Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    I have spun this motor close to 8k rpm so far. Its all balanced to within a 10th of a gram. I spun the stock motor to over 7k rpm many many times.

2. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Any new updates on your little rocket?

3. Member
    Sorry for the slow reply. Been very busy.
    I ate a propshaft carrier bearing and got that fixed with a better bearing. Had to replace the bearing and the shaft.
    Next time out I cracked a skeg. Caught it early so we are trying a repair. It was about an inch and the skeg was really thin there from the factory. Rich Junker at Leading Edge Propeller welded it and also beefed it up there. I dont like the idea of a welded skeg but it took me two years to find this Inshore Series gearcase.

I just got my two new Performance Propeller ET style props from Tim. I have a 32 that went 94mph and I had him make me a 28 with a LOT of cup for carrying a load (passenger) and a thin 34 for top end only. Both props are gorgeous. I need to get out and see what the 34 will do. Its a lot thinner than my 32 and has less cup. I have high hopes for a 96mph pass.

IMAG2225.jpg

IMAG2227.jpg

4. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Yes,those gear cases are almost non existent,and hopefully that will fix it for good.Those props look sweet,and i bet you pick up a little more speed once you run that 34.

5. Member
    Update:

Tried a 34 ET style prop from Performance Propeller but it was so much pitch the paddle wheel effect of the surfacing prop tried to hook the boat at 91mph. The same prop in a 32 went 94mph at 7100rpm.

I have started on a new project for the motor. Is currently a 20" motor but with the shorter inshore gearcase its 17-3/4". I just picked up a custom 15" midsection for it and will be converting it over soon. I will have to get the driveshaft shortened but have everything else I need. This will make the motor 12-3/4" when its done. Should be a big improvement in handling getting the powerhead down a lot lower.
    The parts were off a Yamaha powered drag boat run by Bob Lipton and the mod was done by Bob Kottman. Really nice work. I have to paint it since it was white. Already started sanding and touching up some of the filler. Should have it in primer this weekend.

IMAG2506.jpg IMAG2509.jpg

6. Member
    Photoshopped a before and after to show what it will look like.

dons pic.jpg dons pic 13.jpg

7. Member
    Getting there!
    I have to cut the tuner down about 1/2". It sticks out the mid about an inch and is hitting inside the lower unit.

8. Member
    New short motor is together and ran for the first time today. The boat feels much better balanced and ran 2mph faster than before with the same small prop I use for carry passengers. 28 x 15 Performance Propellers ET @7100 rpm ran 86.1mph.
    Losing 30 pounds and getting that big powerhead down out of the airflow certainly helped.

That sounds "bad azz!"
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    That sounds "bad azz!"
    Sounds better at 7-8k rpm

11. Member
    I said it would run 95mph on the Suwanee this weekend and it did...and then some.
    I went out Saturday morning with plans to make high speed passes with some others but I was the only one who showed up. I asked some fishermen to keep an eye on me while I made one pass just to feel out the new prop.
    The boat was on rails and ran super straight with much less crabbing.
    She went right past 95 and topped out at 97.4mph with conservative trim, a half tank of fuel, and cold (56 degrees) but humid air.
    I wanted to bump the trim but I was happy with that and with really no safety backup called it good and back to the trailer.

The pass had zero drama. The boat ran so much straighter it was far less sketchy than previous top end runs. The new heads make a HUGE difference in acceleration as well. A little more testing and a good cold dry day with high air pressure she will run 98mph.

I know it begs the question is there a 100mph pass in it and I dont think so. I suppose the same special cut Tim at performance did to my 32 done to a 34 might be driveable and do it.

Today the air was better. Not as cold but high air pressure and very dry. The motor loved it and another 1mph/100rpm faster with my little prop. I was really tempted to put the 32 on but it was a little windy.

Really want to thank Tim at Performance Propeller for the special work he did to the prop. I may go ahead and cut the tuner to Hydrotecs specs which hurts bottom end but was good for 10hp up top on their dyno.

I took before and after GPS pics with time stamps and odometer reading since I was alone

20141108_091547.jpg 20141108_091703.jpg

12. Member
    This thing might have a 100mph pass in it in saltwater.

13. Member

14. Member

15. RIP -April 30,2023
    different motor but i ran a pro v yamaha years ago that the factory tuner was horrible. i bouht ht tuner and it made a world of difference all the way around. im guessing that most factory tuners arent as restrictive as the factory tuners in the pro v yammis, at least, i hope not. good luck with your rig. your proly know this but, 100 aint gonna be enough, if you are anything like myself. always wanting another mph. its a sickness i think. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    I said it would run 95mph on the Suwanee this weekend and it did...and then some.
    I went out Saturday morning with plans to make high speed passes with some others but I was the only one who showed up. I asked some fishermen to keep an eye on me while I made one pass just to feel out the new prop.
    The boat was on rails and ran super straight with much less crabbing.
    She went right past 95 and topped out at 97.4mph with conservative trim, a half tank of fuel, and cold (56 degrees) but humid air.
    I wanted to bump the trim but I was happy with that and with really no safety backup called it good and back to the trailer.

The pass had zero drama. The boat ran so much straighter it was far less sketchy than previous top end runs. The new heads make a HUGE difference in acceleration as well. A little more testing and a good cold dry day with high air pressure she will run 98mph.

I know it begs the question is there a 100mph pass in it and I dont think so. I suppose the same special cut Tim at performance did to my 32 done to a 34 might be driveable and do it.

Today the air was better. Not as cold but high air pressure and very dry. The motor loved it and another 1mph/100rpm faster with my little prop. I was really tempted to put the 32 on but it was a little windy.

Really want to thank Tim at Performance Propeller for the special work he did to the prop. I may go ahead and cut the tuner to Hydrotecs specs which hurts bottom end but was good for 10hp up top on their dyno.

I took before and after GPS pics with time stamps and odometer reading since I was alone

20141108_091547.jpg 20141108_091703.jpg
    Last edited by cbailey; 11-11-2014 at 06:07 AM.

16. Member
    Love the sound of that lil' screamer! What HP do you think it's putting out with all the mods?

17. Member
    I am bumping this thread to the top. I would like to get some info on 2 things: 1) the inshore gearcase, and 2) stuffing the intake. I see that CCMS makes the intake stuffer kit for the V4 now. Has anyone installed this kit and can give real world results? Also, the inshore gearcase.... will it fit a 1989 130hp 20" mid section? I know the inshore was made for the newer motors so wasn't sure if it would fit something that old? TIA

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345