Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

There are jobs out there

Just no skilled labor.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Drew Greenblatt has been looking for more than a year for three sheet-metal set-up operators to work day, night or weekend shifts.

The president of Marlin Steel Wire Products, a company in Baltimore with 30 employees, Mr Greenblatt says his inability to find qualified workers is hampering his business’s growth. “If I could fill those positions, I could raise our annual revenues from $5m to $7m,” he says.

He is offering a salary of more than $80,000 with overtime, including health and pension benefits. Yet in spite of extensive advertising, he has had no qualified applicants. He is trying to train some of his unskilled staff but says none has the ability or drive to complete the training.

Vacancies, the number of unfilled positions, have risen by 35 per cent since their trough in June 2009 – but the unemployment rate has remained stubbornly high. If there are jobs but people are not filling them, it may be because their skills are not up to scratch, say those who fear structural unemployment.</td></tr></table>
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Re: There are jobs out there (Alan S)

Or when you do see someone hired into a job that they could very well retire from making six figures easily with some OT and very good benefits, they jump ship and quit without even making it past orientation.

Re: There are jobs out there (KellyJoe)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by KellyJoe &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Or when you do see someone hired into a job that they could very well retire from making six figures easily with some OT and very good benefits, they jump ship and quit without even making it past orientation. </td></tr></table>

That's one of the points in the article. The work is there, just can't find many willing to fill them.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

4. Member
    Almost like they thinking why work when Obama is gonna give me stuff for free. I am young only 29 but I have noticed alot of my generation and younger have no drive or want for a better life. Its kind of sad.
    2014 Gatortail 1854 Extreme

It's a damn shame to interview hundreds and pick six then to have one quit. There are people that would kill for a job like this. What happened to the hands that are willing to actually work?

On a side note I've never seen / met anyone from Arnaudville other than my Dad. My Grandma's from Kaplan too.

Re: (Thib)

One of our customers is Amtrak. I've had long conversations with some of their track maintenance crew leaders and the level of employee turnover is ridiculous...

A lot of them don't get through the initial drug screen. Good riddance, you don't need to be around machinery anyhow.

Some don't want to work overnights, in spite of the fact they've been out of work for a long time. Too inconvenient for them

Some don't understand the concept of showing up to work every day, on time and ready to go. Then they actually get asshurt when told to straighten up. A lifetime of praise and self esteem touchy feely feel good really pays off in the real world.

The funny thing is, railroad track work is nothing like it was 30 years ago. The machines do the majority of the work, there is little manual labor, you are basically babysitting the machine.

So yeah I agree there is work out there. There just isn't enough people who want to do it. And Amtrak is hardly a chump change job either.
    Ranting incoherently

Re: (bilgerat)

On a less technical note. At least two a month walk in here asking for a job, but, they don't want you to hire them, they just want a referrence for the unemployment office.

You have to go to ask three a month in order to keep drawing unemployment.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

Re: (SkeeterDD22)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by SkeeterDD22 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">On a less technical note. At least two a month walk in here asking for a job, but, they don't want you to hire them, they just want a referrence for the unemployment office.

You have to go to ask three a month in order to keep drawing unemployment.</td></tr></table>

10. Member

Re: (SkeeterDD22)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by SkeeterDD22 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">On a less technical note. At least two a month walk in here asking for a job, but, they don't want you to hire them, they just want a referrence for the unemployment office.

You have to go to ask three a month in order to keep drawing unemployment.</td></tr></table> i have had 3 people come in and do try that same thing at my work.. just this month!! Sad thing is all 3 of them admitted thats what they were doing.Ticks me off.. still waiting for a phone call

11. Member

I just moved to Arnaudville a few years ago. My wifes from there. I like it alot though

Re: There are jobs out there (Thib)

I have seen several articles like the one above, regarding different industry's. The problem in my area is trying to find someone who can pass the drug test.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Sounds familiar. My tournament partner is the head honcho of a major gear company in Akron. He's repeatedly said how hard it is to find someone with solid basic skills. He says that too many kids are going to college, instead of taking shop classes. Well, being a college prof, I can say that there are definitely a number of students who would do better for themselves by getting into a good manual labor job and excelling at it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Re: (Jeff Hahn)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Jeff Hahn &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Sounds familiar. My tournament partner is the head honcho of a major gear company in Akron. He's repeatedly said how hard it is to find someone with solid basic skills. He says that too many kids are going to college, instead of taking shop classes. Well, being a college prof, I can say that there are definitely a number of students who would do better for themselves by getting into a good manual labor job and excelling at it.</td></tr></table>

A big part of the problem is many educators want to put academically underperforming kids into vocational and shop classes and keep the more gifted kids out of those classes. That is a huge mistake right there.

You will never fill skilled job openings as long as you embrace that philosophy. This country has enough over educated college degree carrying fools wandering around being administrators and making decisions. Look where that has got us
    Ranting incoherently

NO ONE WANTS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, why should we blame them, we will work so they dont have too.

16. Proud American Union local16's Avatar

[quote=Thib I am young only 29 but I have noticed alot of my generation and younger have no drive or want for a better life. Its kind of sad. [/quote]
    It's their up bringing

Dale Sinclair original

17. Member

Re: (local16)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Thib &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Almost like they thinking why work when Obama is gonna give me stuff for free. </td></tr></table>
    Nonsense.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by local16 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    It's their up bringing </td></tr></table>
    Absolutely!

Re: (jerzia)

If they were in Florida i'd be there knocking on their door every day until they hired me! For 80k a year, i'd study day and night to learn it. Idiots.
    2008, 2009, 2011, & 2014 PBA Angler Of The Year

19. Member

Re: (jerzia)

Please explain how my comment is nonsense? If they dont have a job they get free medical, food stamps and wellfare checks. Why get a job when the government makes it so easy for someone to skate by and live off tax payers. Maybe I shouldnt said Obama because it started way before he got into office. I dont know how things are were you are from but the town I grew up in is full of trash that wont get a job. Just like a few other guys said about the unemployment thing. Get your paper signed off on a couple times a month to make it look like your looking for a job. Its just not right. I am just stating my opinion and what I see going on around me. Things may be different other places

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Thib &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Please explain how my comment is nonsense? If they dont have a job they get free medical, food stamps and wellfare checks. Why get a job when the government makes it so easy for someone to skate by and live off tax payers. Maybe I shouldnt said Obama because it started way before he got into office. I dont know how things are were you are from but the town I grew up in is full of trash that wont get a job. Just like a few other guys said about the unemployment thing. Get your paper signed off on a couple times a month to make it look like your looking for a job. Its just not right. I am just stating my opinion and what I see going on around me. Things may be different other places</td></tr></table>

Kinda sorta agree here. But it is Obama that keeps extending the umemployment benefits. If you are drawing unemployment and maybe find a cash job there is no incentive to go back to work.

The other ironic part of the comment is that he is trying to train his existing employees but they do not have the drive to learn the trade. We run into this all the time. I need people that want to learn the trade and help our company grow.
    We owe illegals NOTHING. We owe Veterans EVERYTHING
    "No, Al won't be posting a statement."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast