Upper bay report.

On Friday 9/6 there was a "Friday paycheck" tournament and first was around 14 lbs and second was 13.2. Can we say that the upper bay is fishing a little stingy now considering that over 20 lbs all year was needed to even have a chance of winning. I did not fish that tournament but fished that day to practice for an upcoming tournament. I mainly fished marinas just to see if any fish were moving in. Caught a few with best 5 around 12 pounds. It was a grind. I would pitch to several hundred poles and all of a sudden a bite would happen then the process would be repeated. Not a fun way to fish but you can get some fish doing that. Last Wednesday I fished from 2:30 to 6:30 pm. I ran straight to the grass and found an area that was very calm. I chose that area because I wanted to see if there were any bass cruising with my eyes. Sure enough I saw good bass just swimming around. No question about it they are there. I backed off and made a few casts with no results. I them moved to another area where there was a little chop on the water. I hooked up right away. The bass was not very big but it was a bass. I continued to fish for another 45 minutes with no success. I then left the grass to fish some hard cover and ended up with a few more. Best five may have weighed 10 pounds. I will be fishing this coming week and hope to report better news. It is just a matter of time before the major fall feeding frenzy begins. Hold on, it's gonna be fun!!

2. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Great report Can't wait for fall!!!! N2bassn -you comin' to the Jam?
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    Great report Can't wait for fall!!!! N2bassn -you comin' to the Jam?
    Hopefully I will be there.

4. Member
    Bill...exaclty what i found so we will be playing ring around the rosey on Thursday!!!! Good Luck!!!

Great report: I fished Chester County open on Saturday and we struggled 15 lbs won it. We began in the SAS with a couple of blowups and then began to run around, the Flats, River, Furnace, back into the NE , wood docks ect. Nothing. It was tough the guys who won fished docks all day. I cant wait to see how the Everstart Boys do.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.”

Quote Originally Posted by propp26 View Post
    Great report: I fished Chester County open on Saturday and we struggled 15 lbs won it. We began in the SAS with a couple of blowups and then began to run around, the Flats, River, Furnace, back into the NE , wood docks ect. Nothing. It was tough the guys who won fished docks all day. I cant wait to see how the Everstart Boys do.
    Thanks for fishing with Us Saturday... We heard alot of the same thing from others asN2Bassn said.... We ended up fishing that way as we were grinding out good bites. 3 out of our 4 bites averaged 3.75 lbs with a 13" fish to cap our 4 fish limit. All of our fish ended up being caught on a D2 Lures GRT Jig.. I will post results shortly from the tx..

Good Fishin

7. Member
    Club had a tournament on the Sass Sunday. We do 3 fish, first place was 11.10 second was 9.9 third was 7.1. My boat put 6 keeper in the boat from 1.5 to 5.5 lbs. Early bite and late bite. Nothing on high tide. By the way 3rd place ran to the flats. All others stayed in river.

8. Member
    Folks,

When fishing in the fall, are there good bass in the flats/grass or they mainly on wood?

tks, BAM

There are a lot of variables to your question, all the above can be very good in the fall. Problem with the fall the fish start moving a lot. They become very bait fish oriented but when you find them you usually whack them and they usually school in year class. So you can catch a lot of good fish in a small area.
    Les Mahan - STROKER 250 MERC

10. Member
    Everything I am hearing is that the Sass and the Gunpowder are on.... I hope everyone spreads out or the bay is going to fish really small!

Be sure to check the off limits area. I believe that the western shore is off limits from just below Swan Creek all the way down to Seneca Creek for the Everstart and College events this week. I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me on-line.
    Capt. Brian Barnes
    Co-Owner Big Mouth Lures
    07 Ranger Z21 / 250 Pro XS
    www.bigmouthlures.com

I heard a rumor today that the tournament director is getting phone calls from fishermen who want to drop out due to poor fishing. If that happens there will be some unhappy co anglers. Yesterday was really a bad practice for me. I had 3 that went about 4.5 pounds. Today was a little better. I was able to scratch out a limit that weighed about 12 or 13 pounds. I have 3 small areas that were good last week. I have not touched them and I hope that they will still be good on Thursday. If not i will just go fishing and burn a lot of water and hope for the best. 5x3!!

13. Member
    Yeah fishing has been real tough... Should be interesting to see how the tourneys go this weekend

14. Member
    I fished the Chester County Bassmasters Open last Saturday... fishing was tough, but was able to scrap a decent limit to get 2nd place with 15.18. Should of won it, but broke off a 4lber at the boat. I say find the bait fish and fish the wood and docks. The Bass are in that weird transition time right now, moving around... The BFL this weekend should be interesting. If an angler has 13 - 15 lbs a day he should be up in the standings... IMO

15. Member
    Yes sir...15lbs will go aaaa Looong way...but remember the population of 4lb fish is incredible and it only takes 10 minutes to load the boat if you are in the right place at the right time.

16. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Is the wind ever gonna stop blowin? I've been wanting to test a new prop for 3 days now!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind a little fishing also....
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50