Checking power trim fluid level

When checking fluid level Don has written "boat level" when my boat is level the transom and thus motor are at an angle of 15-20 degrees still. So is this correct or should the trim reservior be plum (staight up and down)?

Thats a good question. Never thought about it really......i would say boat level is fine and the 15-20 degrees is compensated for. Would have to lower the front quite a bit in order to get the trim unit itself level.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Boat Level" is about the best you're going to be able to do.

If you have a SUBSTANTIALLY deep transom angle on your boat, it MAY be necessary to drop the nose of the boat as low as possible (you would note that the trim worked fine in the lower trim range, but "gurgled/churned" as it reached near the top of the tilt range due to inadequate fluid level).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don you just described exactly what mine is doing! It also drops down a little (1/4 way) when left sitting for a few hours but I have never seen any oil leakage from the rams or on the garage floor. I just wanted to be sure if I dropped the nose I wouldn't be overfilling my unit. Once again the BBC and its great people to the rescue.. Thank you all