Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Large windshields on FS boats?

Just wondering why the FS boats have such large wrap-around, walk through windshields. Most bass boats I've seen have much smaller windshields, heck my Monark had one that came only 7 inches above the console and that was only on the driver's side.

Thanks gang, Carroll

2. Member
    Well, Fish & Ski boats are not Bass boats. Fish & Ski boats are different from bass boats. The large, walk-through, wrap around windshield is one of the main differences. Bass boats are single purpose built for bass fishing and maximize design features for fishing. Fish & Skis are multi-purpose boats, They are more family & fun orientated, designed to fish, pull skiers & tubes, etc, and provide more seating & wind protection for using as family cruising boat or runabout type boat. The catch is, they are a design compromise-they don't bass fish as well as a bass boat, they don't pull skiers & tubers as well as a ski boat, and they don't cruise & ride as well as a V-hull runabout. The big windshield provides wind (& rain) protection and F&S boats have snap-on tops that attach to the top of the windshield. All that being said, there have been some F&S boats made with bass boat style little windshields. They are basically bass boats with extra seating. What I don't get is people who buy F&S boats and then complain about the windshields-they saw the windshield when you bought it, if they wanted a bass boat, why didn't they just buy a bass boat to start with? Also, you can remove the big windshield from a F&S and put on bass boat style little ones-numerous people have done that.
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Also, you can remove the big windshield from a F&S and put on bass boat style little ones-numerous people have done that.
    I have actually been thinking about putting the smaller Bass Boat style windshields on my 96 Nitro 205 Sport FS since the passenger side window in my boat is broken. Problem I have run into though is, Phoenix AZ boat shops seem to have very limited supply if any of them in stock, and it is hard to picture how it would look or fit from an internet site. It is making it hard to drop the coin to buy them. My other alternative is to stick with the wrap around windows and get the replacement glass from Taylor Made. I have heard the replacement glass is about $300 or so. Decisions Decisions :)

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you've ever been soaking wet in a bathing suit or trunks going 60MPH, you'll know why they have windshields.

the windshield is a pain for fishing, but early in the season it is sure nice on a cold wet day.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I like hiding behind mine when others are getting pounded by rain!!!!
    99 Coral 202
    99 Merc 225 EFI
    917c & 997SI Birds

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces' View Post
    I like hiding behind mine when others are getting pounded by rain!!!!
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

7. Member
    Here's a guy who put some samller windshields on his. Don't look to bad.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/ProCr...s/RBishop2.jpg
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    What I don't get is people who buy F&S boats and then complain about the windshields-they saw the windshield when you bought it, if they wanted a bass boat, why didn't they just buy a bass boat to start with?
    Agreed. Every boat is a compromise somewhere. Part of the compromise with a F&S is the windshield. It's awesome to have for me since we fish all winter. Heck, I even opted for the taller windshield on my boat (does not wrap around nearly as far, which is a plus) as I'm fairly tall. It does get in the way once in a blue moon while fishing, but I sure value having it a LOT more often than I ever regret it.
    John

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny146 View Post

Wonder where he got his. Just blew out the passenger side curved windshield on mine this weekend. Those small ones look great.

10. Member
    I got a fish and ski because I wanted the windshield and I only use it to fish for bass. I like the wind, rain and water protection and in the fall on the Delta it gets cold running around. Since it's just me and my girlfriend there's plenty of room to fish. I don't know what you gain by putting on the smaller windshield. You don't get more deck space, etc.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I got a fish and ski because I wanted the windshield and I only use it to fish for bass. I like the wind, rain and water protection and in the fall on the Delta it gets cold running around. Since it's just me and my girlfriend there's plenty of room to fish. I don't know what you gain by putting on the smaller windshield. You don't get more deck space, etc.
    One thing you gain is the ability to side arm cast lower if you are looking to skip baits up under docks or bushes. Not major. For me I am thinking about doing it because it is looking like it may be cheaper to do then replacing the glass that got broken on mine.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    One thing you gain is the ability to side arm cast lower if you are looking to skip baits up under docks or bushes. Not major. For me I am thinking about doing it because it is looking like it may be cheaper to do then replacing the glass that got broken on mine.
    That makes sense. If I'm on the right side of the boat I can't cast that way. If my windshield were broken and it was cheaper I'd consider it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    That makes sense. If I'm on the right side of the boat I can't cast that way. If my windshield were broken and it was cheaper I'd consider it.
    Replacement glass on mine hust for the port side that broke is $505 plus shipping. Guessing shipping is pretty steep to since it is glass and large. Looking into getting custom mold and tint to make me some plexi ones now. Did think of another plus for the bass boat windshield too. Will make it so I can put a large side imaging unit on a ram mount in.

14. Member
    Just blew out the passenger side curved windshield on mine this weekend.
    I REALLY hope you get that fixed before winter this year. LOL
    I'd Rather be Fishing

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addict View Post
    I REALLY hope you get that fixed before winter this year. LOL
    You're just going to have to get a Save Phace :)

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny146 View Post

Man I want this...I live in Az and this would be perfect...Wonder where I could get this?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YELOSUB View Post
    Man I want this...I live in Az and this would be perfect...Wonder where I could get this?
    I tried to email the user of the boat in that pic and did not get a response. Anyone know where he had those made?

18. Member
    I tried to email the user of the boat in that pic and did not get a response. Anyone know where he had those made?
    If you find out let me know and vice versa...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YELOSUB View Post
    If you find out let me know and vice versa...
    Just sent measurements and a tracing of how I want the bottom to go to custom mold and tint. See what they can come up with for me.

20. Member
    The lower blue tape line on this pic is what I want the new windshields to be shaped like. Think that will look pretty bad ass in a light smoke colored plexi. Thinking maybe have the Champion Logo etched onto the bottom of both shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast