USA fixed my 99 21ss extreme V.I.E.W. system tonight

For those who know what that is, they are all broken nowadays. I was prepping to remove the heads-up display (tired of looking at it) and replace my cracking dash panels. While removing zip ties to figure out how to get the view selection switches loose (molex pin removal required if you don't want to cut), I decided to pull the black box also. Cracked it open inside, and what a mess. One power wire corroded completely loose, several rusty leads on non-tinned areas, backplane coating peeling off the copper. Looked fixable to me! :-)
    About an hour later after studying, circuit testing and a couple of minor reroutes, took it back to the boat, turned the key and was greeted with a bright red "Stratos #1".
    Success!!! still more work to do, the speedo pitot pressure sensor was totally loose from it's circuit board (allowing water to freely flow into the black box, a known common failure of these units, I plan to unsolder that gizmo, and move it out from the chassis, so any future issues only affect that, as well as regluing and epoxying it to be MUCH stronger.
    But I tested all the modes, and readouts all are working.
    Caveat, this is a Texas inland kept boat, in more humid, or saltwater conditions, these units maybe totally shot. Several I.C.s on mine had corrosion and/or rust evident, much farther along may have been too much. But they CAN be fixed. Now to finish the dash panel redos.

2. Member
    Christexan. When you removed your view did you run into any problems? Also, will the boat be operational without the view system? I'm looking to remove it if I can't get it to work. Any info would be great.

3. Member
    Wow, was looking for something else and came across this long-ago post and (apologies) response question! For the "Stratos3317" user, I do apologize I never saw this 6 years ago, LOL, you've probably sorted out the V.I.E.W. system is completely optional but for anyone else who may stumble on this... (so long as you cap off the pitot tube from the speedometer into the view system so you don't have a small stream of water flowing into the boat all the time).
    Oh, and for the record, mine still works, but it's not reliable, cuts out periodically and I've just not bothered with it any further since I wrote the above.