Trim Calibration

Can anyone help me locate the trim sending unit on my 2012 Pro XS. I am trying to get it in sync with the analog gauge at the dash. How is that adjustment made?

2. Member
    On the transom/trim bracket, port side. If analog as you said, raise motor up so that pads are just touching trim rods. Loosen two screws on sending unit and adjust sender until gauge reads full trim. Tighten screws and recheck trim reading through full stroke.

3. Member
    Thanks Mark, I,ll give that a shot!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    On the transom/trim bracket, port side. If analog as you said, raise motor up so that pads are just touching trim rods. Loosen two screws on sending unit and adjust sender until gauge reads full trim. Tighten screws and recheck trim reading through full stroke.
    Not quite right.... on Mercury (analog) setups, the sender reads the ENTIRE TILT range of the engine (not just the TRIM range).

Setting the trim sender as described above will result in a gauge that doesn't return fully to the DOWN position.

Normally, a good starting point is to set tilt ALL THE WAY UP, with safety latch installed, and adjust sender so that the gauge reads FULL UP (dead on the line) with the key on.

Then, remove safety latch, and lower engine. Readjust as necessary to achieve "dead-on the full DOWN line" when engine is at full down and tucked position (make require a couple adjustments to get this right).

Note: The RIGGING DEALER should have made this adjustment FOR YOU.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    So would it still show full trim at top of trim rods Don? I mean, we are after full trim on the gauge at that point so we know we are at max trim while running. Or does the analog sender have a buffer zone at the end of travel so that it reads full trim for a wider range?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mark:

No... Mercury's analog trim senders will read somewhere in the 1/4-1/3 level on the trim gauge, when you're at the full TRIM angle. Sensor continues to read as the engine is TILTED, resulting in a FULL UP position at the maximum TILT angle of the engine.

Smartcraft (digital) senders are also calibrated this way.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don for the clairification on the trim adjustments. As It stands my TR 21 , 250 Pro XS does read 1/4 trim when I am running on plane , which has the hull preforming at what I think is it,s max potential!