Question for the Upper Bay guys-RE: Lapidum Ramp

I’m planning on making a trip to the Upper Bay on Friday. It’s been a few years since I’ve been up there. In the past, I always put in at Tydings, and for a long time I wasn’t even aware of the state ramp at Lapidum. On the map, Lapidum seems a lot easier to get to since I’ll be coming up 95. There is no need to ride through Havre De Grace or pay the ramp fee since I have a State Pass. So it looks good ….. on paper.

I’ve had my boat in the area of Port Deposit before and I’m comfortable enough motoring out to the flats from that area. On the map it appears that if I put my boat in a Lapidum, I can drive straight over to Port Deposit. I realize I can’t go up or down river from Lapidum without the risk over plowing some rocks, but is the shot straight over to Port Deposit clear?

Thanks for any help/advice!
    Doug

Drive across to Port Deposit and you will be fine. You could idle the first time and save your track for reference. You can only use 1 of the 2 ramps at Lapidum because of the grass and would not suggest using it during Striper Trophy Season.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unpaulie11 View Post
    Drive across to Port Deposit and you will be fine. You could idle the first time and save your track for reference. You can only use 1 of the 2 ramps at Lapidum because of the grass and would not suggest using it during Striper Trophy Season.
    +1

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Launch from the ramp on the river side/ rock jetty. The other ramp is for small boats and canoes. Head straight out towards Port deposit. Once you go half way to two thirds across the river you can start to turn down river. If you start your turn down river about 1/4 way across river, you risk the chance of a submerged rock pile a couple hundred yards down river. Thats about the only permament hazard I know of in that direction before the channel. Of course there is always the chance of a new tree floating out there. If you go up river, and are not familiar then stay off plane once you are upriver of Port Deposit.

5. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    ++1
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

6. Member
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your input on this. I'll be putting in there Friday morning.

7. Hazzard County Hillbilly unclejessie's Avatar
    Long as you go straight out you will have no problems , as previously sstated only hazard is just below lapidum about 100 yards or so off shore ... If you are half way across or better you are more than ok to turn down river

8. Member
    I have been thinking of trying that ramp for a while. The directions above answered my questions about navigation. What is it like launching and taking out solo? Is there enough room to tie the boat up while parking and retrieving the truck? I also have a keelguard if there is a safe place to beach.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

9. Member
    I made out fine with the directions above (Thanks to everyone for their help!). I'll probably go back there again next time I go up. No safe place to beach a boat that I saw, but there is a floating dock you can tie up to, in between the two ramps if you are by yourself. We were fortunate that day in that there was only one other boat putting in there. I'm not sure if it gets crowded most days or not.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I have been thinking of trying that ramp for a while. The directions above answered my questions about navigation. What is it like launching and taking out solo? Is there enough room to tie the boat up while parking and retrieving the truck? I also have a keelguard if there is a safe place to beach.
    I launch all the time solo. I usually go early and avoid any crowd. There are actually a bunch of us that launch solo there. I always tie the boat up at the end of the pier so others can launch while I park. There is no beach.