I was wanting to cut that little piece out but was afraid it might lessen the structural integrity of the deck. The pvc is a great idea I never thought of. I can't wait to try. Many thanks
    Chris, here are 2 pictures of underneath box, as you can see there is room for longer PVC if mounted higher where you can go on top of box which will allow longer PVC and of course longer rod........IMG_1615.jpgIMG_1613.jpg
    First picture shows one bottom pvc pipe, 3 above this one.......

Here is what I did on my 04 Tracker as far as rod storage I used golf tubes and I eliminated the plastic tub so I could have some organization as far as tackle goes.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Disclaimer: Post Intended as Fun and NOT to Hurt Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by GMC Triton View Post
    Here is what I did on my 04 Tracker as far as rod storage I used golf tubes and I eliminated the plastic tub so I could have some organization as far as tackle goes.

image.jpg
    Looks great, thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by GMC Triton View Post

image.jpg
    That looks awesome! Very clean. Where did you get that tackle organizer at? I like those.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

They are file organizers I found at Office Depot, they can be screwed down due to having stability tabs on the bottom from where they would sit on a desk plus they hold a 370 perfectly.
    Disclaimer: Post Intended as Fun and NOT to Hurt Feelings

Very cool. Gonna have to check that out I like those.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    Mike I think I see what you were talking about with the tubes in the back of the box. I will have to get to the back of mine and see if it is the same. GMC I like the idea of moving the tub out. I do like your rod box as well.

20. Member
    I finally was able to take my newly modified rod box on the water...worked great, wish the 175 had 2 boxes. Thanks for your help, especially Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast