questions about custom fitting

First,thanks for the responses on my other threads, now onto this one. I have nodoubt custom fit clubs will help me, mainly because I know my irons shaftlength and head angles are off due to my short height. I went to golf digestwebsite and looked up the top 100 club fitters in the USA. Low and behold thereis a guy less than 30 miles from my house who made the list, and has forseveral years. So, I called them today...what I found out that surprised me isthey do not sell clubs from manufacturers. They build the heads right there. Isthat normal? They do a swing analysis right there, both on the machine andoutdoors, takes 2 hours. Then they build the heads to match the swing,including game improvement heads if you want. Match them to a custom shaft andgrip.

So, what do you guys think? Based on my research, the dude is highly regardedin the custom club fitting world.

Approximate total cost, including fitting is around $550.00 for an iron set.

What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Clubhouse Moderator
    Sorry, I have never had custom built clubs. In sure they can do custom shafts for your clubs correct?

Yes, the shafts are custom. I have spent more time talking to them. I am pretty sure I am going to do it. I know one thing, it dang sure cant hurt my game. I actually find the process fascinating, that the entire club head is built from scratch to your swing. Should be a cool experience once I get there.

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    that the entire club head is built from scratch to your swing.
    Really? I really, really doubt that they are building the heads there from scratch. I would think they are selecting heads with the loft and lie to fit your swing, then installing a shaft and grip. Thus building your custom club.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Seems wierd to me, but during my conversations about club heads they told me they could build the weight to the inside, outside, front or back depending on swing, and used other terminology about the design that I really did not understand. To be honest, I really will not know til I get there. Hopefully, I will get there sometime in September.

6. Member
    Interesting concept. That seems like $$$$$ the $550 you stated before seems reasonable as long as the irons are decent. Hopefully they don't rust!

In all seriousness, I would ask to do the fitting over a couple days if possible to get a good measure on your swing tendencies.

Personally I feel if they can custom fit you to a shaft it is all worth it. Shafts can make or break a set of clubs. Throw in custom heads too and you are set. Only problem will be you can't blame it on the irons now! :)

7. Member
    i agree that they take the bare iron heads and affix the proper shaft, grip, etc. a few companies will sell you components or custom built clubs if you know your specs (scratch, wishon, etc). personally, id take a few lessons, and get a repeateable swing before investing in a fitting, since your swing is likely to vary from day to day, shot to shot
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    Seems wierd to me, but during my conversations about club heads they told me they could build the weight to the inside, outside, front or back depending on swing, and used other terminology about the design that I really did not understand. To be honest, I really will not know til I get there. Hopefully, I will get there sometime in September.
    Do you mind sharing who this club fitter is. For the service you describe $550.00 would be a GREAT price.

Jim McCleery is his name.

Interesting article where he fitted an 85 year old women. 85-year-old Pauline Gets A Game-changing Fit : Golf Digest

10. Member
    Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed the article.

11. Member

Did this happen yet?

13. Member
    when i first got into golf i had a set built.I soon out grew them as my swing and swing speed changed as I got better.you can have the same thing done with a man. set as far as weight, length, and shaft stiffness for alot less.unless your a single digit golfer your not really gaining anything by having custom blades built.any good golf shop can fit you properly with a set of clubs for your skill and advancement.Todays technology can fit anyones ability to make a proper swing and to be able to advance with those clubs untill you advance farther and still have fun playing...because you can hit the ball.as you groove your swing you'll be able to do more with a advanced set of clubs.
    ps. Im not in favor of weighted clubs,what they do is compensate for ones bad habits and causes one to grove that habit.If your a single digit golfer or a scratch golfer and have tendencies then weighting can allieviate some of that but if your in the teens I feel its more a hinderence than a help
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

Quote Originally Posted by assfault View Post
    Did this happen yet?

No sir, I took a few lessons first, which have paid huge dividends. But, even my instructor stated I needed to have some type of fitting performed. Mainly, as all the fitters I have spoken to stated, my short height. But, I cant change that so I have to change the clubs. It was amazing the impact of just those lessons. My irons fly now, he moved my iron swing more over the top and everything clicked. After the lessons, I can actually go to the driving range and enjoy myself for a change. On my second lesson the instructor brought a 7 iron that had been fitted for a 5-6 individual, regular flex and holy moly, a few swings with that was the final piece of evidence that convinced me I am getting a custom fitting.

15. Member
    My experience has been that you can get a fitting from most golf shops without buying the custom clubs. What they normally do is take a six or seven iron set that has many different lofts, shaft flexes and lengths. They have you hit balls till you have about the right trajectory and a good feel. Then they can recommend a shaft length, flex, and these days even a shaft weight. With this information, you can shop for a name brand club that feels good to you without getting into custom made clubs, which WILL be harder to sell once you decide to move on to your next set. (believe me, you'll move on to your next set).
    Nothing wrong with custom made clubs, though.
    As stated before, Mr. McCleery probably buys the clubheads, shafts and grips once he determines what is required to make your clubs for you.

I appreciate all the comments and I understand there are a lot of variables to consider. But, at this point, I am not brand specific nor loyal to a certain brand. The good thing, if I so desire, is that I do not have to buy anything form McCleery. I can just do the fitting and he will provide me with a print out with all the specifications. I can take those specs. to any club dealer and get what I want. However, regardless of resell value, I am leaning hard towards him building a set. Mainly because he is close(a huge plus) and he will tweak them if/when my game advances. Obviously, once I get there I will have more information to consider.

17. Member
    It is best to go to a professional golf club fitter. On line fitting can get you close, just like getting help on BBC setting up a bass boat.