Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Bald Eagle Sightings?

Was fishing Dewart, Northern Indiana near Warsaw a couple weeks ago and seen the second Bald Eagle of my life, the first was on Mud Lake near Rochester last year. I got a pretty close look at both as they flew right over me and one landed and hung out in a tree just off shore for a while.

I am really surprised to see them around here and don't know if they nest anywhere close, both sighting in July.

Sorry no picks, but anybody else seeing them lately?
    Proud BBC SPONSOR - Hand Made in USA

2. Member
    They must be pretty rare up there. I have seen one on the Ohio river Louisville and another on the river near Cincinnati.

If you want to see more take a trip to Dale Hollow. I always see several every trip and saw 6 at once down there last fall.

Quite and amazing bird.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

3. Banned
    My parents live on Lake Waveland on the Parke/Montgomery county border and see bald eagles all the time. I was over there on the 21st and saw one with my dad while we were out fishing.
    Can't remember when exactly, probably 15-20 years ago, we had a real mild winter when Lake Waveland didn't freeze over and we had a crapload of eagles for that winter. One day we counted 17 eagles. Waveland is only a 360 acre lake, so it was a pretty amazing sight.

4. Member
    They are becoming more common down here, which is really nice. I live right off of the Ohio, and there are a lot of nests around here. They have even spread out to other area lakes as well

See them all the time around here, and last year saw some ospreys. Was out at a clients house on the salamonie river this winter, counted 8 unique ones fishing the river in about 10 minutes. They roost around the river, and can see 20 at a time.

I seen one in the spring at Potato Creek and we seen one at Eagle Lake by Edwardsburg Mi.

7. Member
    The salamonie and mississenawa area have tons of bald eagles around. There are actually quite a few tours in the area if you want to do something like that.
    Justin Cole
    2006 Basscat Sabre w/ 150 Optimax

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I have seen them around the Mississinewa also. There are several around Brookville Lake...as well as ospreys.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

I think it is more rare to go to mississenwa or salamonie and not see one than it is to see one.

10. Banned
    I was on Dewart with Steve C. last year,and we watched a bald eagle work a coot flock for 1/2 hour trying for a meal.. every time the eagle got close, the coots dove and the eagle didn't seem to figure out where they went.

Form what I understand, the eagle there is a resident, and I have seen them elsewhere over in the Syracuse/North Webster area. They sure are cool birds.

11. Member
    Very common at lake lemon.
    Basscat!

12. Member
    saw one last saturday a week ago. lives on the island at dewart- makes me proud to be an american

13. Banned
    Lots of them on patoka lake. Rare trip there when you don't see one it seems.

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    We have a place on Dewart and see them all the time. If you are ever on Dewart - find the flats south of the island. Get behind the reeds and look up. Right on the shoreline is their nest in a tree about 50 feet up. The eagles are constantly fishing and bringing fish to their babies. I have see a few of the babies on the limbs next to the nest - but have yet to see the babies flying. I know last year I watched a parent teach the offspring to fish. They eventually took a fairly good size bass and landed on the shore right infront of me and had a nice meal. We are thinking this nest is actually the off spring of the pair that nest over by blueberry island. These birds are HUGE. Probably 7' wing span.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Lots of them on patoka lake. Rare trip there when you don't see one it seems.
    Yep, and lots of ospreys too.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

16. Member
    Lakes west of Indy also have them. Seen them at Waveland, Flint, Cataract, Raccoon and Heritage. Heritage has osprey, too. White R. north of Indy had a nesting pair a couple years back.

-T9

Here are some pictures of Patoka eagles from a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

18. Member
    White River has at least 5 nesting pairs from Noblesville to Waverly, maybe even more. Ospreys are also making a big comeback around here, have seen more and more lately. Saw three juveniles just last night at Broad Ripple just below 465.

Yep at Patoka last weekend saw 2-3, one got him a fish meal. Cool to watch, only about 70 yards away.

Saw 4 today, 2 mature and 2 juveniles at Big Oaks in Jefferson Co. Indiana
    "See beyond what others see."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast