Thread: Ethanol?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ethanol?

I own a Triton TR-17 with a 125 hp Mercury from 2000. I bought it used from a guy that I've fished with and trust. I rode on the boat a couple of times with him and the motor had no issues what so ever. Ever since I've owned it has nothing but problems. It has a lot of trouble starting and sometimes won't start at all. Sometimes it will crank but then shut off and other times it won't even turn over. There isn't anything physically wrong with the motor (It was inspected by a mechanic) and I have come to believe that the problem is being caused by high amounts of ethanol in the gas I've used. I regularly use sta-bil on every fill-up but the problem remains inconsistent (sometimes the motor works great and sometimes it sucks). Has anybody else experienced problems with ethanol in gas and if so what did you do to fix it? I'm fairly new to boat owning and any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Delta Hotel
    I am not a mechanic, but I would remove all your gas from tank, replace all your fuel lines, primer bulb and have your fuel injectors or carb cleaned. Atleast you will have peice of mind that your fuel is good to the motor.

Agree with above post, but i would change the fuel filter too! It definately souns like fuel delivery. Actually just thought it could also be bad spark to the plugs.

4. Member
    Ethanol has nothing to do with engines not cranking over at all. Sounds like bad battery connections or bad ground on main engine lead. Get a friend that knows engines, or spend some $ at a marine repair facility.

5. Banned
    Look in your area to see if you can find some ethanol free fuel. There are a few stations around here that sell it.

Is this a problem with COLD cranking only? Or, does it do it throughout the day...even after the motor is warm?

7. Member
    Forget the Sta-Bil and start using Quickleen in that Merc motor. Or use the Sta-Bil along with the Quickleen. Every tank. If you can find non-ethanol fuel, start using it and only it. This isn't going to fix the problems you are now experiencing, but is a good practice to start and may prevent a future problem.

8. Member
    I had a similar problem. Found out the fuel pump needed to be replaced and I also changed all my fuel lines, fuel filter and primer bulb. While doing so I found a vacuum line that had a 3/4" tear in it. I replaced all those lines too. Runs like a champ. Now I always use seafoam and startron with every fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall256 View Post
    Is this a problem with COLD cranking only? Or, does it do it throughout the day...even after the motor is warm?
    The problem occurs throughout the day, even with warm cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Forget the Sta-Bil and start using Quickleen in that Merc motor. Or use the Sta-Bil along with the Quickleen. Every tank. If you can find non-ethanol fuel, start using it and only it. This isn't going to fix the problems you are now experiencing, but is a good practice to start and may prevent a future problem.
    Do you put quickleen in non-ethanol gas also or only in ethanol gas?

You might want to read through the attached link....

Mercury Fuel Care System Advantage | Mercury Marine

Couple stupid questions...not trying to insult....just have to ask.

You are pumping your bulb and making sure it's firm before you try to crank the motor?
    You do know to push in on the key to choke the engine, and to hold in on the key while cranking until the motor fires?

Last, I haven't seen you post any comments from your buddy that you bought the boat from....what's he saying about this?

Here's another good link to read over...testing fuel

Test gas for ethanol to protect your engines from contaminated E10 gasoline.

Stabil(blue formula)helps keep the ethanol from doing the damage to your fuel lines/bulb.
    Quickleen is for keeping the carbon from building up in your engine.

BOTH are in every tank of fuel on my boat!

Mercury also makes quickcare (does the same thing as the stabil)and quickstore (for extended storage) all good stuff, I just preffer the stabil measuring bottle. It's all priced about the same.
    '96 Astro S-18 FS Merc 135 w/beat up Laser 21p...NEW PB 7 lb 5oz 6/13/14

I'd make sure battery power and cables were strong enough. I thought i had fuel problems and in maintaining the electronics i discovered a too small wiring and bad connections. Now she fires up perfect !
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

As stated by billnorman1 and haveme1, you are describing an electrical problem, not a fuel problem. (Unless the reason that it "won't even turn over" is that you are cranking it so much that you are overheating the starter.) However, if you have the original fuel lines on the boat and motor, (13 yrs. old now?), it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them as a matter of routine maintenance.
    Kevin
    2009 Champion 183CX

17. Member
    Quick kleen, startron, seafoam to every tank, and use mercury engine tune every 50 hours..

18. Member
    Wow...ethanol keeps them from turning over too, huh? I had no idea... I'm joking!!!!! <<<sadly after reading some of the posts above I felt the need to put the "joking" park...

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaySlayer View Post
    Wow...ethanol keeps them from turning over too, huh? I had no idea... I'm joking!!!!! <<<sadly after reading some of the posts above I felt the need to put the "joking" park...
    I have heard reports of too much alcohol resulting in cars turning over, but very few boats.

Sometimes turns over and sometimes doesn't. Does it crank? If yes I'd also check the kill switch it could be a loose connection. Let us know how you make out with it. Your findings could help someone else out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast