Thread: Tow vehicle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tow vehicle

hey guys I am looking to get a new car i have a 2013 ranger Z520c I would rather stick with an suv but might get a truck

2. Member
    If you go SUV check the tow ratings, a lot of the smaller ones say they are rated for 7400lb but I would not trust it. I would look to a Tahoe/Yukon if you want SUV.

3. Member
    I have an 02 trailblazer....I think,my props are worth more than it is...

4. Member
    Toyota Sequoia.

I have a Tahoe and it handles the boat good. We have so steep grades and its no problem. Mine has the 5.3.

Suburban

If all you are going to pull is the bass boat I agree with you totally.
    Stick with the SUV and you don't even need a big one. Mid size will pull any bass boat out there.
    Last edited by LittleRiver MSports; 07-11-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

Ford Expedition will do everything you need from a towing perspective. But it's like anything, you ask a large group, you get a large variety of answers...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

9. Member
    What does you expedition get mileage wise? Thinking of upgrading at some point

I tow with a Expedition that has the heavy duty tow package. (not the standard) It tows great! I tow a 30ft travel trailer with it. I had a F-150 that had the 4.6L engine and while it towed ok, when you hit some really bigger hills, it would struggle some. The Ecoboost have a higher tow capacity than the standard trucks. I get better fuel milage with the Expedition and the larger engine than I did with the smaller engine in the F-150. If buying new, (or even used) find something that has the HD tow package. You can have the vin # run to make sure. The HD package will have extra or larger transmission coolers, pre-wired 8 pin connection, higher hitch rating, etc.
    "I see dead people"

11. Member
    If you're looking new, I don't think you can go wrong with a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV. I have an ESV and it tows great. I few weeks ago I came across a deal and purchased a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Power Stroke so I wasn't using the Escalade as much for heavy duty and very dirty things. Let me tell you, that excursion would tow a house right down the road. If Ford still made them I would own a new one every few years.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhager1979 View Post
    hey guys I am looking to get a new car i have a 2013 ranger Z520c I would rather stick with an suv but might get a truck
    If you're wanting a new SUV or full size pickup truck, get ready for sticker shock. For a large SUV, you can easily push $50K. For a mid size, they're easily running in the low $40's. The smaller SUV's and Korean SUV's can easily get into the mid $30's.

When not towing, the large SUV's are getting about 16-18 mpg. The mid size SUV's will get 22-23 mpg. The smaller SUV's might get 23-28 mpg.

If I was towing a bass boat, the terrain and how many miles will be used towing would be important.

I personally prefer a full size crew cab pickup truck due to their ability to do so many things and they're readily available on the new and used market.

13. Member
    I have a Tahoe with the 5.3 tow pkg. I also have a 1997 for f150 extended cab with the 4.6L engine. I tow a 21ft hawk on a tandem axle trailer. As far as towing power and driving comfort the Tahoe wins hands down. I use it on long towing trips just because I am able to get more comfortable on the ride back home. As far as handling with the boat in tow, I will take the f150 any day of the week. The longer wheelbase handles the load much better. If I were choosing and the primary consideration was towing, I would go with the pickup.

Curtis

Be sure to check out the Nissan Armada before you buy anything. This will very likely be my next vehicle, they are beasts!!

15. Member
    Dumax next.

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    If all I did was tow a boat around and fish it would hands down be a suburban parked in the garage. And small pickup for the daily driver and toting whatever. There is no equal to a Suburban on long trips. Gives an entire new definition to comfort. Get one loaded out with everything and don't look back.

Very good friend of mine had one that he kept in the garage and only used it to pull his boat with. When we fished tournaments he would always take the Suburban on our longer trips. Very nice ride.

17. Banned
    The Suburbans will be completely new in 2 months, with new generation, more efficient engines. In road tests, the new gasoline GM truck engines are getting high ratings in towing and fuel efficiency. The Tahoe will also be a completely new vehicle.

The current model (2013) Suburban 4x4 equipped for towing is about $48,000 dealers cost, and payments on such a vehicle would run $860 per month for 60 months. Ouch!

If anyone wants to ride in style and tow with a big SUV, they must be prepared to pay the price. And to think my 1999 Ford Expedition was $24,750 dealers' cost after sales incentives.

18. Member
    If you have not priced vehicles in a while you may need a good cardiologist lined up. I would go with the f150 Supercrew at least Lariat style.

Quote Originally Posted by rhager1979 View Post
    The biggere suv's are top of the line, no doubt but you can get by with a whole lot less and still have power and safety.
    Honda Pilot used will do all you need or something that size.
    Chevy Tahoe, gmc blazers. No your not going to outrun a gt mustang from a stop sign pulling your boat but towing is no where anyone needs to be showing off anyhow.
    If you ever has question or worry about stopped go electric over hydraulic brakes on both axles and that will end your worries.
    It don't get no better than that.
    Used truck.?
    Pick you up a second generation dodge diesel. around 14000 just stay away from the automatics.
    2000 3500 here with 168000 miles. just spent 4 grand repainting her and complete custom job and that cummins will be here when i'm dead and gone but its way more than you need for a bass boat.

First thing to look for in a towing unit is something your,,,,,,,,going to be happy driving. The rest is the easy part.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

20. Member
    If you can find an Avalanche still sitting on a dealers lot take a test drive. The Caddy version gets you the 6.2L. The prices will make you.

Most comfortable "truck" I've ever owned, and I had this and a standard wheelbase Escalade in the driveway at the same time when we bought it. The Avalanche rode better. Hard to beat the Suburban platform for a comfy boat tower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast