Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Rubber coated cages. I really dont know what kind of power its going to make. I am spending a lot of time working on little things in the intake and exhaust now (not porting). It all adds up. I think I should have everything ready to start assembling it next week.

2. Member
    That's an awesome project post some pics of the hull if you can.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    That's an awesome project post some pics of the hull if you can.
    Just came in from finishing up the epoxy in the front half. No sharp corners/edges and a lot of "stuffing".

IMAG0335.jpgIMAG1473.jpg

4. Member

5. Member
    Lots of video. Theres more on my youtube channel

Watch this one until the end. I am doing about 75mph when the orange/white Quartershot strolls by at about 100mph. Then we hit the open lake, things get rough, and the 13' full tunnel does its thing 12 minutes in or so.
    And yes, I installed solid mounts after watching that video!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 08-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.

6. Member
    Some on my wifes channel.
    One of my Favorites...little choppy

7. Member
    Powerhead is done and mid section is back together. Just need to get it it bolted up and rigged.

This is where weight was added to the crank for balancing. 1 tungsten plug at the bottom end and 3 at the top.

Pistons, rods, bearing etc. balanced to within 1/10th of a gram.

Assembly day

More epoxy over the bolts in the intake after it was assembled

Sunday or Monday night...its all a blur!

Had to surface the exhaust adapter. Is the CNC big enough?

Rubber intake stuffers from a Yamaha 220 Special courtesy of Wayne at Hydrotec

Removed Yamaha choke plates and installed OMC cold start primer.

Going to start with 215 main jets which should be fat. Once its broken in, carbs will be bored to 36mm.

Should be running soon.

that motor should scream!!!!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Xpress Boats Moderator
    The motor looks awesome! I think you'll be on the fat side with that jetting as well.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress spanky View Post
    The motor looks awesome! I think you'll be on the fat side with that jetting as well.
    Thats the plan for break in. I should end up around 195-200. I am going to bore the carbs to 36MM later.

Two of us picked up the powerhead and set it on the mid today. Got the electric fuel pump mounted and plumbed and was going to start putting the wiring on but got rained out.

11. Member
    So, do I start it tomorrow....on Friday the 13th?

12. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Well my Friday the 13th has went very well,so hopefully you'll be safe to start it! I was going to post yesterday about the jetting,but didn't and you may already know.When your to rich it will NOT run the top end numbers that it will when jetted correctly.A old 150 that i messed with a few years ago,i ordered the next 3 oversizes of jets,and tried them.The stock mains ran the very best top speeds,(it was a stock motor) and with each increase it dropped a full 1 mph.The other thing was each time i went up a size,it accelerated better till it hit top end.I figure the boat carbs will be the same as any other,and when you increase the bore size you'll have to make it richer due to less signal from the bigger bore.It should be like running 2 big 4 barrel carbs on a small block,normal size jets you'll be lean and by the time you get them jetted correctly you'd swear they would be rich.The opposite applies as well.Put a small carb on a big motor,and you'll have to jet it down to get the correct air/fuel ratio.

13. Member
    Its just going to be rich for break in then I will start backing it down. It would be running right now but I am having electrical gremlins.

14. Xpress Boats Moderator
    I bet you'll find your problem,and get it fixed in short order. If there is something that i may be able to help you with,just ask and i'll do my best.

15. Member
    Fire in the holes.

and it comes to life!!!

are you looking to get 90 mph out of her?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    and it comes to life!!!

are you looking to get 90 mph out of her?
    The speed calculator we are using has been very accurate. It is putting me at 94mph. That assuing some thing but I am putting my money on a mid 9 pass once its dialed in.

18. Member
    She sounds nasty. Serious intake growl. I ran it on the trailer between thunder storms. Hopefully can go for a ride in the morning.

19. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Sounds good! Hopefully the weather will let you run the crap out of it in the morning.

20. Member
    Two hours of run time before I was chased in by the rain. Ran flawless and its incredibly smooth. Balancing the rotating parts really made a huge difference. Feels like an electric motor.
    Its super rich on jetting, timing is conservative, and she pulls hard without even getting on it much.
    The small tach you see on the dash is a TrailTech TTO. It gives total running hours and RPM, max RPM (which is resettable). They are only $35 and the only wiring you do is wrapping a small wire around you spark plug wire. Power is self contained.

Sounds like its missing on the video but it wasnt. Wind must have been messing with the mic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast