Thread: Wondering?

Wondering?

Right now I own a 721 Phoenix but had back surgery and went well to a point but complications have created leg problems.
    Am wondering why a Pontoon boat over a deck boat. Not trying to start a fight but wondering with the deck boat easier to load why pick pontoon over deck boat. Oops forgot they have add runners on the pontoon boats to help with loading.
    Still wondering why people are picking Pontoon boats over deck boats? Trying to find out why because if I want to stay on the water am going to probably have to get one of these and sell the Phoenix. Is wheel chair access? or things of that nature.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Pontoons ride better in most cases.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would call Joe Dorris at Playcraft he can get all the info on special options.15737653265

4. Member
    Thanks Jerry, but would like to see some more input for others if at all possible. Why they picked a Pontoon over a deck boat.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

5. Banned
    To me its easier to repair. You can take an old pontoon boat and customize far far CHEAPER than a deck boat and you CAN'T change out the toons to get a better ride and carrying capacity. Most are fiberglass, develop a leak, your bilge pump better be working. On a toon, put 1 to 3lbs of air in it, and you'll more easily find the leak, take to a good aluminum welder and you're fixed in no time. Deck boat is heavier too.

6. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Pontoons ride better in most cases.
    I beg to differ. These things ride awesome. The big deep V cuts the chop and boat wakes very nicely, and have a smooth dry ride.

The biggest reason that I see people buying pontoons boils down to one thing.......cost. If you are referring to loading gear into the boat while on the trailer, yes I believe a deck boat will be easier because it sits lower to the ground.

Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

Ed, a pontoon boat is not at all hard to load on the trailer if the trailer is bunked correctly, and you have your guides adjusted properly. Of coarse you have to have the trailer at the correct depth like any other boat. Last time I took mine out of the water I let my ten year old son drive it on the trailer..... I swear he did better than most you see at the boat ramp. Its not at all hard, just confidence and proper prep, like most other things make it much easier.
    As far as why pontoon over deck boat. A deck boat is heavier, so that takes more fuel to get it to the lake. It also requires much more motor to push it, so that means more fuel when you get to the lake. Deck boats are mainly fiberglass, so dont dare leave it in the water for a few days. Fiberglass also means when you pull up to the dock be careful..... dont let it get scratched. There is more room to move around in a pontoon and is more comfortable with a crowd of four or more people.

8. Member
    OK now Deck boat weighing more does not bother me as that means it moves around less in the wind while trying to fish.
    Angler's and Josh both very informative replies thank you. But I own a fiberglass boat now Phoenix 721/250 SHO so getting next to a dock is no big problem as I very seldom use them, would rather nose into the ramp or shoreline. Weight does not matter all that much to me as I pull with a Dodge 2500 HD diesel.

What about ease of getting in our out while on the trailer?
    Fishability?

Looking at these due to back surgery and can no longer use a hot foot and going back to the hand throttle to me is to dangerous with a 250 hp motor.

Josh sense you do sell Phoenix's and means I know what kind of dealer you are just from that fact Not meaning anything derogatory towards you Angler's it just familiarity.
    Anyway Josh or Anglers which do you feel would work better for someone still wanting to bass fish and be able to launch, pick up etc. plus the two questions above.
    Sorry if this is all broke up and my train of thought does not make sense but am still on two different kinds of pain killer every 4 hrs.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

Ease of boarding while on the trailer would go to the pontoon. We sell Wesco trailers and without a doubt they have the best ladder to board a pontoon boat of any trailer I have seen. It has full size steps and a handrail to step right up. When docking most pontoons are a even step over to the dock, with a deck boat you will have to step from the floor of the boat, to a seat or front deck, then down to the dock. Then think about getting out of the deck boat while the boat is on the trailer.

Bass fishing would go to the deck boat as it will maneuver a lot like your 721 when the trolling motor is down. You can fish from a pontoon boat but fishing docks and tight areas is not easily done.

10. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    As far as fishability...........if you are wanting to troll down the bank slinging spinnerbaits, the deck boat will without a doubt be easier than a pontoon. That is just one of the many reasons deck boats are so popular. A deck boat will load on the trailer more similar to your Phoenix bass boat than a pontoon would.

Fiberglass deck boats will most likely weigh differently than an aluminum model, but a Lowe X214 (21'4" fish model pontoon) triple log pontoon weighs approximately 2888#'s without motor. By comparison the Lowe SD224 22' ALUMINUM deck boat weighs approximately 2180#'s without motor.

That info is right out of my Lowe dealer manual. We sell most of the deck boats with Mercury 150hp 4 strokes.......great performing motor at a great price.......it pushes this boat low to mid 40's depending load and conditions of course. Most triple log's will not attain those speeds with the 150.

Before you make your final decision you should get in and climb around in both boats. Even go for a test drive if possible.

No problem on the familiarity, Sir. We are a Ranger dealer, so I will not hold that against you either.....LOL!

I hope your back gets better very soon Sir. I have had my fair share of that from my construction days.......it is no fun when you can't even put your own socks on.
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

11. Member
    Thank you both for that information and was informative.
    Not to worry I will not buy a boat without personally being able to get in one and look around at the construction, fit and finish, etc.

Thanks Pete and I still can not get a shock on my left foot that is when I can wear shoes, house shoes Ugg's most of the time. No problem about you being a Ranger dealer as I will not hold that against you either if I decide to look at a Lowe rig

Thanks to everyone that replied

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDavisKY View Post
    Right now I own a 721 Phoenix but had back surgery and went well to a point but complications have created leg problems.
    Am wondering why a Pontoon boat over a deck boat. Not trying to start a fight but wondering with the deck boat easier to load why pick pontoon over deck boat. Oops forgot they have add runners on the pontoon boats to help with loading.
    Still wondering why people are picking Pontoon boats over deck boats? Trying to find out why because if I want to stay on the water am going to probably have to get one of these and sell the Phoenix. Is wheel chair access? or things of that nature.
    Price in my opinion. Most 20' Deckboats with a 115 sell around 30-32K with a trailer, versus a 24' pontoon (such as a Bentley) will sell for around 26K with a 115. More bang for your buck, larger boat, wider, more seating..ect. Again, just my opinion.

13. Member
    i'll be glad to show you some pictures of my pontoon setup for fishing, i actually wish i had made the change years ago.

14. Member
    I'd like to see Grandpa. I'm about to buy a toon but gave up on the idea of bass fishing from a toon long ago. Ed i too like the deck boats but it would seem to me the stability of a toon or tri would be easier on you back. Good luck and let us know what you roll with and get yourself to feeling better sir.

15. Member
    my pontoon loads just like my bassboat, drive rght on. i'll post up a couple pictures tonight of the layout.