Praying Shimano Stradic 2500 Reel Grinding, Please Help!

I have a Stradic 2500 that I bought used. I have taken it all apart and it appears that the drive gear is grinding (see pic). I don't know why but I have taken it apart and put it back together and it just doesn't appear to sit straight in there. It used to feel like it hand sand in it but now that i took it apart it locks up before I get a full rotation of the handle. I can wind backward and go to the starting point but cant make it 360 degrees anymore. FYI this is not a pic of my reel, on mine the gear isn't sitting that straight. Can anyone provide some insight?

yep, sounds like gears are not indexed properly, and you main bearing is shot. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    That is the same problem I had with my 1000FI. And it was less than a year old and maybe used 10 times. My 2500CI4 isn't much better either.

4. Member
    The odd thing is that it seems to work fine if I put the handle on the other side. Does this indicate that it may be something different? Is there anything I can buy parts-wise to fix it if it is shot?

yes, that definitely says something....but it's really hard to say without seeing the reel, but changing the leverage point and having the reel free up could indicate several issues. Either bearing, chipped oscillation or main gear, or bent spool shaft. To replace all of the internals your looking at $40-$50 parts alone. Dan

6. Member
    Is there a way for me to check the main gear to see if its chipped or identify that the spool shaft is bent? Shoot, if im going to spend that much I might as well replace the reel.

not unless you know what your looking for. Spinning reels can be a pain. Dan

8. Member
    Will parts from a Sedona or other 2500 series Shimano work? Also, reelex its a small request but do you have a screw for the backside of a handle for a Shimano Scorpion Metanium XT?

No, and No....sorry. Dan

10. Member
    i figured it out. The guy i bought it from put the wrong screw in it and the worm gear was catching. Thanks everyone!