Thread: Storm Project`

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    My boat has it everywhere...under the top cap all the way around. Both sides have it and under the floor also was a big piece...I have some pics...IMG_20150912_195459330.jpg

this pic is after i heard the sounds of moving water under the floor...front live well leaking...nice...

2. Member
    What are the last 2 digits of the HIN? Definitely not 91

3. Member
    No. It's a 91 for sure. Last two digits are 91.

Weird transition period for Storm from what I remember reading. I believe they introduced the "Scorpio Series" with the different style top cap around 89 or 90 but kept the classic top cap for a year or two.. Probably built a few with the retro cap at the request of customers I imagine til they were completely phased out.

I believe it could be a 91 and possibly the last one with that style cap.
    2001 Optimax 225
    OT344965

5. Member
    The reason I ask is there are several features of your boat which would indicate early 80's...obviously the XF cap design but also the flat-top console. 89+ boats not only got a new taller cap design but also a different recessed-top console. Your console also is full height (fiberglass all the way to the floor); this design was used until about 85. The turbine-style trailer wheels...the winch stand that sits below the bow eye...

Don't get me wrong...you have a sweet boat that you'll be very pleased with when she's finished. Trust me on that - there's two of them in my driveway.

6. Member
    Wow. Well regardless it's still a good riding boat....Storm!!! Lots of fun so far

7. Member
    More work completed. Almost ready to remove motor etc. Then off the trailer. Going to restore trailer also which is in great shape. Linex is what I'm leaning towards unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks

8. Member
    We think alike. Just restored mine - had it sandblasted then sprayed two coats of rustoleum primer and rolled on two coats of pickup bed liner. Swapped all lights for LEDs and added poly rollers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Sweet looks great! Im going with all LED's also. My buddy is letting me use his stand so hopefully I get the motor off by 1st week in October. Then I will be painting hull and working on this trailer...should be fun...

10. Member
    COLORS PICKED....GOING WITH A BLACK/WHITE COMBO....SHOULD BE SWEET!

11. Member
    Dink King what did it cost you for the sandblast on the trailer approximately?

12. Member
    Most places charge about $75/hr...so it depends on how many layers of paint are on there

13. Member
    Thnx

14. Member
    Update. Dad's been ill so family first. Project is still a go. Hoping for cooler weather lol

I hope your dad's doing better. Get that boat done and take him fishing

16. Member
    Thanks. First day free and nothing but rain....

17. Member
    Back at but.....top cap has been resin/fiberglass to the hull...someone went crazy with the resin. Any ideas on how to get cap off now. Thought it would come off fairly easily. Now no way in heck without lots of unnecessary work

Why are you wanting to pull the top cap? You should be able to rebuild the entire stringer, bulkhead and decks without removing the top cap.

Teaser pulled his top cap because he wanted to make it a flat deck "flats" type boat. \

If your dead set on pulling the cap:

You're best best is to run an oscillating multi tool from the outside into the seam and try to get it to break loose. Then once you get a section to separate and break loose, keep pressure on the top cap by placing small wedges in the seam you created as you slowly work around the whole boat.

You may also have success by running a 2x4 side to side inside the boat that goes in the small section between the cap and deck. Apply upward pressure on the 2x4 then go to cutting the seam.
    Apply pressure either by placing a jack under the 2x4 and lifting, or putting an eye bolt in the 2x4, securing it via a rope or cable to a tree limb and then lowering the trailer down to put upward pressure on the 2x4 towards the cap.
    2001 Optimax 225
    OT344965

19. Member
    Just going to keep pushing forward.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast