Optimax 150 Help with oil pump prime procedure

2000 Optimax 150. Replaced oil pump and 2 hoses. To start oil pump prime I turned key to on and moved shifter from neutral to forward 5 times. Nothing happens. At least I do not hear anything. Tried it numerous times. Nothing. WHen key is turned to on the normal beep is heard. All the 20 amp fuses look okay. I am sliding into severe depression as the salmon are running here big time. This is what I have been waiting for all year. I am wondering if the pump is bad although it is brand new from Crowley Marine. I can not bear to have to pull that out again and wait for a new one. Gotta be something simple here. Please, someone must have a solution. Help!

2. Moderator
    The best way to prime the pump is for you to have a dealer do it with the CDS.. You can prime the oil pump w/o putting PCM back into "break in" mode. Are you sure the original pump was bad and not the result of a faulty PCM or other issue?

3. Member
    The original pump was leaking out the back around the eletrical connection. Some of the hoses were also leaking due to splitting in the hose interior lining. The new hoses are different and much better. The dealer is kind of far away from here to hook up the CDS. If that is my only option I guess I will make the trip.
    I believe I can get this to work eventually. Got to be something simple I am overlooking, which is usually the case. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree with Sherm... oil pump prime is BEST done with the CDS (or a DDT), as that avoids placing the engine back into break-in mode.

If you are determined to reset break-in mode, the following criteria must be met:

-Fully charged battery
    -Key ON
    -Laynard ON
    -Shifter must be moved from NEUTRAL to FORWARD at least 3 times in the first FIVE SECONDS after key is turned on.

Note: If the SHIFT POSITION SWITCH is disconnected, bypassed, or faulty... this proceedure WILL NOT WORK.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I had to have the oil tank replaced on my 115 opti due to the dipstick breaking and getting stuck in the float and its well worth it to have a tech hook it up and prime everything via computer. You know there is no guesswork then.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    True all, but whats the fun in that. Anyway, turns out the shift shaft switch was faulty as it failed the continuety test. In the interim I was able to get the pump prime procedure to work by tricking the computer by bypassing the switch with a jump wire attached and removed quickly 5 times. Almost as fun as fishing!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I agree with Sherm... oil pump prime is BEST done with the CDS (or a DDT), as that avoids placing the engine back into break-in mode.

If you are determined to reset break-in mode, the following criteria must be met:

-Fully charged battery
    -Key ON
    -Laynard ON
    -Shifter must be moved from NEUTRAL to FORWARD at least 3 times in the first FIVE SECONDS after key is turned on.

Note: If the SHIFT POSITION SWITCH is disconnected, bypassed, or faulty... this proceedure WILL NOT WORK.
    EuropeanAM, your last statement about the Shift position switch, that's the yellow / red wires right? That would explain why mine isn't doing it hopefully.This is the first place I've seen all of the detail with that pointed out... THANK YOU!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fergusmj View Post
    EuropeanAM, your last statement about the Shift position switch, that's the yellow / red wires right? That would explain why mine isn't doing it hopefully.This is the first place I've seen all of the detail with that pointed out... THANK YOU!
    NOT the yellow w/red stripe wires. That's the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH.

The shift position switch is located inside the engine cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks, now I know what you are referring to. I'm guessing that mine is not working.

Thanks,
    - Mike

10. Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

-Fully charged battery
    -Key ON
    -Laynard ON

Hi, Don.

I have a pair of 2000 200hp Opti's on the back of my SeaCraft. The motors have 927 hours on them. Should I replace the compressors in the spring or just leave them alone? Also, I'm looking at a DDT for those motors, however, there isn't a 2000 SmartCraft cartridge with it. It does have an outboard late 90's cartridge with it. Can I use that for that cartridge to put those motors into break-in mode should you recommend I touch the compressors? Please let me know. As always, your expertise and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaCraftOptimax View Post
    Hi, Don.

I have a pair of 2000 200hp Opti's on the back of my SeaCraft. The motors have 927 hours on them. Should I replace the compressors in the spring or just leave them alone? Also, I'm looking at a DDT for those motors, however, there isn't a 2000 SmartCraft cartridge with it. It does have an outboard late 90's cartridge with it. Can I use that for that cartridge to put those motors into break-in mode should you recommend I touch the compressors? Please let me know. As always, your expertise and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
    Your best chance at getting Don's reply will be to post in the 3L forum (what your engines are) and be sure to include both engine serial numbers.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax