Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Chuck, I have had some of the guys from Norman come down and fish Lanier with me. For the most part, I believe deeper water is the key. But understand that "deeper" is a very
    relative term. Depending on the lake, "deeper" will be different. There are layers of the lake in certain times of year that will not really support fish. It all has to do with the
    depth and construction of the lake.

At Lanier, we catch fish in 45-55 feet of water in the winter. But during the summer, that depth will not support fish due to the poor oxygen levels. Its important to know more about
    the lake before you can decide what is too deep.

Bigger spotted bass seem to roam more. With the emergence of bluebacks in Norman, you are going to see this increase. Just by them being in Norman, You are going to have to learn
    to fish all over again.
    Ryan Coleman's Lake Lanier Pro Guide Service

2. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    Thanks Ryan. Love your posts on the bass fishing home page. I need to get down there and haul my boat so we can go out and look at em with these 2 HDS12 units I have so you can show me what to look for in this new world of roaming spots chasing blue backs. It'd be a great day trip

3. Member
    Come on…..
    Ryan Coleman's Lake Lanier Pro Guide Service

4. Banned
    one thing ive found to hold true here on smith lake. the sunnier the better the top water is with the herring being in here. Cloudy not quite as good. When it's cloudy and front passing through in the spring here the largemouth bite is as good as anywhere in the state in my opinion, but the big spots seem to be caught on cloudless days with the big schools of herring.

5. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    That's crazy isn't it? It's really not actually because they are such vicious sight feeders like the small mouth are. Just blows me away to see them blow up on a blue bird day still. Ryan, am going to be calling to get us set up. Need some time away from work and a day on Lanier with you and some big ol spots in my rig with my gear sounds awesome buddy!

6. Member
    Chuck, if you can take screen prints on your electronics, please take some of the schools and the bass relating to them. Sounds like you have a good 12 in. unit.
    Flatlands Custom Tackle
    Oscar Custom Baits
    X-Factor Lures
    Crimson Creek Baits

7. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    Yup, sure do. Will grab some on my next trip out. They are starting to group up nicely down in the 35' range now. Been warm here so they have been slow to get in to that Winter pattern but they are heading that way.

8. Member
    We've had the best luck on big spots with 9-11 inch worms on a 3/16 ounce Shaky Head. Agree with the others, the big spots are always deeper.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    I would try throwing a big swimbait! Granted small aggressive fish could still hit, but its a big fish bait!

10. I'm your Huckleberry Chuck D's Avatar
    They're getting better.

This one came recently on a locally made living rubber jig with a 5" GYCB twin tail grub from 20' on Lake Norman. While nowhere near the massive fish that regularly get hauled out of Lake Lanier or compares to the giants being caught out West on Shasta, etc this is a considered a pretty good one from this lake.

Going after bigger fish for me so far has meant fishing deeper but with more specific targets like isolated brush piles, deeper structure, and maintaining bottom contact for the most part has been key. Various kinds of jigs, spoons, big single tail grubs, swim baits, underspins, etc have all produced some good results while the drop shot has continued to disappoint size wise for me so I'm still experimenting with different d shot baits as I try to upsize my creel with it. It's a process for sure....

11. Member
    I fish a very deep spotted bass fishery with Alewife Shad in it. The majority of winning bags anytime other than sub 50 degree water temp are caught on Jigs and Shakey heads. The bigger fish come out of 40-50 feet of water 90% of the time. We have to fish super slow and very little action imparted to the worm to get bit. We have been catching drop shot fish out of 70-80 feet of water the last few weeks. Small swimbaits do catch fish but it very rarely beats out a worm on Tournament day. It seems the bass will follow the shad where ever they go and if you aren't aroung bait you are wasting your time.
    2020 Caymas CX20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12