Thread: motor die's

motor die's

I ordered a new boat last year and received it in March of 2012. It has a 2012 Pro XS on it and from day 1 have had problems with it dying. I have had it to my dealer 4 different times and they can't find anything wrong. When you put it in gear it shuts off like you turned the key off. Doesn't matter, forward or reverse. I can be pulling to the dock and put in reverse to stop....dies. Back it off the trailer, shift it forward ...dies. Leave from fishing spot....dies. Sometimes might die 4 or 5 times before I can even take off. Coil went out with about 10hrs on it and they told me that was my problem....60hrs later, still doing it. Not very happy with my Mercury. Any ideas???

2. Banned
    If it does it every time, any reputable dealer should be able to figure it out.

3. Member
    Very reputable dealer. Said they could never get it to die. At one time it went almost a month without doing it. That's the headache. I can go to the lake straight from the dealer which is hour and a half from my house and it will die coming off the trailer. That is what is driving me nuts.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    VERIFY THROTTLE PLATE AIRGAP.

This airgap is CRITICAL to proper idle performance... and if off by more than .002", it will cause idle problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

It might be something simple. I have an older Optimax and it will do exactly what you describe if I do not pump the bulb before every start. It only does this in the water. On the hose it never does it...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    VERIFY THROTTLE PLATE AIRGAP.

This airgap is CRITICAL to proper idle performance... and if off by more than .002", it will cause idle problems.
    Don, can you explain how to verify throttle plate airgap?, tools, gages, whats needed to do this and what gets adjusted if off?
    2008 proxs 225

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bill- let's get in a separate thread with YOUR serial number, as Hi-Jacking is heavily frowned upon.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Chad B Z119 View Post
    Coil went out with about 10hrs on it and they told me that was my problem....
    A coil went out and they didn't replace it under warranty?

9. Member
    Note date of original post - 5.20.2013.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax