Thread: Golf Notes

Golf Notes

Well the wheels fell off today. Took my son to PGA National to play and just couldn't hit it. Skyballs off the tee, hooks, a few slices. Was horrible off the tee, the irons were good but overall a bad showing. Things came together after about the 13th hole after I shortened the backswing, took a lighter grip and started the swing with my shoulders. This seems to make it all better when things go bad. Started hitting good drives and had a few birdie chances in the last few holes. As a result, I decided to write a Golf Note to myself to read before I go the range and play just to remind myself what to do or have it on my phone when the wheels fall off. I'm sure I'll be adding to it but I guess everyone has certain flaws or weaknesses and I figured reading it would get me on track after a few bad shots. It always seems to work but I seem to remember this way to late in the round sometimes. Anyone do any sort of checklist or something to revert to when they are struggling?

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Mine would be Relax and take a breath. Tension kills my swing.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Banned
    I'm in the same boat right now. My irons are as good as they've ever been. But now I can't get off the tee. Everything is just snap hook. So bad I don't even wanna play cause I know half my tee shots will be OB and my good ones will be in the rough. Not sure how to fix it.

4. Member
    My thought process (if there is such a thing) is to keep my head behind the ball. This helps keep the swing more inside/out and makes for straighter shots. I believe (after about 40 years of playing) that the shots inside 100 yds are the ones that make or beak my score. I'm pretty much going to hit it everywhere off the tee but if I can get my 2nd shot somewhere inside 100, I can usually come out with a bogey. So I'm pretty much trying to get where I can hit a wedge as early as possible.
    Also, around the green my thought is to keep everything still except my hands when chipping. This helps me stay away from the chipping "yips".
    Just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I'm in the same boat right now. My irons are as good as they've ever been. But now I can't get off the tee. Everything is just snap hook. So bad I don't even wanna play cause I know half my tee shots will be OB and my good ones will be in the rough. Not sure how to fix it.
    I'm having problems with a low pull hook. It's almost always due to a lack of proper hip rotation through the ball and the hands getting too far out in front turning the club face over too much. Here's a couple fixes.

Smith: Easy Way To Fix A Hook : Golf Digest

Michael Breed How To Hit A Golf Ball Straight - The Golf Fix | Golf Channel