Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 triton set up

getting ready to purchase a 2004 triton tr19 with a 200 optimax . it has a 25 pitch tempest . took the boat out today for a test drive the boat launched good but top end did not wow me . when i tried to trim it up it started chine walking bad at about 5000 rpms. the mph according to the speedo was around 40mph. did not have gps but it was definately slow.any suggestions .have not purchased yet but dont want to de discouraged. it also has a 6 inch jack plate. the boat has around 40 hours on it . great deal. rightr now i have a 1991 390v ranger with a 200hpdi v max and it runs 68mph all day.right now the ranger is a whole lot quicker. please help

2. Member
    I'd have the motor checked and put on a computer for run logs and fault codes. It will also tell you hrs. ran and how hard. You need to check your prop to pad difference too. It should be 2 1/2" under pad or it will walk bad. The fuel lines need to be checked and if they are the old mercury gray with red lettering style they need to be changed, replaced along with the bulb, filter and rebuild the pulse fuel pump. That boat should run 70 easy.

3. Member
    You'll just need to learn to drive the Triton. Chine walk isn't a defect or bad trait, it's completely normal for a boat that gets up on a pad. Did the owner of the boat go out and show you the potential of the boat? I once sold a Gambler to a friend of mine. The boat would run 80, but he couldn't drive it because of chine walk and declaired it an unsafe piece of junk. I went out with him, put it up on the pad and drove it with one hand. He was embarrarsed, and did finally learn to drive the boat. Tritons are fast and great fishing boats, don't get scared off because of the chine walk.
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

4. Member
    If it only has 40 hrs on it the owner may not have used it enough to know how to drive it. Thats only running 5 hrs a year and he may have just putted around in it. If he did let it set for a while I'd check all the things I mentioned and check the prop to pad difference. You can't drive it if it's set to low. If it's a TR-19PD and you buy it get a 25" or a 26" trophy plus and put on it. If it a TR-19X stay with the tempest.

5. Member
    the person is a older gentleman and he never got the boat up above 45mph the motor ran great with no miss i figure it is a set up issue and he never got the boat fast enough to experience it. the boat literally looks brand new . im confident it does not have more than 30 hours on it. i will check everything else tho

6. Member
    As said, I'm sure this boat will rock after you learn to drive it. Have any friends that might be able to let er rip to see how it runs?

7. Member
    just checked the height below pad it was alittle over 3 inches. i adjusted to 2 1/2 i will see if that helped or hurt. i agree i will have to get used to it .im used to driving my older ranger and it is totally different

8. Member
    It will help and when you learn to drive it better you can move it up to 1 3/4" under. Get all the weight out of the front and either put it un the back or get it out of the boat. Balance the load side to side and if your by yourself put water in the passenger live well.

9. Member
    must be something else wrong . tried it again yesterday at first no change the speedo was 35 mph at wot . comes out of the hole great. i shut the motor down waited a second then steped on the hot food it started to get on pad then set down now it will just idle, like i said this thing has been setting for 4 plus years with staybil . i think the gas is my problem . tookit to the shop this morning. luckily i dont own it yet

10. Member
    Oh sheet! Plugged injectors maybe. Gummed up the fuel pump too I bet.

11. Member
    Idle only,,,,,,,throttle cable?

12. Member
    If it set four 4 years you'll have to replace the fuel lines with the new EPA approved lines, new bulb, new fuel filter and I'd take it to a mechanic because the fuel pumps probably need to be cleaned and rebuilt. Go to the mercury 3.0L board and ask Don Weed he's the moderator about the motor and the fuel probelms. You'll need the serial number off the motor and he can check to make sure all the up grades have been done and tell you more about the pumps and injectors. Don't run it without draining all the gas out of the tank and putting all new fuel in it. You'll just make it worse.

13. Member
    Ranger Rob, every one of your posts we learn something new about this motor. First post you said it had around 40 hours, then next post your confident it has no more than 30 hours, then we find out it has been sitting for 4 years and all it had was stabil in it, and I'm assuming you did not put any fresh gas in it before you ran it, and now it won't do anything but idle That boat will scream, when it's had all the injectors removed and cleaned, new fuel filters put in, spark plugs, fuel lines, and the gas emptied with fresh fuel added. Nothing wrong with the boat, but if you keep running it, you will have major problems with the motor. If you plan to purchase this boat, you will have to do all the above in order to get it running properly. First thing first, you need to take it to a service shop and have it checked out, it may actually have some big issues but we hope not. But, I definitely would not buy a boat without getting the motor checked first, even if it ran great for the test ride. Good Luck!

The Rod Glove Pro Staff

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassManGuy View Post
    Ranger Rob, every one of your posts we learn something new about this motor. First post you said it had around 40 hours, then next post your confident it has no more than 30 hours, then we find out it has been sitting for 4 years and all it had was stabil in it, and I'm assuming you did not put any fresh gas in it before you ran it, and now it won't do anything but idle That boat will scream, when it's had all the injectors removed and cleaned, new fuel filters put in, spark plugs, fuel lines, and the gas emptied with fresh fuel added. Nothing wrong with the boat, but if you keep running it, you will have major problems with the motor. If you plan to purchase this boat, you will have to do all the above in order to get it running properly. First thing first, you need to take it to a service shop and have it checked out, it may actually have some big issues but we hope not. But, I definitely would not buy a boat without getting the motor checked first, even if it ran great for the test ride. Good Luck!
    Absolutely stop running that engine till it's received all the service BassManGuy listed. You really will fluck it up. AND, seems to me like you have a great bargaining position with it not running correctly. Shoot him a low ball offer, you have expenses in getting this boat water worthy again.

+1.....i am learning with my tr196 and at 62 it will scare the chit out of you but i keep trying, i know it will go atleast 10 mph faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDee View Post
    You'll just need to learn to drive the Triton. Chine walk isn't a defect or bad trait, it's completely normal for a boat that gets up on a pad. Did the owner of the boat go out and show you the potential of the boat? I once sold a Gambler to a friend of mine. The boat would run 80, but he couldn't drive it because of chine walk and declaired it an unsafe piece of junk. I went out with him, put it up on the pad and drove it with one hand. He was embarrarsed, and did finally learn to drive the boat. Tritons are fast and great fishing boats, don't get scared off because of the chine walk.

16. The Peoples Champion
    26 tempest,2.5 below pad

17. Member
    the problem ended up being the oil float in the tank on the side of the motor was saturated and stuck . the dealer replaced it and replaced the fuel line. the motor was shutting down on safe mode. the motor was checked and it had exactly 40 hours on it and the boat. i ended up giving around $9000.00 dollars for the boat . the boat runs 67 to 69 mph now . im satisfied. still getting use to driving it tho.i have definately been blessed

18. Member
    If it's a TR19 find a 25" or 26" trophy plus and you'll get over 70 easy. They like the four blade props more than the tempest.

19. Member
    its a tr-19 with a 200 optimax. it has a 25 tempest as of now

It may help to fill the livewell to add balance to the boat as you learn to drive it to its full potential.
    Stroker 21
    Mercury 250 PRO XB

TN Bluewater dealer/rep.
    BBO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast