Stratos 275 Aerator vs recirculator and problems?

The recirculator works. When I flip the switch, it sprays water across the top of the livewell.

The aerators, on the other hand, don't seem to do anything. I've tried manual mode, auto mode, 2 minute, and 6 minute, nothing seems to happen.

What are the aerators supposed to do? I'm pretty sure one of them pulls water from outside, and the other one pumps water from in the livewell. I don't know which is which though. Is it a common problem where one works but the other does not? Where should be the first place that I check? The aerator doesn't seem to work in either livewell.

Any info you guys could provide would be most helpful.

Thanks!

2. Member
    aerator brings water in from outside, recirc pumps water from one livewell to the other, unless you have it on pump out. I would start with the switch and work back from there.

3. Member
    I just went through this with my 285 pro xl. The text below helped me get the aerator pumps going. I posted something similar in the general bassboat topics area. I'd share the link but I'm not that tech savy. Hope it helps!

You forgot about a dash switch that you probably have. It is often labeled "Fishing/Recir" I think. The fill pumps are controlled by switches at the bow. When you sit down to run somewhere else, you can turn the fill pumps off with the flip of the one switch, then turn on recirculators. When you shur down in a new spot, you flip the switch back to "fishing" and the fill/overflow pumps (with a timer) will work like they were set to do - no more switch fumbling. YOU HAVE TO FLIP THE SWITCH TO "FISHING" for the fill pumps to work.....

4. Banned
    I am the one who posted the comment about the dash switch. The aerators on many Stratos boats with a 4 pump system are set up to draw lake water in via a transom pump. As new water is pumped in, it is sprayed into the livewell via a nozzle that aerates it. Excess water flows out the 1.5 inch overflow plumbing. The Aerator pumps are controlled from the bow as you have noted correctly. However, those switches and timer selections are disabled unless the dash switch is set to "FISHING". Your boat may or may not be set up that way.

5. Member
    Indeed... There is a Master Aerator switch on the console panel, with selections for "Off" and "Fishing". Flipping it to fishing, and manual operation on bot port and starboard work as expected. However - when I flip the starboard one to "Auto", nothing happens. Presumably if I wait long enough, it will do what it's supposed to do. But the port one - it turns on immediately when I flip it to auto, the exact same behavior as setting it to manual, like it's ignoring the timer... ?

Is this normal? If I leave it run, will it turn off? Since the boat is in the garage, I didn't want to run the pumps dry for too long..

Thanks!

6. Member
    If there are two timers one may be defective, or the bow switch could be bad. I'd vote for timer.

7. Member
    I have a 2004 Stratos PRO 275 XL, and I was sent this 'diagram' of the original aerator system from Ranger/Triton/Stratos:
    275 pro1 Live Well.jpg

I had 'similiar' problems as you are describing.
    My problems were, both pumps WERE WORKING, I could hear them. But, the rear transom filter screen on my rig was missing. My marine mechanic came up with one that was not original equipment but very similiar and works great.
    Second, a piece of debris had 'floated into or was sucked into' my aeration system for the livewell, so again, my marine mechanic found it and removed it but some small part had lodged in the 'red head' aeration valve so I had him replace it.
    Now works perfectly as designed.
    If you have power to both pumps, then check for debris in the 'red head' valve ....you should get a full force stream just like your fill valve on the other side of the live well but one is on a timer.
    C&O Marine (check the internet for phone and email - i.e., 'Parts Mom') has a large amount of Stratos hard to find parts.
    Hope some of this helps,
    r/
    Lee in Texas

8. Member
    Forgot to add, , TXguy201, is/was VERY hepful along with Ranger in solving my problems. He went wayyyyyyyy out of his way to assist being another Stratos owner. Don't neglect any/all of his inputs as well
    r/
    Lee in Texas

9. Member
    This is the other picture sent to me that I could not attach ??? . Anyway hope this helps....this is from Ranger/Triton/Stratos:

275 pro3 Live Well.jpg

r/
    Lee in Texas

10. Member
    There is only one timer switch. The up position is labeled 2, the down position is labeled 6, and the middle position is not labeled.

There are separate switches for port and starboard that are labeled Auto when up, Manual when down, and no label in the middle.

I'll start with the switch. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it tonight after work.

Thanks!

11. Banned
    Lee, he doesn't have the same system you do. His is quite different and he is dealing with an electrical issue I am familiar with.

exx1976,

I am very familiar with your pump control system. I've worked on them for others, and had it on two of my own Stratos models, with one being my current boat. Your issue is with the starboard livewell switch or wiring for that switch. For the two livewell switches, center is OFF, down is MANUAL, and up is AUTO, as you have noted. It sounds like 3 out of 4 functions work: Manual for both pumps, and auto for the port pump. This tells us a lot. There is ONE timer in the boat. It is a small red cannister behind the front panel in the wiring there. The 2/4/6 is the number of minutes the pump is OFF between cycles. With the two separate switches, you can select "Auto" for either or both livewells. The fact that it works on auto for the port side tells us that the timer itself is not the problem.

The timer itself draws power when running (not just the pumps), so it is wired to have power only if either/both switches are in "Auto". So, when a switch is flipped to Auto it connects 12V to the timer, so the timer turns on. The timer OUTPUT then connects back to other terminals on both switches. In this way, one timer can control both livewells. They will turn on and off together if both switches are set to Auto. You have proved that the timer is working. It appears that the timer output is not getting through the bad switch to turn on the pump. We know the pump works because it runs when you select manual. So.....it seems the "Auto" contact of the starboard switch is corroded or broken. As a temporary fix, you can try taking the boot cover off the switch to spray lubricant inside the switch at the ball socket of the "bat" handle. Flip it back and forth 20 times and see if that gets it going for now.

You most likely need a new switch. (I assume it's a toggle switch with a "bat" handle based on guessing about the boat's vintage.) The switches have blade terminals. I highly recommend taking the extra time to get a switch with blade terminals so you can do a much simpler replacement. Here is what you need to replace one of those switches: DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) 3 position switch, ON-OFF-ON. Here is the exact switch I've found for that function in several Stratos boats: CARLING TECHNOLOGIES Toggle Switch, DPDT, On/Off/On - Toggle Switches - 4X851|2GM51-73 - Grainger Industrial Supply That switch is available from a number of places. You do not have to get the same brand, but match the description and be sure to get blade terminals (not screw terminals).

The switch will have 6 blade terminals on back. To install it, make sure master power is OFF, remove existing switch from panel with wires still connected. Move wiring from old to new switch one terminal at a time so you get them all in the right order. You will probably need a small screwdriver to help pry the blade terminals free without ripping wires loose. Take photos with your phone before you start to be sure. There is no up/down orientation for the switch. It can be rotated either way as you start to move the wires to it.

12. Member
    TX - thanks, I'll give that a shot. Based on your in-depth description, I'll do some t-shooting with my DVOM. I had the bow plate open a few times replacing the trolling motor and the bow electronics, so it's always possible I could have wiggled something loose or damaged an old wire. At least now I know how it should work and have a basis from which to move forward.

I'll update the thread as I get a chance to work on it and find the solution. Worked kind of late tonight, so now it's all about the beer and the grill. Maybe tomorrow after work. We'll see.

Thanks again!

13. Member
    I need to replace both aerators in the picture above but having a hell of a time finding current model numbers. Has anyone replaced theirs and can lead me in the right direction?<br>tia

14. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools