Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I used spruce wood. I left a gap in the carpet to aid in draining. I'd say these boards will last for years. I can't really add anything that BTO and Ship haven't already said. I know that these new boards are giving some added support because my boat has "settled in" because the new boards now have formed fitted to the hull. My new boards have on been on 10 days. Like I said in earlier post I'm very pleased. The weather has kept me off the water, but I'm positive it's really gonna be a huge help on all the ramps I use. I'm am so happy I did this modification....worth every penny I paid....and then some.

Glad everything fit together well MSD. Like you said as long as the boards can drain it would take longer than the carpet will hold up to rot the boards. I know my old bunks the boards were still in great shape the carpet just wore out. Too bad the weather is keeping you off the water. Probly gonna be getting too cold for you soon to i imagine.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Boat Trailer Bunk Bracket 8 inch Swivel Top Galvanized

longtime lurker here. i would think these brackets would work.

Yes i have seen those on other boats and Im sure they would work fine. I personally prefer them black so they blend in better.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    I do too BTO. After the install I hit all the bolts with Rustoleum gloss black and the new brackets really blend in well.

Thats a hell of an idea! I may just have to do that myself. They get alot of attention at the boat ramps. Get asked about them by alot of people.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I have a Triton 1860SC on a Triton trailer, it came with four bunks so that's covered. The trailer is made out of 2"X 3" tube. It also had 2' side bunks, one before the axle and one after. With any wind on steep ramps it was hard to load so I bought two of these 2-1/2" x 12" YATES Boat Trailer Straight Roller #12243-5 with end caps. I then removed the rear side bunks and fabricated uprights out of 2"x 2" tube that I welded to the trailer at the same angle as the side of the boat. Now if it's windy or I'm fishing the river I can swing the front of the boat against the roller and load up.

I also added another cross member closer to the front with a threaded keel roller 12" Self Centering Keel Roller, 5/8" I.D. #80992. Once the boat contacts the roller and as it comes forward the threads move it to the center.

Sounds like that works pretty good. I have seen those self centering rollers before but didnt know how they worked. As long as there is something to catch the keel and pull the boat to the center it will load straight every time.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Roy that was a great idea you had and it looks very good. My old boat and trailer has two bunks with the adjustable supports that others have linked to from the factory. In the center they put the Self Centering Rollers. Once adjusted correctly they do help a lot, but I like your 4 bunk idea better. Great Job.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Roy that was a great idea you had and it looks very good. My old boat and trailer has two bunks with the adjustable supports that others have linked to from the factory. In the center they put the Self Centering Rollers. Once adjusted correctly they do help a lot, but I like your 4 bunk idea better. Great Job.
    Thanks I appreciate it. Honestly they work better than I ever imagined.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I love doing mods. Roy, thanks for the time it takes to stop, take photos and document so everyone can easily do theirs. Most of my recent mods and creations have been on ice fishing equipment/lures and simple bearing upgrades/tuning to reels I service. I'll be doing this mod, the winch plate step and your style of step between seats on my 2010 170 TX this winter.

12. Member
    BTO, thanks for sharing this modification. Looks great and obviously works great as well. It's now on my to do list.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have no idea how/why this old thread got bumped but I’m SO glad it did. My boat does not center, the bunks are not on the strakes, and it’s only 1/2” from the frame of the trailer and the rear is resting on the roller...I put up a post about adjusting it in the trailering forum.

This thread showed me what must be done and how to do it! Thanks SO much!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Banned
    Oh boy ,...something(s) for me to make over the winter in my shop.Or get the galvanized ones ,grit blast them ,repaint them black to match trailer.

15. Member
    Never let any boat regardless of hull material rest on a roller
    during transit. A lot of weight for the bearing surface can lead to
    hull indentions in aluminum and fractures in glass hulls.
    Back in the 70s in my area the FD AlumaCraft was the Cadillac.
    Holsclaw trailers were the trailer of choice until owners found that
    an aluminum boat does fair well on a roller trailer. If a boat had
    seen many road miles, the hull looked like a washboard from the
    roller imprints. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

16. Banned
    Just a question , why are the rear bunks a 1/2 inch higher ? Because of the hull ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    Just a question , why are the rear bunks a 1/2 inch higher ? Because of the hull ?
    Correct just due to the hull shape and the distance between the trailer frame rails.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    The bunks on my pontoon trailer were completed rotted. I replaced them with special ordered 24’ treated pine 2x6s, stainless steel lag bolts and plastic/vinyl Caliber bunk wraps. No wood touches the aluminum pontoon, only the bunk wraps. It was pricey and I have not even loaded the boat on the trailer in the 2 years since doing all the work (the toon stays in a dry dock marina). They are supposed to make loading and unloading much easier than carpeted bunks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234