95 mercury 2.5L 200hp Xri Efi problems

Ok guys I have a 95 2.5L merc 200efi cranks and runs like a champ when I put it in gear and and put the gas to it it will not turn over 1800rpm put it back in neutral and it will rev up to 8000rpm if I wanted it to put back in gear will not turn over 1800 after about 5 min it will decide to go and run like a a brand new one good water pressure and everything else good turn it off fish and it starts all back over take 5 min before it will go if anyone can help or have any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks Clint

2. Banned
    Wait a minute, you're revving it up to blow it up in nuetral? Didn't the alarms started sounding off when you did that?? Also post your serial number of your motor and DON'T rev the motor in nuetral. The rest of what you said didn't make any sense to me after the 8000 rpm comment. Don will be along shortly to have you check it out further.

3. Member
    I haven't reved it that high just saying it would in neutral. but in gear it won't get on plane it won't turn over 1800 in gear but will in neutral but after 5 min or so it runs fine untill I fish and crank it again then after 5 min or so it's fine again

4. Banned
    Don't forget the serial number of your motor. I gotcha now, you was just making a point on revving it more than what the motor would do in gear So to clarify, you can't get past about 1800 rpm until the motor has run for like 5 minutes then after that the motor responds correctly - correct? When it won't go past 1800 rpms, what does it sound like? bogging down, etc? If you pump the primer bulb does it change? I take it you are not getting any alarms either?

5. Member
    thats right after about 5 min boat runs great during that time that it doesnt want to go over 1800rpm it sounds like a bad misfire and the engine gets shakey if that makes since alot of "vibration" i am not getting any alarms and pumping the bulb doesnt help any the serial number is 0G180958

6. Banned
    Oooouuuuu, ok. I'm passing this on to Don or Sherm then. I certainly don't like the idea of shakey in the motor especially vibrations as that can't be good and needs to be sorted out PDQ.

7. Member
    ok thanks im looking foward to hearing from him im kindly hoping to get the problem fixed very soon as the fishing is getting perfect about this time of year lol just my luck

8. Banned
    I went fishing today and had NO luck, other than seeing plenty of fish on the graph. But I wasn't that serious about catching any. After being laid up almost 2 months, I was just tickled to finally get on the water for a while.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJohnson92412 View Post
    thats right after about 5 min boat runs great during that time that it doesnt want to go over 1800rpm it sounds like a bad misfire and the engine gets shakey if that makes since alot of "vibration" i am not getting any alarms and pumping the bulb doesnt help any the serial number is 0G180958
    Any excessive SMOKE when it's failing to accelerate?

Good idea to start with the BASICS:

-Compression test
    -Spark Test (including confirming good, clean, fresh BU8H spark plugs)
    -Fuel QUALITY, Delivery, and FUEL PRESSURE TESTS *

*Fuel pressures should be checked at:

-Idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -15/30/60 seconds after engine shutdown
    (Record and provide results for EACH).

Better than 90% of all performance complaint causes are found during the above, basic tests.

Also important- read through the following post, and confirm that ALL recommended items have been addressed on your boat/engine: http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...tem-first.html

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Ok I will try to do these test sometime this week and let y'all know what I fine. And also no more smoke then normal during the time it's acting up

11. Member
    havent done fuel pressure yet but did compression and spark test... Spark was good and plugs are clean compression is left side 95,100,100 right side 95,100,100 i did this while the engine was cold

12. Banned
    generally compression tests are done after engine has been warmed up to normal operating temps

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Aight guys I have got tired of messing with it took it to a local shop should know something in a few days and I will post what they find

15. Member
    I have just purchased a Ranger 361V with a Merc 150 XRI EFI what should I expect to see in this motor?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    I have just purchased a Ranger 361V with a Merc 150 XRI EFI what should I expect to see in this motor?
    Please open a separate thread in the 2.5L Forum for your engine (be sure to provide the serial number). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CJohnson92412 View Post
    Aight guys I have got tired of messing with it took it to a local shop should know something in a few days and I will post what they find
    So what was the problem I am having the same isue.
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Habby View Post
    So what was the problem I am having the same isue.
    Please see Don's comment above and open a new topic for your engine, with serial number, in the forum that covers your engine - Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance

FWIW, the OP of this topic hasn't logged in here for over 6yrs...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Was just reading through and saw this and it kind of bothers me when people do this , ya know get all the help and say ill post back and never hear a thing....
    Delete this if it bothers you...
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680

20. Member
    sure would help wouldnt it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................