Guess I will share my Pontoon

Here is my pontoon. I couldnt afford a new one, so I had to build it...
    The text is copied from another site I posted this on, as the build progressed.
    An opportunity presented it self to basically rebuild a very neglected 2006 2250GL Bennington. Here is my chance at owning a Bennington! I was very excited, but also a little nervous at the same time, this is going to be a lot of work. The boat was involved in an accident on the highway where basically put, it came off the trailer and rolled over multiple times.
    Here is the beginning picture and how it was received and purchased from the previous owner:
    DSCN6724.jpg
    DSCN6733.jpg
    DSCN6729.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

DSCN6868.jpg After dropping it off at the welders shop to get the pontoons repaired, and the two spray shields that were torn off. I quickly removed basically...... everything, the rails, the seats, the console, the carpet, and 4 pieces of the plywood floor.
    DSCN6869.jpg

DSCN6867.jpg
    DSCN6961.jpg
    DSCN6964.jpg
    Last edited by Josh*; 08-13-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Attached the floor, installed deck skirting, and laid the carpet. It was a tough choice but ended up with the Mocha Matrix carpet.

DSCN6970.jpg
    DSCN6973.jpg

I chose the silver "super sport" gauge trim with new black gauges, new console has no holes in it so the radio, the binnacle control, key switch, windshield mount all needed to be cut out. If you see something that looks crooked.... I don’t want to know about it!

New helm, new radio trim, new switches, and a SS cup holder!

DSCN6974.jpg

It's coming along nicely. At a stop for a few days waiting on a few parts to arrive. That will give me some time to clean up the old interior that I am going to have to use. It would be nice to install new seating but the budget wont allow that at this time.
    DSCN6990.jpg

It was a tough choice between Regatta blue and Smokey granite panels, I hope I made the right choice.

Last edited by Josh*; 08-13-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Well, im out of parts! Here is the final result.
    DSCN7060.jpg
    DSCN7061.jpg
    DSCN7062.jpg

DSCN7066.jpg

Last edited by Josh*; 08-13-2013 at 09:18 AM.

The build was complete about a year ago. I think I put it in the water late August 2012. I have put nearly 140 hours on it in less than a year.
    Its just a little better than the 1984 18' Lowe with a 30HP Johnson that it replaced. I bet we
    put 400+ hours in two years on the Lowe.
    Pontoon LED.jpg

Pontoon LED 1.jpg

And finaly a picture of my most common passengers. Mom, my son Landon, and his dog, Zak
    Pontoon 2.jpg
    Landon 1.jpg
    Last edited by Josh*; 08-13-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Great story Josh and congratulations on the awesome job you did. It's always good to see a young man willing to do the work necessary to achieve his dream.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

7. Banned
    That's awesome!

Here's my old 1984 30' Alhoha the Miss Layla I rebuilt.

My lovely wife sliding down the slide I rigged up on the back. That's me trying my best to keep her from splashing water in my adult beverage.

Beached at my camp.

Toons Rule!

9. Member
    ^^^^that's what it's all about "TOON LIFE"

Well, the boat has been out of the water for about two weeks now. Im looking forward to putting it back in this weekend and logging a few more hours on it!

so what was the cost of the build compared to a new one/used one? Pulling the trigger on a used 2010 StarCraft Stardeck this weekend.

12. Banned
    If you look carefully and at the right place at the right time, you can get a decent toon with a working motor/trailer for under 2 grand. Spend approximately 4 grand and you have basically a brand new toon (new furniture, batteries, console, etc etc) as long as you're willing to do the work and with a helper it goes faster. Can take about a month of weekends depending on what all you're wanting to do. The stripping down process takes a day, putting on a floor, new carpet and allowing the glue to dry - another day. Putting in furniture, that depends, a day or two. Steering gear isn't too bad (I've always went new NFB - no feedback steering). The longest part is wiring. If you plan good, some wiring can pretty quick (as long as you're decent on crimping etc), and some can be very involved. I have an electric bimini top, 2 electric anchors and LED lights galore. I have 18 switches on my console. One switch toggles to tell me the condition of my house battery and other way for trolling motor battery and the list just goes on. Lights for boarding (with remote control), lights for storage under seats, battery compartment, fuel compartment, porti-potty, courtesy lights front, rear, console not including the underwater lights for the transom pod (Red, White or Blue or all 3).

So with a newer boat like you're looking at, there's not much to do except adding any thing you want extra (mine is rigged for night fishing). Ah yes, there's UV lights along the front rails. But other than the cost of the boat, checking trailer bearings (and maybe adding buddy bearings if you do long trips like I do) and whatever lights you want to add, you will be water ready.

13. Member
    nice toons guys, i can appreciate all the work that goes into a rebuild.

14. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    WOW! Awesome job, Sir. That thing looks great!
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

Thanks Pete.

16. Member
    You did a great job, pontoon looks great. Couple of questions how long is it and what are you running 90hp, if it is how's it performing on it. I bought one this summer to redo this fall, have a 90 4-stroke for it and just wondering. Thanks Jeff
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Jeff, its a 22' boat with 25" tubes and a F90 Yamaha 4 stroke. No strakes, under deck wave shield, or any performance enhancements. I am running a 4 blade prop on it and at WOT, 5,900 RPM, it will do 24 MPH with clean tubes. The 4 blade really lifted the stern of the boat enough that I can trim it up and the ladder does not drag.

18. Member
    Awesome job man! It's all about getting out there with the fam!