Skeeter ZX200 setup w/ yamaha 200 hpdi

I just purchased a 2003 skeeter zx200 w/ 200 hpdi vmax. I took it out yesterday and I only had it showing 53 mph on my gps. This was with a 1/2 tank of gas, empty boat, and 2 small adults (260lbs total). It did not matter how I trimmed the boat. I could trim it all the way up and it will throw a huge rooster tail, suck it back down a little and no change in the speed. I do not believe my rpm gauge was working so I could not tell you the rpm's. Also the hole shot seemed like I had to give it full throttle to get it out of the hole. It has a 3 blade M25 prop and a 12 inch slidemaster jackplate with 16mm rise between the two pieces of the jackplate slide. Am I missing something here??????? I figured this boat would run in the mid 60's easily.

2. Member
    Did you have it checked by a mechanic before you bought it or is it from a dealer.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Did you have it checked by a mechanic before you bought it or is it from a dealer.
    NO, Should I take it somewhere and just ask them to go through the boat? I re-checked tonight and the rpm gauge does work. I was wondering if I needed to raise the jack plate and change props???

4. Member
    25M prop is a good prop for that motor/boat combo. Is the prop damaged at all? You need to check your prop to pad measurment and move it to around 3.5" below pad and work from there. Also, what is your water pressure reading at WOT? If you don't have around 12-15 lbs of pressure, think about changing the impeller (really easy to do) I have a 19.5' boat with a 200 HPDI with a 25P T1 (bigger diameter, less RPM) and I'm getting 71 mph. You should be seeing similar numbers, plus or minus a few MPH
    Last edited by The Doc; 05-16-2013 at 08:03 AM.

5. Member
    How do you know the tach (rpm gauge) was working? If you ran it how many rpms did it turn that prop at wide open and what was you prop to pad measurment. how-measure-prop-pad-thanks-duane-harper.html If you didn't have it checked it wouldn't hurt to have a mechanic go over it.

6. Member
    I will try to run it again this weekend to tell you the rpm at WOT. My pressure gauge is not working. It stays at zero no matter what so I'm not sure what my pressure is. I thought I might un-hook the gauge and see if water runs through it. I measured my prop to pad and it was 4.25" below pad. The prop is 8:10, the edge is t perfectly sharp and smooth. Other than that the prop is in good shape.

7. Member
    The water pressure gauge probably froze and you'll need to buy a new one. It probably needs to have the fuel filter changed and probably new spark plugs. It may pay you to just have it gone over by a mechanic. You'll have to have the tach working to adjust anything and the water pressure gauge too. Don't raise the prop without knowing if you have water pressure it's won't take long to burn it up. Did you run the old gas that was in the boat or at least add fresh gas to the tank.

8. Member
    I ran the boat agian this weekend. It feels a little sluggish with throttle response even in neutral. I ran it at WOT at right around 5300 RPM's multiple times with the top speed being around 50-53mph depending on trim and water conditions. I will get a new pressure gauge ordered today and installed by this weekend hopefully. Im not sure about the spark plugs or fuel fitler wether they are new or not, but I know the guy I bought the boat from had been fishing in it and didn't act like it had any problems. He told me had put fuel injection cleaner in it on occasion. I have been running premium gas the entire time I have had it. Any other thoughts? Should I go ahead and change the fuel filter and take a spark plug out and look at it?

9. Member
    That premium gas could be half you problem. It causes them to carbon up because it burns to slow. That motor should run on 87 octane and put ring free in every tank full. I'd take all the plugs out and look at them because they could be carboned up and one of them might not be firing if 5300 is all you can turn. If it feels sluggish it could be missing. Ask the guy if he ever checked his fuel lines to see if they were breaking down.

10. Member
    While your here go down to the Yamaha board and ask about the motor they can give you more info than I can about Yamaha's. They know about the updated parts and stuff. I'm sure someone there has had one that's doing what your's is or can give you some direction to go.