Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ship im really glad those worked well for you. Ive been a little anxious about it waiting haha. This was a trial run to see if I could copy mine and after these what i suspected is true and that each boat and trailer is gonna be slightly different. Making it extrememly difficult. It was harder making the duplicate brackets then it was my originals lol. I honeslty think i could only make them for a late model pt175 without having the boat here to custom match them too. Wish i could mass produce them tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Well they worked out great. I was a little anxious at first when I put them at 8'' from the factory bunks and the new bunk would not have been touching, or barely touching the boat. Slid them inward though to 10'' and they work perfect. The angle is just right with the boat and they support just about as much weight as the factory bunks. Totally worth it and pretty much impossible to not center correctly now. Thanks again for your hard work on them. They'll be on there for good.
    Last edited by Ship; 01-04-2014 at 04:44 PM.

3. Member
    Looks awesome Ship! Now BTO, you just put a price on another set and I'm sure that you will have another buyer....me! And you probably will have others also. Seriously, make a couple more sets...name a price....I know you can't guarantee them to fit, but it's worth the gamble to me. Don't forget to include installation instructions. I think you are on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    Well they worked out great. I was a little anxious at first when I put them at 8'' from the factory bunks and the new bunk would not have been touching, or barely touching the boat. Slid them inward though to 10'' and they work perfect. The angle is just right with the boat and they support just about as much weight as the factory bunks. Totally work it and pretty much impossible to not center correctly now. Thanks again for your hard work on them. They'll be on there for good.
    Thanks Ship glad I was able to help. Took mine put again today and its crazy what a difference it makes. Had a brisk wind at the ramp while loading and it went right to the center. So nice not having to manhandle it on the trailer anymore.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    Looks awesome Ship! Now BTO, you just put a price on another set and I'm sure that you will have another buyer....me! And you probably will have others also. Seriously, make a couple more sets...name a price....I know you can't guarantee them to fit, but it's worth the gamble to me. Don't forget to include installation instructions. I think you are on to something.
    PM sent sir.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Attachment 73564Attachment 73565I had to mount mine a little bit narrower then BTO but they are on and work great. Put the center keel anywhere on or inside the center bunks and it instantly centers and rides right up to the stop. I tried recovereing at different depths last night and you just cant miss the way it is now. Love it. Thanks BTO for a great deal on the brackets.
    Ship, how long were the bunk boards that you used? Did you carpet your own boards or did you buy boards already made?

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    Ship, how long were the bunk boards that you used? Did you carpet your own boards or did you buy boards already made?
    Ill go ahead and answer here lol. The bunks are 62" long and the front of the center bunks line up with the front of the existing originals. Basically puts the center bunks halfway back which is all that is needed. Im sure the pre made bunks are just find but if you buy the carpet its a pretty simple job. Ss staples no glue and ss lags to bolt them on for me. My tip is even for 2x4 bunks order the 12" wide carpet. I didnt feel that the 8" wrapped around enough and its easy to trim the 12" stuff down.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Thanks for the reply Roy.

No problem.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    My dad has been visiting from out of state this past week or so. I let him drive it on the trailer and he was impressed. Said that thing is about bullet proof for loading now.

My dad has been visiting from out of state this past week or so. I let him drive it on the trailer and he was impressed. Said that thing is about bullet proof for loading now.
    Thats good to hear. Glad you 2 are getting to enjoy some time on the water.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    We did indeed. I changed my stock bunks yesterday. The carpet was pretty worn. I can't say that the old ones were rotten but they sure were water logged. For 50 bucks it is worth starting new again. 40 for carpet and 10 for 2x4's and stainless steel hardware.

We did indeed. I changed my stock bunks yesterday. The carpet was pretty worn. I can't say that the old ones were rotten but they sure were water logged. For 50 bucks it is worth starting new again. 40 for carpet and 10 for 2x4's and stainless steel hardware.
    Thats awesome. Mine were the same way when i replaced the original bunks. Just wore the carpet to the backing in the main contact points. The boat sure does slide up that new carpet super nice to.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member

Well the rain let up and I got my install finished and had to head to the water to give them a try. It was something that I always wanted to get done. They worked great! There was even a stiff cross wind, but it centered up great. The other lake I go to is being drawn down to winter pool. It'll be drawn down another 7 or 8 feet. When the do that, the ramp flattens out. Then these new bunk boards will save me a bunch of trouble. I owe a big shout out to Roy for this modification. It really makes a difference.

15. Member

Just another pic of the modification at work

Im really glad you are happy with them and they work well for you. Looks great on there! Im just glad they fit haha. That makes 2 for 2. Very nice job installing them.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Looks like a great job - as good or better than factory would look.

What type of wood was used? I have read that the typical wood bought at the local lumber store had some sort of chemical that was not compatible with aluminum and that it could leach out if used as boat bunks....don't know if it is true or not.

Also, my brother had trouble with his Bass Tracker with centering and loading when on a steep ramp or windy conditions and added a couple of the adjustable arms that stick up in the air on the and bolt sides of the trailer and it has worked like a charm for him so far at least. He just points and shoots now and the arms center him up. He bought them at BPS. Do you think the added bunks are better because of better support when trailering or was there another reason that you did not use the arms?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Thanks I appreciate that! From my understanding using pressure treated wood is what can cause problems with the aluminum. I have always just used regular doug fir 2X4s on mine. They last just fine. I seen the brackets that can go on the side but I wanted something less noticeable when the boat is on the trailer. The way the center bunks catch the bottom of the hull and straighten it out is really quite amazing. i had no idea it was going to work that well. Added support of the hull was not really a factor but just an added bonus.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    I can attest for the centering, it works really well. I've launched/recovered many times since adding the two center bunks and it has eliminated ever not centering on first shot. As far as support, it is an added bonus and I think with the weight more evenly distributed it power loads easier. I barely give it the throttle and it rides up to the stop with ease. At far as lumber it is my understanding that the zinc in the pressure treated lumber is what reacts negatively with aluminum. I recently replaced all my bunks and used "Non treated" lumber.
    Last edited by Ship; 10-29-2013 at 12:30 PM.

I can attest for the centering, it works really well. I've launched/recovered many times since adding the two center bunks and it has eliminated ever not centering on first shot. As far as support, it is an added bonus and I think with the weight more evenly distributed it power loads easier. I barely give it the throttle and it rides up to the stop with ease. At far as lumber it is my understanding that the zinc in the pressure treated lumber is what reacts negatively with aluminum. I recently replaced all my bunks and used "Non treated" lumber.
    I noticed mine power loads much easier to. Barely have to give it any throttle at all just slides right up. Used to have to goose it pretty good on some ramps.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast