Tournament Fisherman

519VX 2003 front control panel no lights | no trim |

Hi guys,

i got a RANGER 519VX 2003 and the front control panel stopped working : see pic:

32829-1-lg.jpg

there is no light on the panel. trim does not work, but everything does work from the driver seat controls and lights are on there.
    it did work a week ago and the only thing changed is i added a cable for a headlight from the accesory switch at the driver seat controlling a head light up front. i checked plugs underneath the panel and all is plugged in.
    i tried the computer reset method that i read elsewhere. no luck
    does anyone know if there is a fuse associated to this panel alone?
    or any other place where to maybe start looking?
    thanks so much in advance!

2. Banned
    I would check connections under the dash as well. I am not sure (can't remember) but I thought there was a connection for the harness controls under the dash around the holes that run the wires in and out. I would also double check and see if you have any power at all to the front accessory panel. It really sounds like you pull apart a connector somewhere.

3. Member
    Same thing happened to my 2003 185vx. i emailed ranger, thet say it was a bad switch...i paid 112 bucks and got a new switch. it still wouldnt work. I ended up using a wire tester and the orange wire that brings power to the switch was not bringing any power. Emailed ranger back and they said that is must be a bad relay in the circuit board which was like 575 bucks!!!! so, what i did was just splice a hot wire into the orange wire that brings the power to the switch. (also used an inline fuse just incase, so i didnt burn out the switch) it works fine absolutely no problems.!!! also, sent the switch i ordered back to ranger and got a full reimbursement. so check the wires first with a wire tester to ensure they all have power running to the switch
    2003 Comanche 185 DVX w/175 Optimax

4. Member
    Also, im pretty sure i burnt the relay out when i was trimming the engine with the front switch, and using the trolling motor at the same time, so i would not recomend using the trolling motor at the exact same time you attempt to trim the engine.

5. Member
    I know the newer Z pads, you can disconnect from the battery, both positive and negative, and leave alone for 10 minutes, and then reconnect and try. The dealer couldn't tell me what it does as he wasn't sure, but they have been told to try this at the dealer meeting before they claimed a keypad on warranty.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lstocke1 View Post
    I know the newer Z pads, you can disconnect from the battery, both positive and negative, and leave alone for 10 minutes, and then reconnect and try. The dealer couldn't tell me what it does as he wasn't sure, but they have been told to try this at the dealer meeting before they claimed a keypad on warranty.

Yea a 2003 is completely different. The bow switch plugs into a wire harness that runs through the circuit/fuse board in the starboard rod locker. From there, to the battery.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quack811 View Post
    Also, im pretty sure i burnt the relay out when i was trimming the engine with the front switch, and using the trolling motor at the same time, so i would not recomend using the trolling motor at the exact same time you attempt to trim the engine.
    This should not happen, two completely different circuits.

8. Member
    Well its coincidental aint it...? I doubt ur an electrician or a computer circuit tech. I'm just saying the reason i believe burnt a relay out on the circuit board. Not to mention my switch worked intermittenly after it stopped, when i was trouble shooting in the driveway...i would use the switch when it worked then i would run the trim button and use the trolling motor and instantly trim switch wouldnt work. Electricity/fuses/relays/surges all work in funny ways. So unless this has happened to you personally, its kinda tough to sit there and think you have an opinion. By the way, my brother inlaw is an electrician and he reviewed the whole wiring diagram in the owners manual and its completely possible to have a surge in your system, and if possible to burn out the relay.

9. Tournament Fisherman
    ok here is what i found.. looked and looked for hours. checked wires.. messured voltages..and came to a fuse that was out.. i guess sometimes its easy and sometimes you just get lucky! :)

10. Banned
    thanks for the update Rico

11. Member
    Similar issue last week. It was the one of the fuses under the cowl covering of the outboard. Fuses were not blown. I just removed the fuses to test and reinserted the same fuse ( there were two of these) , and then everything started working. Go figure. I keep a set of these fuses taped to the wires where these fuses are located for that rainy day, but did not not need them this time.