Middle seat replace with step (186 XT) ideas?

Hi Guys,

I have a 186xt and I would like to take out the middle seat and replace with something fairly flat that would act as a lid for the storage compartment and a step to the back deck. A piece of wood would probably be the easiest, but I'd rather have something that was weatherproof. Has anyone taken out the middle seat and replaced it with something?...Any suggestions on material or pics if you've done it
    would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Member
    I used to have the same boat. Middle seat design is poor because you have to step on it to get back and forth to back deck. But I would replace it with a fold-down style seat that has a hard back that doubles as a step/cup holder. A number of online websites advertise such a product. Then, you still have a seat when needed, or a step when not. I think the ones I saw advertised cost less than $100. Just do a google search for boat seats and you should find one that will suit your needs. A buddy of mine had the 176XT with the same setup and replaced it with a piece of plywood. It looked pretty bad.

Here's what I used on my 176xt; King Plastic - Cut to Size Black King Starboard Plastic Sheet #13770-42004 They cut it to the size you need and they will router the edge. I went with 1/8 round over on one side. It turned out great. I used camper tape as a seal on the bottom. Use the existing hinge just get some 1/2" stainless screws. Be extra careful drilling the holes. Make sure you don't drill all the way through. I went with the 1/2" thick.

4. Member
    I had a local guy make this for my 176XT. The center step area is a rubber tread plate design panel.

I wish he had made it a storage box, but he used scrap material and did it for an extremely low price so I can't complain.

Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

5. Banned
    I made one out of plywood, and covered it with a piece of carpeted floor mat from Walmart; a perfect match for the boat carpet. I used some foam tape around the storage box opening to semi-waterproof it.

6. Member
    I used a cutting board from Bed Bath & Beyond on my 176XT. The nylon/plastic board came in a size that was a perfect fit (14.5" X 19.5" X 1/2"). Just drill holes for mounting to original hinge & apply some i/o carpet with contact cement and you're good to go. It has helt up to m 220 lb partner for a season.
    --------------
    Nick O
    Winter Springs, FL
    Stratos 176XT
    Terrova 80# w/iPilot
    898c SI - 998 c HD SI
    7.510 - 7.510

image.jpgHere's a pic of mine.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyg3! View Post
    image.jpgHere's a pic of mine.
    Mine looks about the same, although with carpet. I painted the plywood to seal it, and then put carpet over it. I would have used something like yours if I stored my boat outside.

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for the pics......I think I'm going to go with the black starboard. Thanks for the link kyg3.

You are welcome.

11. Member
    check out catbass.com in the store carpeted step box

12. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

13. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    Lol, marauders last activity on BBC was in 2017.

14. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB8 View Post
    Lol, marauders last activity on BBC was in 2017.
    lol
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel