Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter FX21 porpoising

Has anyone had trouble with a Skeeter FX21 porpoising. I have 2 power poles and when there is water in the live wells the boat porpoises until I reach RPMs of about 4000.

Is this a new (to you) boat? Many boats, but Skeeters in particular, perform best with less trim. I've talked to a lot of new Skeeter owners who said the same thing, and in every case they hadn't had their boat very long and were simply over trimming the outboard. If you are getting porpoising, then you are trimmed to high. Keep the trim down. When you first think about slowing down, your first move should be with the trim (down) not the throttle. When accelerating, don't be so quick to trim up, and trim it less than you would normally. With a little wheel time this will becoming second nature and should completely eliminate the problem.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. Banned
    don't own a Skeeter but 2 poles/pumps/brakcets, 4 batteries and water in the wells is alot more weight than you think.

Trim down. fixed.

5. Member
    combination of throttle and trim, you'll figure it out, sometimes less trim and more throttle is better, trim down before throttling down also.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Is this a new (to you) boat? Many boats, but Skeeters in particular, perform best with less trim. I've talked to a lot of new Skeeter owners who said the same thing, and in every case they hadn't had their boat very long and were simply over trimming the outboard. If you are getting porpoising, then you are trimmed to high. Keep the trim down. When you first think about slowing down, your first move should be with the trim (down) not the throttle. When accelerating, don't be so quick to trim up, and trim it less than you would normally. With a little wheel time this will becoming second nature and should completely eliminate the problem.
    This is completely correct...........

2012 Skeeter TZX 190/Yamaha 175 HPDI

7. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    Too heavy in the back...... Trim er down

8. Member
    This is my 3rd Skeeter. The previous one was a ZX225 and I did not have this trouble. I do trim down before slowing down and also keep the boat trimed down with acceleration until I reach a good speed. The problem is worse when the live wells are full. I really can't trim down any more than already done. I am investigating getting a wedge for the jack plate to increase the "trim down". Has anyone ever used a wedge?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRJ View Post
    This is my 3rd Skeeter. The previous one was a ZX225 and I did not have this trouble. I do trim down before slowing down and also keep the boat trimed down with acceleration until I reach a good speed. The problem is worse when the live wells are full. I really can't trim down any more than already done. I am investigating getting a wedge for the jack plate to increase the "trim down". Has anyone ever used a wedge?
    All my old skeeters had neg trim wedges in them. These were old 2006 era ZX225's.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

If you look above in RRod's post at his pic of his boat running, Note how low the rooster tail is... its just about cowling height. Thats as high as your bug is ever gonna need be trimmed.
    They like very little trim. So trim all the way under until you are up on plane then trim up and no more than what you see there.

11. Member
    I also have a FX21 and experience the same porpoising as you are experiencing. If you want to run in the 300/3500 rpm range, the solution I have found is to run the boat up to about 4000+ rpm, then start triming down and coming off the rpms. I have found no combination of trim and hyd jackplate setting that will allow one to run up to 3000/3500 rpm without propoising. As you have observed the heavier the load in the rear, the worse the problem.

A friend of mine (Skeeter national team member) just got his new FX21 and told me that he helped the situation by having more cup added to his 25T1. I suggest you speak with Mark Croxton about your situation and see if he thinks more cup will help.

Good luck!

12. Member
    my bug is 08 SL210 Yam F225 with the same porpoise issue from 3000 to just under 4k rpms.
    mine (new to me) came with wedge but no jackplate.

Where do I buy wedges and can I buy them at different angles? (thinking maybe adding a jackplate at this same angle isnt really a solution)

I've tried the trim down thing and it's true, this boat with wedge and a couple of livewells full and a couple of people and 4 batteries MUST be trimmed all the way down to launch and run anywhere under 4000R's

(that said, even all down trim with that same crew or more, she porpoises. Havent tried putting crew up front, but might try it just to know what happens)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    I also have a FX21 and experience the same porpoising as you are experiencing. If you want to run in the 300/3500 rpm range, the solution I have found is to run the boat up to about 4000+ rpm, then start triming down and coming off the rpms. I have found no combination of trim and hyd jackplate setting that will allow one to run up to 3000/3500 rpm without propoising. As you have observed the heavier the load in the rear, the worse the problem.

A friend of mine (Skeeter national team member) just got his new FX21 and told me that he helped the situation by having more cup added to his 25T1. I suggest you speak with Mark Croxton about your situation and see if he thinks more cup will help.

Good luck!

i keep reading these and all i can do is laugh and think: Who Drives less than Wide F'in Open anyways? I know I know.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton180DC View Post
    i keep reading these and all i can do is laugh and think: Who Drives less than Wide F'in Open anyways? I know I know.
    I knew that was coming

This is common in the Skeeters. Like others have already said. Play with the trim and it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    I knew that was coming
    mine has two speeds Stopped and WFO!!!

Really here you guys go:

Bob's Reversible Transom Wedges

17. Member
    3 deg transom wedge and no more problem.
    Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250 SHO!

18. Member
    Thanks for the input. I have asked the Skeeter dealer in the area to get the 3 degree wedges. I will also investigate the added cupping to the prop. With the live wells full I had my partner go up to the front butt seat and he weighs over 200 lbs. That didn't really help. The boat still hopped like a rabbit. Hopefully the wedges will help. Does anyone have any experience with a 4 blade prop?

Wedges are $45, and will likely fix the issue. Adding cup or a 4 blade will all help somewhat but at much more $$$$

20. Member
    mine already has those, do they offer some with more angle or is that crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Triton180DC View Post
    mine has two speeds Stopped and WFO!!!

Really here you guys go:

Bob's Reversible Transom Wedges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast