Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best oxygen system for livewells?

I would like to add something to my livewells to help protect my fish on tournament day during the hot days of summer. I have a 2013 Triton 20XS. What is the best system to buy? Any suggestions and info would be appreciated.
    Angler's Choice Pro-Staff
    Team Triton Boats
    Mercury Pro-Team

2. Fishing is a Passion
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Check out the blog " Texas can teach us how it's done " on the metroreservoiranglers.com site. This is an excellent system. I have it in my boat . It uses no batteries, no noise. The bass stay at the bottom of the live well instead of at the top gasping for air.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstandiford View Post
    Check out the blog " Texas can teach us how it's done " on the metroreservoiranglers.com site. This is an excellent system. I have it in my boat . It uses no batteries, no noise. The bass stay at the bottom of the live well instead of at the top gasping for air.
    This link works much better.

Texas Can Teach Us How It's Done! | MRA
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pro-Air System?
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

6. Member
    I was just thinking about this myself as it's getting warmer here in NC. I'll be adding Oxygenators to my livewell this weekend. I'm doing one on each side. I had an issue with my livewell my last tournament so I want to see how it works out. I'll probably post a thread on my install as well. I will also be adding a Koolwell system next month. Nothing is more important than the health of the fish!!! That's the whole reason we do this in the first place!!!

Chris

7. Fishing is a Passion
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foo_g View Post
    I have that on my ARIES and had it in my BassMaster, it's always worked great for me.

9. Member
    u got great livewells on ur triton with pro air system that should be plenty good!i haven't lost a fish in 8 years do to livewells in my triton!sure some have bleed out from being hooked in tongue and were bleeding bad.but never cause my livewell killed em.

Oxygenater, you can see the cloud of oxygen coming out of it.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

11. Manatee zones SUCK!!! FL Dell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foo_g View Post

I use it in my livewell and LOVE it!!! I fill my well and use just the pro air 99% of the time. Has WAY less draw on your battery.
    20XRD

12. Banned
    Don't waste your money, if you have any doubts read this: http://www.slideshare.net/raminlandfish/the-oxygenator-how-effective-is-it

13. Member
    Welll.... that sucks. Glad I wasted my money.

14. Member
    I really like that injection system with the bottle on tpwd page. I have oxygenators in both livewells and unless you run your recirc on constant fish still will die. The next boat I get I will install that injection system. Throw a bag or two of ice in the morning and turn the bottle on when you put in your first fish and you should be good for most of the day.

I am very interested in looking at a set of these. New Pro Products
    I was also looking at the oxygenator, but the test results don't look favorable.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

16. Member
    im not sure if you are looking for pro air system or not. Not even sure if this is a good deal but there are two units on ebay.
    T H Marine Pro Air System Livewell Pump | eBay

dchance, I just installed the VT-2 ventilation system on my 09 20x3. Took about 30 min to install. Haven't fished a tourney yet so really can't give a testimony but from everything I've read, they seem to work well. I also use the Pro-Air system but made mine portable, didn't mount anything inside the livewells. I just ran a wire from an accessory switch and sit it near the livewells and drop the stones in. Since I've been using that I haven't lost a fish but if this VT-2 is the real deal, I may stop using the Pro-Air as well.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

18. Banned
    I found the TPWD test very informative! I think we got the real-deal scientific analysis from them. Thanks for posting that link. I would love it if they did the same test with the Pro-Air and VT-2.

I have used the T&H Marine Pro Air in boats I've owned since 1991. There are two must haves for a Pro-Air system in my opinion: anti-siphon valves & bigger stones (both of which are availabe from an aquarium supply source). The anti-siphon valve prevents water from getting back to the pump. (Water damage is the #1 reason for air pump failure.) I always up-size the air stones to 6 inch bar shaped stones in each livewell for higher bubble output - the pump has sufficient flow rate to handle it. The stone and tubing were installed with small dabs of aquarium silicone as required and then taped in place until the silicone cured. Notice that I did not use the stones or tubing mounting plates that come with the Pro-Air kit.

I live in TX now, but for many years, I lived in and tournament fished in South FL where water is often shallow and hot, and the weather hotter! I had 5 fish bags as large as 35# kept in one livewell and it was extremely rare that I lost a fish. A loss was typically more likely to be injury related rather than the livewell environment. I like and use the Pro-Air, but can't prove how efficient it is. At least it was economical, and they last for years when properly installed. I had very satisfactory results from my 5-pronged approach to livewell management. I was so well known for lively fish that I was asked by numerous friends to help set up their livewells like mine. Here is what I did with success:

1) Livewell prep: Fill it with the cleanest coolest water available, not in a shallow hot cove. Fill it and plug the overflow to prevent water loss from holeshot or a rough ride. Turn on the recirculator and Pro-Air - they will start to increase the O2 level. On most days, I never drained or added water once I filled the livewell initially. My approach was to manage the water I had, and not "start over" by adding new water from the lake.

2) Temperature - the foundation of success, extremely important for multiple reasons. I managed this with multiple frozen 2 liter soda bottles placed in the livewell (with the cap on) one at a time during the day to cool water and keep it that way. I used the second livewell as a cooler for about 8 fozen jugs. (I used to pad the livewell with a beach towel. Today I'd use a couple of soft cooler bags stuffed into the livewell.) Remember, 70F is not even too cold, but do what you can.

3) Add livewell chemical product of your choice. The purpose is to manage contamination build-up in water you worked to cool down. If you do well fishing, add it again later in the day. Adding more chemical beats having to cool water down all over again.

4) Pro-Air bubbler: Run constantly.

5) Recirculator pump: I ran the recirculator constantly any time the big motor was running. While fishing, if the livewell had a light load of fish, I chose an appropriate timer cycle time for the recirculator. If I had a good bag going, I ran it 100%.

I also purchased the VT-2 but I didn't install them yet. I am a little reluctant to do so because they do not have any kind of baffle to stop water from splashing out of the livewell. Can you please comment or send me a pm letting me know if you are experiencing water splashing thru the vents. Thanks Carlton
    Quote Originally Posted by Retafsp View Post
    dchance, I just installed the VT-2 ventilation system on my 09 20x3. Took about 30 min to install. Haven't fished a tourney yet so really can't give a testimony but from everything I've read, they seem to work well. I also use the Pro-Air system but made mine portable, didn't mount anything inside the livewells. I just ran a wire from an accessory switch and sit it near the livewells and drop the stones in. Since I've been using that I haven't lost a fish but if this VT-2 is the real deal, I may stop using the Pro-Air as well.

20. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Got an oxygen bottle in my boat and will in every boat I own from now on! When you can put 3 1/2 dozen blueback herring in the livewell at 5am, never turn the livewell pumps on or change water, 85 degree day, take what's left out at 5pm turn them loose and not lose 1 herring that's impressive!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast