DIY - Replacing trailer bunk carpet

It's not rocket science, but thought I'd post a pictorial DIY of my trailer bunk carpet replacement process.
    First: Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date. Lots of sharp rusty staples are in your future.
    Spend money: Buy new bunk carpet, stainless or Monel staples, bunk boards (if you need them), and lag screws (again, if you need them).
    I bought off-the-roll outdoor carpet from a home center, and new stainless lag screws and washers. My bunk boards were green-treat in excellent shape, so I removed the old carpet and simply recovered them. If you're replacing the boards, you can skip all the carpet removal steps.

Get the boat off the trailer - or in my case, I jacked the boat up off the bunks and blocked it.
    For the aft end, I screwed two boards together, then cut a shallow vee to match the bottom contour of the boat - added a piece of carpet for padding.
    1-1_bunk.JPG1-2_bunk.JPG

Remove lag screws - if you're lucky, they'll back out in one piece. Most of mine were rusty and snapped off. Go figure. Take the bunk off to work on it. I removed, re-covered and replaced one bunk at a time for safety reasons - I was paranoid about having the boat blocked up!

My carpet was pretty well shot - there were holes down to the wood in a few spots.
    1-3_bunk.JPG

Start prying staples! A straight-blade screwdriver works good. Get your kids to help - more hands makes the work go quick.
    1-4_bunk.JPG1-5_bunk.JPG
    More to come...
    Last edited by CastingCall; 10-15-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: .

A view of how the factory end wrap was done:
    1-6_bunk.JPG
    After the carpet is peeled off, here’s what’s left. A pliers and a pair of heavy workgloves works to peel the remaining rusty staples out.
    1-7_bunk.JPG1-8_bunk.JPG
    Since I snapped off several lag screws, but wanted to re-use the wood, I simply drilled new holes exactly 1/2" away from the originals.
    1-9_bunk.JPG
    I also rounded the aft end of each bunk, to break the sharp edge to help with wear on trailing edge of bunks.
    1-11_bunk.JPG
    Still more...

Cut the carpet. For my 2x4s, I cut carpet to 10” wide, and 7” longer than each board for end overlaps.
    1-12_bunk.JPG
    Center bunk board on carpet back, and stretch lengthwise. Clamp or temporary staple each end to keep tension.
    1-13-bunk.JPG
    Start in the center of the bunk, pull one side of carpet up and around to the center and staple. Work towards both ends on this one side.
    Pull the other side of the carpet around to the center firmly, and staple. I used a pliers to grab the carpet with tension while my son ran the stapler. You could also glue the carpet to the bunk, but I chose not to.
    1-14_bunk.JPG1-21_bunk.JPG
    Almost done...

The ends are very easy: cut as shown in this picture. Don’t cut the slit all the way to the bunk!
    1-15_bunk.JPG
    Fold one flap over tightly and staple, then the other flap and staple.
    1-16_bunk.JPG1-17_bunk.jpg
    Fold the carpet edges inward, then pull the flap up and over tightly and staple.
    1-18_bunk.JPG1-19_bunk.JPG
    Note: chalk marks are where the holes are - I cut out small squares to easily see the holes when re-attaching the bunks, and to keep the screws from winding up the carpet, which can cause torn threads.

Hang in there...

Voila! Finished top side edges are completely carpeted with no slits or raw carpet edges exposed!
    1-20_bunk.JPG
    The finished product. Looks a lot better than the old, dirty, ratty carpet!
    1-22_bunk.JPG
    Slide the new carpeted bunk in place, install new lag screws (I put flat washers on them this time) and snug down.
    Repeat for the other bunks.

BTW- The 1/2" shift of the bunk with the new holes was unnoticeable.

Good job !

7. Member
    Do you have this for the wheel well bunks?

My wheel well bunks are Aluminum with hd rubber trim. I put carpet over them, the ss bolts that attach them to wheel well holds carpet.
    Some have put polly carbon pices there, no carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by bpNClgmouth View Post
    Do you have this for the wheel well bunks?
    My fender boards are wood/carpet, but I have not recovered those yet. They are actually still in good shape. But I've got enough leftover carpet to do those, and the side guide bunks to boot! Just need time.

10. Banned
    I went to Lowes and got indoor outdoor carpet off a 12' roll in the back of the flooring department. The least they'd sell me was 2 linear feet.

I keep my boats in a boathouse, and had to build a 13' x 18' steel rack to sit my new Bennington tritoon on. I carpeted bolster boards on each side of my tritoon so it would center my boat on the rack. I just used galvanized roofing nails through the carpet, and it holds just fine.

This is my 3rd Summer with the same indoor outdoor carpet under my Waverunner, and it's aging well.

Well done good job thanks for the information

12. Member
    My four bunks need re-carpeted.
    How did the jack block your boat?
    I see the one pic but can you elaborate?

13. Member
    Never mind...just seen the jack stands photo.
    Maybe I'll build a custom v cradle to fit the keel forward and aft...
    Thanks has given me an idea.....lol

14. mikesxpress
    Remove carpet. Install Gatorbak.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    My four bunks need re-carpeted.
    How did the jack block your boat?
    I see the one pic but can you elaborate?
    I if you have lag bolts jack up the back, leave hook on front a tiny bit lose. All you need is an inch of room. Do them one by one.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

Quote Originally Posted by haveme1 View Post
    I if you have lag bolts jack up the back, leave hook on front a tiny bit lose. All you need is an inch of room. Do them one by one.
    Yeap, easy peasy! I used a floor jack under the back of my boat. I was able to get one side off at a time. Also for you guys who have yet to recarpet. Go to the Basscat web site. They have the good carpet.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

17. Member
    Putting this back to the top so I can find it. Currently in the process of doing mine. Thanks for the great information and pic's. This would make a great sticky post up top, IMO.

Good info. Will just add - Monel staples.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Remove carpet. Install Gatorbak.
    THIS
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS